notyuriy

Question about Certificate of Citizenship Number

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi, I'm brand new here, preparing to file a K1 visa to bring my fiancee to US. I am a citizen through my parents, both of whom have Certificates of Citizenship. On form I-134, 1B states: "If a U.S. Citizen through parent(s) or marriage, give Certificate of Citizenship number".

Since both of my parents have these certificates (and I do not), do I put both of them on the form or just one, and which?

No. You do not have a certificate of citizenship because you never got one. You can get one. File form N-600...$600. Many times parents do not bother with this as the child is not required to have it to obtain a passport. However if it is needed for something like this, then you have to get one.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

No I came here with parents before I was 18 so I became a citizen when my parents got their citizenship, but I didn't get my own certificate of citizenship (naturalization). I see what you mean after re-reading the form. I was confusing it with I-129F #10 because that step clearly has boxes for Parents' # and your own #.

So will it be acceptable to fill out I-134 #1 D - Alien #? I still have that from my old green card even though I have a passport now. I read on this forum that the A# stays with you for life.

An A number is for non citizens. You are a citizen. Your A number is invalid. Because you were not born here you NEED a certificate of citzenship for this process. You can get one. A passport or BC would be sufficient IF you were born in the US.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

You are not required to get the N-600K. Plenty of posts (and people I've asked in the past unrelated to K1) do say that you can be a citizen through parents without having naturalization or certificate of citizenship. The I-129F itself implies this because it asks if you are a citizen through parents (if yes, then you are a citizen), and then follows up with "Have you obtained a certificate in your name?".

alexd, you got me scared for a second :-) but if you re-read that paragraph:

All it says is that if I want to obtain a certificate of citizenship, I need to file N-600. It says right before that, that I would automatically obtain citizenship without having to file an application.

So back to the heart of the question: Is filling out question 1 in I-134 with an A# (option D) sufficient?

Or maybe I need to do option C and attach an explanation with parents' citizenship #s?

You are correct that you automatically obtain citizenship if under 18 and you do not need an N-600 certificate to get a passport. You need it for the I-129f IF you obtained citizenship from your parents. There actually IS a reason for the certificate, it is not just so people can spend $600 for nothing. This is one of those reasons.

NO that A number is not sufficient. In fact having an A number would disqualify you from a K-1 as you must be a citizen. Your A number became invalid when you became a citizen

Gary And Alla

Timeline

So there is no way around it? I have to pay another $600 and wait for however long just to get a #? :-(

I'm curious if any other US Citizens have done this process without having a certificate. It's just puzzling to me that I-129F would not require you to have one, but I-134 would.

Simple. The I-129f requires that you be a citizen, the I-134 does not. A LPR can complete an I-134. USCIS receives the MONEY for both forms, so guess what? They want the money.

Our youngest son has no certificate of citizenship but will have a passport to prove his citizenship. Frankly I see no need to pay $600 for a certificate for him, he does not need it for normal life. If he wants to bring a Ukrainian to be his wife then HE can pay the $600 and get the certificate. I am not going to pay his bills forever and part of this process is being legally able to marry, that means an adult and adults can pay their own frieght.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Thanks for the breakdown, I understand that's the preferred way and the most pain-free. Has anyone dealt with the Ukraine consulate on here, how strict are they about it?

This is not a Ukraine issue. This is a USCIS issue. It is a requirement. LPRs can complete I-134s so anything related to an I-134 is not relevent.

As for Ukraine, Kiev is very much a stickler for PROPER documents, as I assume they all are. Kiev gets a reputation for being "easy" because they do not have a lot of extraneous bullsh*t they require. If ANY of your documents are missing, you WILL get a notice to provide them.

That said, the N-600 has nothing to do with the Ukraine consulate and you will not get that far if you do not get the certificate of citizenship

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I'm wondering how you were able to obtain a U.S. passport without a CoC, because if you look at the requirements on the State Department's website, one would have to provide THEIR (not their parents') Naturalization Certificate or CoC. Perhaps they AREN'T that strict (and allow the parents to show their Certificates)?

You can get a passport without your own N-600 certificate. USCIS will NOT tell you that. Big suprise. Showing the parent(s) certifcate and a birth certificate (translated) are sufficient.

A passport is not the I-129f.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Hi, I'm brand new here, preparing to file a K1 visa to bring my fiancee to US. I am a citizen through my parents, both of whom have Certificates of Citizenship. On form I-134, 1B states: "If a U.S. Citizen through parent(s) or marriage, give Certificate of Citizenship number".

Since both of my parents have these certificates (and I do not), do I put both of them on the form or just one, and which?

I just looked at this again. Are you submitting an I-134 or an I-129f? Big difference.

EDIT please fill in youre time line, I need to reveiw this some more. Or PM me.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I just looked at this again. Are you submitting an I-134 or an I-129f? Big difference.

I'll be doing both, but I-129F first of course (applying for a K1). There is a lot of contradictory information online. This is the latest I just found:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/281938-help-no-certificate-of-citizenship/

and people state that you can just check Parents and then put "None" in the number space, because I-134 comes after I-129F which already proves your citizenship.

Edited by notyuriy

Timeline

I'll be doing both, but I-129F first of course (applying for a K1). There is a lot of contradictory information online. This is the latest I just found:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/281938-help-no-certificate-of-citizenship/

and people state that you can just check Parents and then put "None" in the number space, because I-134 comes after I-129F which already proves your citizenship.

Yes correct and I apologize for the misunderstanding. The I-129f specifically allows you to state you have not received a certificate in your name, attach a copy of all pages of your passport to prove citizenship.

Then answer "none" on the I-134 as you have already shown citizenship for the I-129f.

Again my apologies. Good luck and I cannot fault your taste in women!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yes correct and I apologize for the misunderstanding. The I-129f specifically allows you to state you have not received a certificate in your name, attach a copy of all pages of your passport to prove citizenship.

Then answer "none" on the I-134 as you have already shown citizenship for the I-129f.

Again my apologies. Good luck and I cannot fault your taste in women!

Thank you! :)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

In my own (personal) opinion though (JUST an opinion), I don't think that your own Certificate number would absolutely be necessary. I'm thinking that there may be some way around it, which we'll have to wait for someone else to comment to find out.

I'm wasn't trying to be mean or scare you, I just wanted to provide an "accurate" response first.

so the question that comes to my mind is - How does he prove citizenship then? His birth certificate for sure will not. Curious how applying for his passport was handled. Takes a heck of a paper trail to reach that result.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

so the question that comes to my mind is - How does he prove citizenship then? His birth certificate for sure will not. Curious how applying for his passport was handled. Takes a heck of a paper trail to reach that result.

His citizenship is proven by his copy of all pages of the passport that was attached to the I-129f and ends up at the consulate with his file. The USC sponsor of a K-1 does not have to show citizenship for the I-134, they already did so. A co-sponsor DOES need to show they are a citizen or LPR

To get a passport the child brings proof that his parent is a US citizen (their certificate) that the person is the child of that parent (birth certifcate) and that the child was under age 18 when the parent received citizenship (birth certificate) and the parents marriage certificate if the poarents citizenship was attained by marriage to a US citizen, as in most of our cases.

I have no intention of paying $600 so Pasha can get a passport.

Gary And Alla

• 5 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline
On 29/2/2012 at 5:04 PM, notyuriy said:

Hey there, I am contacting because I have the same issue, and I want to know if anyone can help me. My Fiance is a US citizen and he has a US passport. but he has no citizenship number, can he file the I-134 just putting "NONE" in the part of the form where it requests the citizenship number? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.