ArthurDent

many questions

46 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

An update and a question. The NVC received my paperwork from USCIS on 5/7. They entered it into their system on 5/24. I have paid my AoS fee and emailed a DS-3032 to them. I am getting ready to send of the I-864 packet, but I have a few questions.

1) My Dad files his taxes jointly with my step-mom and he included her name on the I-864. Does that mean she has to complete an I-864 as well?

2) The following items will be included in the packet I am sending: A physical copy of the DS-3032, the DS-230, a copy of my wifes birth certificate, a copy of my wifes passport and a passport sized photo of my wife, my I-864 and tax forms, my Dad's I-864 and tax forms, an I-864A for my Dad. Am I missing anything?

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

An update and a question. The NVC received my paperwork from USCIS on 5/7. They entered it into their system on 5/24. I have paid my AoS fee and emailed a DS-3032 to them. I am getting ready to send of the I-864 packet, but I have a few questions.

1) My Dad files his taxes jointly with my step-mom and he included her name on the I-864. Does that mean she has to complete an I-864 as well?

2) The following items will be included in the packet I am sending: A physical copy of the DS-3032, the DS-230, a copy of my wifes birth certificate, a copy of my wifes passport and a passport sized photo of my wife, my I-864 and tax forms, my Dad's I-864 and tax forms, an I-864A for my Dad. Am I missing anything?

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Yes you are missing things. Read the I-864 instructions and follow this guide. http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

You'll be sending two separate packages to NVC, one for I-864 and related documents and another for DS 230 and civil documents. Your mother will provide an I-864a. You and your father each an I-864.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Yes you are missing things. Read the I-864 instructions and follow this guide. http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

You'll be sending two separate packages to NVC, one for I-864 and related documents and another for DS 230 and civil documents. Your mother will provide an I-864a. You and your father each an I-864.

Excellent! Thank you! I will update later with further questions or my status.

Timeline

Actually I am confused about something. In the I-864, section 21g says "OPTIONAL: If you have siblings, parents, or adult children with the same principal residence who are combining their income with yours by submitting Form I-864A, enter the number here." For that number I have entered 2. For my father and my step mother (this is the same thing my dad put on his I-864). The text indicates that my dad should also fill out an I-864a, or am I mistaken? Also, section 24 d says "The persons listed above have completed Form I-864A. I am filing along with this form all necessary Forms I-864A completed by these persons." I currently have that checked. The only person I have listed in that section of my I-864 is my dad. If the answer to my father having to send in an I-864A is no, then I assume I would uncheck that box, correct? Or should I remove my father from my I-864 completely (although this seems wrong to me, I figure I should ask)? The I-864 instructions also say "The income of such household members and dependents can be used to help you meet the income requirements if they complete and sign Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member, and if they are at least 18 years of age when they sign the form." This also leads me to believe that my father needs to fill out the I-864A. Am I missing something?

Timeline

OK, this is confusing me now. I just spoke with the people at the NVC. They told me that my father would need to separate his income from my step-mothers income on his I-864 and provide W2s/pay stubs/tax records showing only his income. Does that sound right?

Timeline

OK, this is confusing me now. I just spoke with the people at the NVC. They told me that my father would need to separate his income from my step-mothers income on his I-864 and provide W2s/pay stubs/tax records showing only his income. Does that sound right?

That's one way to do it. Both will work.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Just spoke with another rep who wasn't so rude. She cleared things up about the I-864. On my I-864 I was instructed to remove my dad from section 24 completely. His I-864 is fine, her I-864A is fine, I just need their W2's.

EDIT: I just saw your post pushbrk. So I need their W2's, but I can leave everything else alone, correct?

Edited by ArthurDent

Timeline

Just spoke with another rep who wasn't so rude. She cleared things up about the I-864. On my I-864 I was instructed to remove my dad from section 24 completely. His I-864 is fine, her I-864A is fine, I just need their W2's.

EDIT: I just saw your post pushbrk. So I need their W2's, but I can leave everything else alone, correct?

I don't know. I haven't seen your affidavits but yes, you do not mention your father in your affidavit. You need W2's as part of copies of COMPLETE tax returns, not JUST W2 forms.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

I don't know. I haven't seen your affidavits but yes, you do not mention your father in your affidavit. You need W2's as part of copies of COMPLETE tax returns, not JUST W2 forms.

Thank you again pushbrk. So I get the W2 forms for each of them and their 1040. Understood. Thank you again for all your help, I know my questions may seem trivial, but you and other forum members have constantly offered assistance even for the most trivial of questions. I really appreciate it.

Update on status. I just got an email saying they have processed the DS-3032 I emailed to them. Now I just have to get this AoS packet out and wait for them to send me the IV packet bill.

Timeline

Thank you again pushbrk. So I get the W2 forms for each of them and their 1040. Understood. Thank you again for all your help, I know my questions may seem trivial, but you and other forum members have constantly offered assistance even for the most trivial of questions. I really appreciate it.

Update on status. I just got an email saying they have processed the DS-3032 I emailed to them. Now I just have to get this AoS packet out and wait for them to send me the IV packet bill.

I don't understand why you keep incorrectly restating what I wrote. You provide a complete tax return. For most folks that's more than a 1040 and a W2. Don't ask somebody for a 1040 and a W2. Ask them for a complete tax return including the W2, just the way I wrote it.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

I don't understand why you keep incorrectly restating what I wrote. You provide a complete tax return. For most folks that's more than a 1040 and a W2. Don't ask somebody for a 1040 and a W2. Ask them for a complete tax return including the W2, just the way I wrote it.

Ah. Sorry, my mistake. I have their complete tax return already, in my head 1040=complete tax return, even though I know there is more to it than just a 1040, anyhow I will try to make sure that I do not incorrectly restate what you say further. I am just waiting on their W2s now. Thanks again pushbrk!

Edited by ArthurDent

Timeline

Updating with status. On Friday I received an email with the invoice for the IV packet. The invoice was corrupted. On Friday morning (around midnight) I saw the option to pay the fee, so I went to bed. When I woke up, it was gone. The NVC was having some database problems on Friday :(. Anyhow, I just got the invoice resent to me and paid the fee. I should be sending off the IV packet today :).

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.