GatorShae

Going to Jamaica to meet his family... Any Advice will be appreciated.

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello all,

So I'm flying to Jamaica on March 19th to spend a week with my fiance and meet his family. I've never been to Jamaica before so I'm not sure of general do's and don'ts in the country. Also anyone have suggestions on fun things to do while I'm there. I love food and I'm always looking for great restaurants. According to my fiance, we can go anywhere on the island that I would like to go.

Also as a side note, if anyone is wondering why I haven't been to JA before. My fiance works on a cruise ship in West Palm Beach, Florida which is about 3 hours from my house which is located near Tampa, Florida. He's going on vaction next week to visit his family in JA for a month, so I decided to take a week off from work to go down and meet my future in-laws while he is there. Also I have asked him if there are any culture differences I should be aware of and he told me to just be myself. This was not the answer I was looking for. So if anyone has any information in that area, please let me know.

Thanks.

USCIS

2-27-12: Mailed I-129F Package to TX Lockbox

3-01-12: UPS Delivery Confirmation Received

3-06-12: NOA1 Text/Email - Application has been sent to Vermont

3-09-12: NOA1 Hard Copy Received

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Dont worry ur gonna have a great time d ppl is great d food is so good an they r alot of fun things to do...the beaches r so beautiful i know ur gonna enjoy ur self am goin in august...

Timeline

Which area will you be visiting?

His family lives in St. Mary and Kingston, so we will definitely be in those two places. However, he wants to stay in Ocho Rios for a couple of days as well. Oh and I'm flying into MoBay. So I guess I'm going to be all over the place.

Dont worry ur gonna have a great time d ppl is great d food is so good an they r alot of fun things to do...the beaches r so beautiful i know ur gonna enjoy ur self am goin in august...

Thanks Ambless. I'm definitely looking forward to sipping a margarita while takin some breeze on the beach... lol

USCIS

event.png

Hello all,

So I'm flying to Jamaica on March 19th to spend a week with my fiance and meet his family. I've never been to Jamaica before so I'm not sure of general do's and don'ts in the country. Also anyone have suggestions on fun things to do while I'm there. I love food and I'm always looking for great restaurants. According to my fiance, we can go anywhere on the island that I would like to go.

Also as a side note, if anyone is wondering why I haven't been to JA before. My fiance works on a cruise ship in West Palm Beach, Florida which is about 3 hours from my house which is located near Tampa, Florida. He's going on vaction next week to visit his family in JA for a month, so I decided to take a week off from work to go down and meet my future in-laws while he is there. Also I have asked him if there are any culture differences I should be aware of and he told me to just be myself. This was not the answer I was looking for. So if anyone has any information in that area, please let me know.

Thanks.

First, your fiance is correct! Be yourself! The great thing about Jamaican culture is that if you are comfortable in yourself you will be comfortable with the Jamaican people. There are not any cultural differences that would put you at any disadvantage. So just enjoy yourself and your time with your fiance and new family.

As for places to go and things to do... there are things all around the island that you can enjoy. Food wise... I guess I'm a bit biased. I think you should go with what your gut is telling you in the moment. If you are passing by a location, smell something good, and want to taste... TRY IT! Nine times out of ten, you wont be disappointed. As for places to go, it all depends where you are. Montego Bay and Ocho Rios have some of the best tourist locations of the island. Dunns River, Dolphin Cove, Mystic Mountain... multiple golf and spa locations... and of course... the BEACH. It all depends on what you want to experience. You my want to VisitJamaica.com for suggestions and then check with your fiance for what he suggests.

Most of all, HAVE A GREAT TIME!

Be Sober, Be Vigilant!

Filed: Timeline

Just understand that they do live a bit differently then those in the states. Just be aware that in some houses there may not be any running water, you may not have air conditioner with the bugs and heat, and there is so much more to be said. He may be a bit protective because all of his friends will be checking you out. Regardless the people there are happy, friendly and so easy to get along with. The family will welcome you with open arms and will respect you to the fullest. You will also have haters eventually. To be honest after your first visit, you are going to want to keep going back, this I promise you. If you are stressed now, it will gone once you get in Jamaica. It will be hard for you to leave, but just remember you will now have a family there that you will be able to visit whenever you want. This is now your home too. Enjoy your trip!

Renee

Timeline

As for places to go, it all depends where you are. Montego Bay and Ocho Rios have some of the best tourist locations of the island. Dunns River, Dolphin Cove, Mystic Mountain... multiple golf and spa locations... and of course... the BEACH. It all depends on what you want to experience. You my want to VisitJamaica.com for suggestions and then check with your fiance for what he suggests.

Most of all, HAVE A GREAT TIME!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to google some of places you listed above. As for being myself, that's exactly what I intend to do. However, it's always nice to know little cultural things like when and how to shake people's hand, how to greet elder people, or how to tip. Ya know the little things. I guess I'll figure it out as I wander about.

