confusedlassie

Just a simple tourist visa ...

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Oh - my fiance just got back from work and I've ran your comments past him. The one person who was at the interview. In his words:

"I just came back home from work and realised that my fiancee is wasting her time talking to you, trying to show you our side. And it doesn't matter. I know what happened there. I don't care about your opinion. They literally didn't ask me too much - nothing about my connections here in the UK, which was apparently the reason the visa was refused. I've been to embassies in the past (UK, Australia etc) and usually you have a conversation - even if it's just 5 minutes - where they ask you things from different angles to get some details for what you're saying. Everything I say could be a lie - usually they ask a lot of questions to make sure they get the truth. For example if you say you are getting married they usually ask 'when are you getting married', 'how did you meet' etc. At the US embassy yesterday it didn't seem like they wanted to know the truth. It seemed like they made a quick judgement. I don't even understand why I'm trying to explain to somebody as narrow minded as you about my case - but you weren't there and you're calling me a liar. And you're not a good representation of your name - you are not 'comfortable' at all."

"They literally didn't ask me too much"? This is quite a different statement to "was not asked any questions except where he intended to visit in the USA".

It is apparent in his upset at being refused he's missed vital parts of the story when first talking to you. His statement NOW implies more than one question was asked. They might not have specifically asked "what are your ties here?" but something slightly more vague that your fiance didn't understand meant showing the mortgage etc. I've been interviewed for a US visitor visa and while I do not recall ALL the questions, I was given time to provide documents showing I was planning on returning home (I was a total noob at visas and that was my big failing, trying to apply for a 6 month visa, not realising what that meant to them). As my employer wasn't willing to give me a letter stating I was returning, they permitted me to withdraw my application and I later used the VWP for a 2 month visit.

I'm sorry you were rejected. By all means either try again or move on. You have stated you dont' care about visiting the US so I do admit I don't understand why you're posting this topic. I also reiterate... He CANNOT use the VWP when he eventually get's his UK passport. He has been denied a visa to the US and is now ineligible for the VWP for life (getting a new passport doesn't change that).

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Please read the section I was replying to. She said that once he gets his UK passport (which he's eligible for in a year) he "won't need a visa". I replied that he's not eligible for the VWP (when that occurs) because of this visa denial.

That is not so, see my earlier reply.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Woah, lassie, relax.

It sucks to get denied. Most people just apply again. There are many stories of people applying for a second time with the same stuff and getting approved. Who knows why.

We can't know why he was denied... there are so many factors: his age, travel history, work history, etc. Was it made known he was in the UK because of a Uk relationship? All this stuff is really guesswork.

Also, you said he gets permanent residency next year, but then say he'll get a passport? Do they really give UK passports to people just for being "engaged?" wow.

Edit: I met an Israeli guy with a scottish fiancee last summer at a wedding. If it's you two I will laugh :)

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Similar sort of process in the UK as in the US, terms are different. ILR first (PR) then Citizenship.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Similar sort of process in the UK as in the US, terms are different. ILR first (PR) then Citizenship.

Can you get indefinite leave to remain and then citizenship just for being engaged? I assume it is classed as life partner or something?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Same as PR sort of, but I think you get it for being a partner rather than spouse.

Filed: Other Timeline

He'll need to have IRL for 3 years before he can get a U-kay passport.

Same like in the U-ess-ay.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Other Timeline

He'll need to have ILR for 3 years before he can get a U-kay passport.

Same like in the U-ess-ay.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Timeline

No Noah, I was not at the interview. Yes, I only have the other person's versions of events. However, that 'other person' happens to be someone I know deeply, and trust and who has no reason or history of lying to me! Also, I have never in my life seen him being evasive and combative - he is not capable of it. Naive, flustered, confused - perhaps. Plus, I don't see why my fiance wouldn't have told me if the interviewer did ask more questions? For example - if he had asked 'what are your ties to the UK' - he would just have answered this honestly. If he had still been denied a visa after being asked these questions it would have ENHANCED the incredulity of the story.

You, on the other hand, are basing your thoughts based on someone you don't know (my fiance) versus someone else you don't know (the interviewer). But have made a baseless judgement of based on your own past experience of 'evasive and combative' applicants that you have come across in the past. Seriously? You think that is fair?

Luckily I don't care much for your opinion.

IMHO, something went off the rails during the interview...pure and simple (after more than two questions). If you had said that in the first place (minus the insistence that my fiance is lying about the questions he was asked) then I would have agreed with you. Quite plainly something did go off the rails during the interview. Personally I think it was probably the fact that he was displaying anxious behaviour due to being about to miss his train back to Scotland. Possibly that coupled with the fact that he has a lot of stamps in his passport as we travel a lot, and he has long hair etc so doesn't exactly look professional.

You are right that: What matters during these interviews is the judgment of the VO, not yours (nor mine). It is the responsibility of every applicant to convince a VO that they do not intend to remain in the US...and for whatever the reason(s), your fiancee was not able to do this... That is obviously true. But how dare you come on here and accuse him of lying to me and me of being gullible!

I am perfectly entitled to be a little upset that we are having to change our honeymoon plans based on a judgement that the interviewer has made - I am sure in good faith on his part - but that is incorrect. If you actually look back to my original post, I was actually asking if anyone knew how easy it is to get a transit visa.

Oh - my fiance just got back from work and I've ran your comments past him. The one person who was at the interview. In his words:

"I just came back home from work and realised that my fiancee is wasting her time talking to you, trying to show you our side. And it doesn't matter. I know what happened there. I don't care about your opinion. They literally didn't ask me too much - nothing about my connections here in the UK, which was apparently the reason the visa was refused. I've been to embassies in the past (UK, Australia etc) and usually you have a conversation - even if it's just 5 minutes - where they ask you things from different angles to get some details for what you're saying. Everything I say could be a lie - usually they ask a lot of questions to make sure they get the truth. For example if you say you are getting married they usually ask 'when are you getting married', 'how did you meet' etc. At the US embassy yesterday it didn't seem like they wanted to know the truth. It seemed like they made a quick judgement. I don't even understand why I'm trying to explain to somebody as narrow minded as you about my case - but you weren't there and you're calling me a liar. And you're not a good representation of your name - you are not 'comfortable' at all."

So now we've gone from two questions to 'literally didn't ask me too much'...what's next? Please find any posting in which I specifically called you a liar. I am pretty convinced you chose to omit some fine points or details when replaying your interview....that is not the same as outright lying. I can sense that your attitude probably played a significant role in your denial.

I'll mop up my tears later.

Timeline

Always slightly fascinated to know what the full information is, you invariably only get a snap shot.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.