one...two...tree

Woman: Priest denied me Communion at mom's funeral because I'm gay

63 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I like that. Our priest would never deny the communion. Even for me and I ain't Catholic yet. My wife would kick my azz though.

That your priest would hand out the sacrament of Communion to all-takers is more evidence of the collapse of the ROman Catholic Church in America.

This Doctrine of "feel good" has caused the church to implode in every measurable way.

ON the bright side, milk-toast Catholics have abandoned the Church in such numbers, the clean up at some point will begin.

I respect other peoples Faiths, I would never enter a mosque or Synagogue on my own terms.

I respect the rules and traditions of other faiths and I am glad you do too.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

That is completely wrong.

http://www.dignityusa.org/faq.html

The part in bold above is what Right Wing Catholics fail to understand. How many Catholics of all political persuasions, actually were celibate until the night after taking their wedding vows? Celibacy before marriage is almost nonexistent among modern Catholics as with most other religious groups. So, for a community that largely engages in unmarried sex, pointing the finger at homosexual sex as something somehow more grave in sin is a fallacy.

You posted something similar some months back and I schooled you. Now your posting the same #######. Your either a Roman Catholic or your not. There is no "in between" when it comes to the Roman Catholic Church. Your either in or your out.

What is it? Are you a Roman Catholic who doesn't have a clue on their own church or you atheist, protestant, Buddhist, Muslim, agnostic, ...what?

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

That your priest would hand out the sacrament of Communion to all-takers is more evidence of the collapse of the ROman Catholic Church in America.

This Doctrine of "feel good" has caused the church to implode in every measurable way.

ON the bright side, milk-toast Catholics have abandoned the Church in such numbers, the clean up at some point will begin.

I respect other peoples Faiths, I would never enter a mosque or Synagogue on my own terms.

I respect the rules and traditions of other faiths and I am glad you do too.

The priest would be excommunicated according to Vatican policy / Roman Catholic Church Doctrine if the church was to find out. Too many Americans who are supposedly Catholic yet don't even have a clue on how their church stands on issues. Pseudo Catholics are what I call them.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

It certainly is not completely wrong. What you pointed out here is essentially what I pointed to in my reply. The Church recognizes that all people sin. You'll notice that I said "practicing homosexuality".... the Church distinguishes between natural impulses (like sexual attraction), and actively and unrepentantly practicing what the Church understands to be sinful behavior.

http://www.post-gaze...9/738380-84.stm

The Church is doing what the rest of society must do.... adapt and clarify in order to deal with the changing structures of human interaction, while remaining true to the core teachings of the Church.

So I was, in fact, completely correct....not "completely wrong." Homosexual behavior is a sin in the eyes of the Church, and a priest is correct in withholding Communion given that the person asking for that communion apparently did not seek atonement in any way.

You stated that the Catholic Church considers homosexuality a sin and that is completely wrong. That's as logical as stating that because the Catholic Church says that unmarried heterosexual sex is a sin, then heterosexuality is a sin. And to go further, singling out homosexual behavior as sin according to the Church is also a twisting of the truth. The Catholic Church's official position, which I posted above, makes it clear that the sin is sex outside of marriage, and I made the very clear point that since most heterosexual Catholics are not celibate until they marry in the church, they are no less sinning than a gay person who doesn't remain celibate.

The only reason why the Catholic Church will not marry gay couples at this point is that they point to natural law and their position that marriage is for procreation. That has actually caused issues even among heterosexual couples. For example, if you or your spouse were voluntarily made sterile and then wanted to get married in the Catholic Church, the Church will not marry you, or if you or your spouse were physiologically sterile (quadriplegic for example). Heck, all you have to do is tell a priest you have don't want to have children and they won't marry you in the Church. Nice, huh? The Catholic Church will hopefully someday change it's position that marriage should only be for procreation. Once it accepts that the love of a couple, gay or straight, is a powerfully healing and spiritual experience between the two spouses, then they will start to marry gay couples. That may be a couple of centuries from now as the Church is historically a few centuries behind in its acceptance of enlightened truth.