USCIS

event.png

Timeline

Just understand that they do live a bit differently then those in the states. Just be aware that in some houses there may not be any running water, you may not have air conditioner with the bugs and heat, and there is so much more to be said. He may be a bit protective because all of his friends will be checking you out. Regardless the people there are happy, friendly and so easy to get along with. The family will welcome you with open arms and will respect you to the fullest. You will also have haters eventually. To be honest after your first visit, you are going to want to keep going back, this I promise you. If you are stressed now, it will gone once you get in Jamaica. It will be hard for you to leave, but just remember you will now have a family there that you will be able to visit whenever you want. This is now your home too. Enjoy your trip!

I'm starting to realize that. I found out a couple of days ago that there was no bathroom in the house and they have to use an outhouse? They also don't have A/C in the house as well, but it shouldn't be too hot. I alsofound out that they are "raising chickens", which they intend on killing and cooking for dinner while I'm there. I've never even seen a live chicken, much less killed one. Initially I said I was ok with helping, but then I started to think about all the blood and I felt like throwing up. This is definitely going to be an experience but I'm excited for it. However, I can't lie I keep having this dream of a chicken chasing me through a field with no head. My fiance said he intends on filming this entire trip because he is sure that we could win money from America's funniest home videos (he watches too much tv).

USCIS

event.png

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm starting to realize that. I found out a couple of days ago that there was no bathroom in the house and they have to use an outhouse? They also don't have A/C in the house as well, but it shouldn't be too hot. I alsofound out that they are "raising chickens", which they intend on killing and cooking for dinner while I'm there. I've never even seen a live chicken, much less killed one. Initially I said I was ok with helping, but then I started to think about all the blood and I felt like throwing up. This is definitely going to be an experience but I'm excited for it. However, I can't lie I keep having this dream of a chicken chasing me through a field with no head. My fiance said he intends on filming this entire trip because he is sure that we could win money from America's funniest home videos (he watches too much tv).

LOL @ America's Funniest Home Videos! I can only imagine!!

I sure wish I had video of my face the first time I went to Jamaica!

Back then there were no gates for the planes to pull up to at the airport. They rolled one of those big steel stair cases up to the plane and you had to lug your luggage down the stairs and into the hot Jamaican sun... but God sometimes I miss that first kiss of hot Jamaican sun... I remember taking the tourist bus across the island... the people everywhere, walking, biking, no sidewalks, kids and goats and colors and smells... Jamaica is an attack on your senses that one can never quite describe, and one you won't find anywhere else on this earth. Her people are some of the kindest and helpful, so full of life even in the face of struggle. The music will fill your heart and make your feet move even before your mind can tell them to... The food, lord, some of the best food on earth. The fruit so FRESH and full of flavor, you never believe fruit could taste so good!!

There is crime, and you must be cautious same as you would in any place. I am sure your fiance' will take care of you.

I would suggest you talk to him about getting a hotel, at least for the first night or two...

You want to have a place that feels a little like home so that you can get your bearings. It will be a lot to take in!

I went to Jamaica for many years on vacation before I met my husband there and I am grateful for the experience of learning Jamaica before sleeping in a board house in the country.

There will be music everywhere! I love that. And at night the tree frogs and crickets sing so loud you may not sleep the first night, but soon it will be like a lullaby and you may wonder how you will sleep without them. siggghhh...

You can find many trip reports online and get a glimpse of Jamaica through another's eyes, but really you need to experience it to understand...

Once you go, you know! :D(L):D

Timeline

Hello all,

Thanks.

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I love it.. So many positive comments which is so right i use to live in spanish town pretty close to kingston so thats where ill b going but trust me its gonna b fun u gonna wanna go every year...it is a little different from america but different in a good way...if ur like me u like it cause i always like to try new things an food so yea....safe trip come back an let us know how it was...

Timeline

Back then there were no gates for the planes to pull up to at the airport. They rolled one of those big steel stair cases up to the plane and you had to lug your luggage down the stairs and into the hot Jamaican sun... but God sometimes I miss that first kiss of hot Jamaican sun... I remember taking the tourist bus across the island... the people everywhere, walking, biking, no sidewalks, kids and goats and colors and smells... Jamaica is an attack on your senses that one can never quite describe, and one you won't find anywhere else on this earth. Her people are some of the kindest and helpful, so full of life even in the face of struggle. The music will fill your heart and make your feet move even before your mind can tell them to... The food, lord, some of the best food on earth. The fruit so FRESH and full of flavor, you never believe fruit could taste so good!!

When I read this, I felt like I was reading a romance novel... Lol. If it's anything like how you described it here than I know I will love it. :-)

Also, we're definitely getting a hotel. I love my indoor plumbing. lol.

USCIS

event.png

Timeline

Hi i live near tampa in st. Pete relax and enjoy u will have fun. Take lots pics. Ur fiance will tell u how to interact with his family.

Hey, how are you? I actually live in St. Pete too. That's so cool!

USCIS

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.