Edited by Mister Fancypants

You stated that the Catholic Church considers homosexuality a sin and that is completely wrong. That's as logical as stating that because the Catholic Church says that unmarried heterosexual sex is a sin, then heterosexuality is a sin. And to go further, singling out homosexual behavior as sin according to the Church is also a twisting of the truth. The Catholic Church's official position, which I posted above, makes it clear that the sin is sex outside of marriage, and I made the very clear point that since most heterosexual Catholics are not celibate until they marry in the church, they are no less sinning than a gay person who doesn't remain celibate.

The only reason why the Catholic Church will not marry gay couples at this point is that they point to natural law and their position that marriage is for procreation. That has actually caused issues even among heterosexual couples. For example, if you or your spouse were voluntarily made sterile and then wanted to get married in the Catholic Church, the Church will not marry you, or if you or your spouse were physiologically sterile (quadriplegic for example). Heck, all you have to do is tell a priest you have don't want to have children and they won't marry you in the Church. Nice, huh? The Catholic Church will hopefully someday change it's position that marriage should only be for procreation. Once it accepts that the love of a couple, gay or straight, is a powerfully healing and spiritual experience between the two spouses, then they will start to marry gay couples. That may be a couple of centuries from now as the Church is historically a few centuries behind in its acceptance of enlightened truth.

No you didn't post the Roman Catholic Church's official position on homosexuality. Now gtfo with your bs links to bs sites. Seriously this ####### gets old on here. Either post a link to the Roman Catholic site in the Vatican or save it.

There's no room on here for pseudo wanabee Roman Catholics. Your either in or your out...there's now "middle road" on this issue. Now take a hike.

sigbet.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Lol....I think Kip covered it pretty well, but I will add this:

Clearly you and I have different definitions of homosexuality (and the remainder of my post made it clear that I was talking about actually engaging in homosexual activity). I, unlike you apparently, don't label people according to their thoughts. In my book, a homosexual is someone who engages in homosexual activity. You like analogy I guess.....so here are a few. Using your reason, someone who has sexual thoughts about someone under 18 is a pedophile. Someone who lusts after a person who isn't their spouse is an adulterer. Someone who thinks they would like to rob a bank is a bank robber. You understand, I'm sure. Perhaps this is how you think. If so, we can agree to disagree. Furthermore, attempting to divert by talking about (your assumptions concerning) pre-marital celibacy of Catholics, or about contraception are simple red herrings. I assume also that your statement about "enlightened truth" is some sort of appeal to authority. If i realized you were the gatekeeper to "enlightened truth" i would never have dared to cross you on this.... :lol:

Belarus-240-animated-flag-gifs.gifUSA-240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

Timeline

To address your rebuttal in more detail:

You stated that the Catholic Church considers homosexuality a sin and that is completely wrong. That's as logical as stating that because the Catholic Church says that unmarried heterosexual sex is a sin, then heterosexuality is a sin.

The Church has made clear that they consider homosexual acts sinful, just as it considers unmarried heterosexual acts sinful. This isn't difficult. The logic of the above statement escapes me.

singling out homosexual behavior as sin according to the Church is also a twisting of the truth.

I commented on the topic in the OP. Show me where I "singled out" homosexuality as a sin. Look back at my earlier post. I said that the Church understands that all people sin.

The Catholic Church's official position, which I posted above, makes it clear that the sin is sex outside of marriage, and I made the very clear point that since most heterosexual Catholics are not celibate until they marry in the church, they are no less sinning than a gay person who doesn't remain celibate.

Firstly, you didn't cite the official position of the Church. You cited an interpretation by a gay activist group whose vision statement is:

DignityUSA envisions and works for a time when Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Catholics are affirmed and experience dignity through the integration of their spirituality with their sexuality, and as beloved persons of God participate fully in all aspects of life within the Church and Society.

Secondly, It does not make clear that the sin is sex outside of marriage. Your own (Biased, politically activist) source says "homogenital acts are wrong" not "unmarried homogenital acts are wrong."

Thirdly, you gay activist website makes a distinction that I simply don't find in any of the actual Church statements on these matters. Your site defines "being homosexual" as having homosexual urges or thoughts (or orientation, as they might say). I find nowhere in the Church's stance a conflation of homosexual thoughts with homosexuality. This is language crafted for activist purposes.

I made the very clear point that since most heterosexual Catholics are not celibate until they marry in the church, they are no less sinning than a gay person who doesn't remain celibate.

Forgive me if I treat such a sweeping generalization, presented without any evidence, with some skepticism. But more to the point, of course- a sin is a sin. The Church presents its members a chance to rectify sin through confession, followed by a sincere attempt to abstain from further sin. People who are openly engaged in an pre-marital or extra-marital sexual relationship, who refuse confession, and make no attempt to abstain from further proscribed behavior, would be treated similarly.

The only reason why the Catholic Church will not marry gay couples at this point is that they point to natural law and their position that marriage is for procreation.

No. That is one of several of your own assumptions. The Church refuses to marry Gay couples because it considers homosexuality sinful.

[The] Church will not marry you...if you or your spouse were physiologically sterile (quadriplegic for example).

You have a source for this statement?

The Catholic Church will hopefully someday change it's position that marriage should only be for procreation. Once it accepts that the love of a couple, gay or straight, is a powerfully healing and spiritual experience between the two spouses, then they will start to marry gay couples. That may be a couple of centuries from now as the Church is historically a few centuries behind in its acceptance of enlightened truth.

This sounds like a reformulation of the vision statement of the gay activist website you cited earlier.....'nuff said.

It kills me with laughter whenever I see someone trying to bs people on here by saying the Roman Catholic Church is ok with homosexuality. The Roman Catholic Church plays it pretty close to the cuff in regards to the Bible. The Bible states that homosexuality is an abomination in the eyes of God. I mean it's black and white with zero gray area.

Churches that are ok with homosexuality are a joke imo seeing how they want to rewrite the bible to suit their needs and opinions.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but in the end it's still a pig.

sigbet.jpg

Timeline

"Someone who lusts after a person who isn't their spouse is an adulterer. Someone who thinks they would like to rob a bank is a bank robber. You understand, I'm sure. Perhaps this is how you think. If so, we can agree to disagree."

It's apparent that you aren't Catholic or have not attended Mass often or you would have heard the passage many times where Jesus said that when a man has lust in his heart, he has already commited adultery. But really, you're taking this on a wild tangent instead of understanding there is no moral difference between a straight couple having sex outside of marriage and a gay couple.

secondly, the Catholic Church will not marry gay couples on the premise that the Church believes marriage is for procreation, which means the exclude even straight couples who choose not to have children. If you don't believe me, call your local Catholic Church up and talk with the priest. Tell him you wish to be married but you don't want any children. In fact, you can't get married in the Church without going through classes where they explain the Church's position on marriage.

And FWIW, my father is an ordained deacon and has married hundreds of couples in the Catholic Church. It was he who told me that perhaps a couple of centuries from now, the Church will bless gay marriages. He's taken a lot of Catholic theology courses and read dozens of books on theology.

"Someone who lusts after a person who isn't their spouse is an adulterer. Someone who thinks they would like to rob a bank is a bank robber. You understand, I'm sure. Perhaps this is how you think. If so, we can agree to disagree."

It's apparent that you aren't Catholic or have not attended Mass often or you would have heard the passage many times where Jesus said that when a man has lust in his heart, he has already commited adultery. But really, you're taking this on a wild tangent instead of understanding there is no moral difference between a straight couple having sex outside of marriage and a gay couple.

secondly, the Catholic Church will not marry gay couples on the premise that the Church believes marriage is for procreation, which means the exclude even straight couples who choose not to have children. If you don't believe me, call your local Catholic Church up and talk with the priest. Tell him you wish to be married but you don't want any children. In fact, you can't get married in the Church without going through classes where they explain the Church's position on marriage.

And FWIW, my father is an ordained deacon and has married hundreds of couples in the Catholic Church. It was he who told me that perhaps a couple of centuries from now, the Church will bless gay marriages. He's taken a lot of Catholic theology courses and read dozens of books on theology.

"Meanwhile back at the ranch...."

sigbet.jpg

Timeline

So are you now telling me that the Church views heterosexual lust as adultery (a sin), after you finished telling me earlier that the church does not view homosexual thoughts as sinful? If so, why do you you think the Church has especially favorable rules for homosexual urges? And if homosexually inclined people are already getting special treatment in the Church, why are they complaining? (Like the woman in the OP article). And the strawman fallacy you continue to employ is getting old..... I didn't take this thread on a tangent-you did by throwing in red herrings like contraception, Church doctrine on reproduction in the family, and pre-marital sex. As I pointed out at least twice before on this thread, I havent ranked or ignored anyone's sin. I simply responded accurately that the Church understands homosexuality to be sinful, and the priest in questioned behaved appropriately.

Timeline

It kills me with laughter whenever I see someone trying to bs people on here by saying the Roman Catholic Church is ok with homosexuality. The Roman Catholic Church plays it pretty close to the cuff in regards to the Bible. The Bible states that homosexuality is an abomination in the eyes of God. I mean it's black and white with zero gray area.

Churches that are ok with homosexuality are a joke imo seeing how they want to rewrite the bible to suit their needs and opinions.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but in the end it's still a pig.

The 'old testament' of the Bible actually has a lot of things that are commanded to do or not do that most modern christians, including the catholic church, conveniently ignore! The biggest is probably the seventh-day sabbath (Saturday) which the catholic church claims to have changed to Sunday on their own authority!

Timeline

So are you now telling me that the Church views heterosexual lust as adultery (a sin), after you finished telling me earlier that the church does not view homosexual thoughts as sinful? If so, why do you you think the Church has especially favorable rules for homosexual urges? And if homosexually inclined people are already getting special treatment in the Church, why are they complaining? (Like the woman in the OP article). And the strawman fallacy you continue to employ is getting old..... I didn't take this thread on a tangent-you did by throwing in red herrings like contraception, Church doctrine on reproduction in the family, and pre-marital sex. As I pointed out at least twice before on this thread, I havent ranked or ignored anyone's sin. I simply responded accurately that the Church understands homosexuality to be sinful, and the priest in questioned behaved appropriately.

You keep equating the term 'homosexuality' with engaging in sexual activity, which is false. It is no more wrong according to the Church as heterosexuality. Being physically attracted to someone isn't the same thing as lusting after someone.

If you're not Catholic, I'm not sure why you insist on trying to defend the Church's position on homosexuality if you don't seem to know or understand what it is. There are Catholic clergy who are gay. There are even certain churches, like the Episcopalian Church, that not only accepts gay clergy, but allows them to marry. You seem convinced, like so many RWN's, that homosexuality is some kind of moral stain on humanity and it's not. It isn't a choice any more than you being heterosexual is. An unmarried, gay couple having sex isn't sinning any more than an unmarried straight couple having sex. That's how the Church sees it - whether you agree with that or not.

Timeline

Did this woman ever actually say that she was engaging in homosexual 'behavior'? Being a lesbian and living with another woman in no way proves that homosexual behavior is occurring. We only ASSUME, based on human nature, that they surely must be following their NATURAL tendencies. And if you admit that this is human nature then you have admitted that it is out of their control to have these feelings, that perhaps this is how they were 'created' by their creator! What gives this priest the right to make judgments based on his own assumptions and prejudices?!