USArmyWifey

Continental Airlines

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Unfortunately, transatlantic is $70. Transpacific, Brazil and some others still no charge for second bag (unless oversize).

U.S. Airway

Also what irks me is that they have extra rules like, "if you bought ticket before...," "if you bought ticket after....," blah blah blah. Sheesh. You almost need a flow chart to figure this stuff out.

I am going to the Philippines next month and will be flying Delta to LAX, Korean Air Lines to Manila, Philippines Airlines to Dumaguete, Philippines and alll my bags are free.

My interview has been set and i am now starting to plan my trip to move to the states. Im having a few problems understanding the checked baggage policy on their website. If anyone has flown with Continental Airlines recently id apriciate the advice :)

On the site it says "Continental Airlines will accept up to two pieces of checked baggage with a maximum weight of 50 pounds (23 kg) per bag and a maximum outside dimension of 62 inches (157 cm) per bag in exchange for the applicable service fees."

One of my bag is exactly (as close to as possible) the 62 inches. Will they want to measure the bag when i get there or will they take my word for it? I dont want to get there and find out that i didnt measure it right (i have checked 4 or 5 times but ovbiously its so close im worried about risking it) and have to pay extra when i can just get a suitcase slightly smaller for a cheaper price than it would cost to send oversized luggage.

Also are both bags coverd free or do i have to pay for one even if neither of them are over sized/over weight? Ive never gone with more than one piece of checked luggage and i cant seem to find it on the website..

and lastly if a bag is oversized and overweight do i have to pay both additional fees combined?

TIA :) Hope your all having a wonderful day!

I flown with Continental Airlines last April 2011 from Japan to Chicago it was a connecting flight and I have two bags each weigh less 23kg. So I think you will be fine. Its all free!

AOS Journey

2-22-2012 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/ paperwork.

2-28-2012 - Return Receipt.

3-05-2012 - NOA I-797C received for I-485, I-765 and biometrics appointment for 3-29-2012

3-07-2012 - Sent Notice to Reschedule Appointment at local ASC by certified mail

3-10-2012 - Return Receipt

3-20-2012 - received text/email the case is transferred

3-24-2012 - NOA I-797C notice received that the case is transferred at CSC

3-30-2012 - Received NOA I-797 New Biometrics Appointment for 4-24-2012

4-24-2012 - BIOMETRICS and same day my I-765 status is in production

4-30-2012 - received text/email notification EAD is on my way

5-03-2012 - received EAC

9-10-2012 - GC/DOCUMENT PRODUCTION

9-11-2012 - CSC mail out the Welcome Letter

9-12-2012 - CSC mail out the Green Card

9-14-2012 - Welcome Letter received

9-15-2012 - Green Card received

ROC Journey

8-15-2014 - Sent I-751

8-18-2014 - I-751 Delivered

8-18-2014 - NOA I-797

8-20-2014 - Check Cashed

9-11-2014 - Biometrics Appointment

11-18-2014- Received email and text notification that green card is in production

11-19-2014- CSC mail out GREEN CARD

bzto184.png

xkNdm5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

dont take two bags! ITS easier said than done.

Andy, it is nice to fantasize that two bags are not necessary, but you do realize that for most of us, an international flight is how we are MOVING here. Would you move your home across town in a single 50 pound bag? Across the state? Across the country? Perhaps the visa holder in your family lived naked in a dry hut with nothing to his/her name and no life/skills/possessions, but for the rest of us, that is not practical.

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Some of this doesn't apply to OP since the airlines normally divide it into categories depending on the departure location and destination - Europe has different fees than some other continents e.g.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I flown with Continental Airlines last April 2011 from Japan to Chicago it was a connecting flight and I have two bags each weigh less 23kg. So I think you will be fine. Its all free!

Rules change! I flew United at the end of Jan. 2012. The night before the flight I checked in online and my 2 bags were shown as Free. But when I picked up my boarding passes it was $70 for the second bag for my international flight. Also, United and Continental merged. That is why they both charge the same international 2nd bag fee. Again, rules change. Sometime in the future when this thread is read the rules probably will have changed again.

Always check the airline for current policy, or your setting yourself up.

Note:  I am the U.S. citizen sponsor.  All info below applies to my immigrant wife.

______________________________________________________________________________________

I-130 (CR1)

April 13, 2011: Married in China.
February 2, 2012: Interview 09:30 a.m. APPROVED!!!
March 2, 2012: POE JFK
March 17, 2012: Received SSN card.
April 5, 2012: 2-yr Green Card in hand

I-751 (ROC)

December 15, 2013: I-751 mailed to USCIS

June 9, 2014: ROC Approved per I-797C received 6-13-2014

June 17, 2014: New 10-yr Green Card in hand!

N-400
March 29, 2017:  N-400 mailed to USCIS
March 31, 2017: N-400 Received by USCIS per I-797C
April 27, 2017:  Biometrics completed
September 23, 2017:  Received I-797C for interview!

October 24, 2017:  Interview, passed all tests but "decision cannot yet be made"

October 30, 2017:  Received email that Oath ceremony has been scheduled, letter to follow with date and other info. 

USCIS case status updated w/same message as email.

November 2, 2017:  Oath ceremony letter received scheduled for Nov. 7, 2017.

November 7, 2017:  Oath Ceremony, Certificate of U.S. Naturalization in hand!!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Before flying to Lima in October, I researched the policy and got these three possibilities:

2 bags allowed to specific countries, including Perú

1 bag allowed, no exceptions

1 bag free with 70U$ charge for extras.

I got to the airport with one prepared to be a carryon, but they told me that I was allowed to bring two. I got my little stubs as proof and I had left the policy page with that printed out at home on the guest bed.

When I entered the airport in Lima 2 weeks later to fly home, I was told NO. One bag free and the second bag was 35U$. I argued that when I bought my tickets the policy stated the first of the options and even had my stubs to prove that I had 2 pieces of luggage. (The carryon was full of books and I didn't relish the idea of lifting that over my head on the flight.) Plus, I already had my purse and backpack. They made me wait 90 minutes (valuable time I could have spent with the love of my life!!!!!) and told me that this was the policy forever. Finally, I was told to just carry on the smaller bag and, because of the 2 checkpoints that I had to go through, including the one where my bags were all searched, The crew was furious at me because I was late getting to the gate.

Whatever happens, be prepared to be treated like #######.

Oh, BTW--I flew out on October 20th. When I got home, the policy change had been enacted THAT WEEK. If you were in the middle of a trip, too bad.

Before this experience, Continental was always my airline of choice. Now, I have zero loyalty whatsoever. (I do like that the flight attendants look like humans instead of freaky-clown-makeup mannequins with giant scarves and heels on the ladies. Seriously, how does that make me safer on the flight? Can a 90 pound bimbo haul burning people out of the burning wreckage of a jumbo jet in those heels. Does company policy require reapplication of the orange-red lipstick before any rescue attempts?)

One more thing: Meal policy. Same non-definitive answers online: Yes, No, and You can buy with a credit card only. I stopped at Subway and bought a sandwich but the 6 hour flight had a very satisfying meal and a snack. My fiance gobbled the sandwich in the airport. "What is this? Pepperoni? Oh wow! This is incredible!!!! Is this everywhere in the US?" Subway will be his first meal once he gets here to the US. hahahahaha

Last year, it was a mess between Continental and United. And there were flights from Continental and United to/from Lima/Houston. I went 3 times there last year, last one in late November and though I booked in the United site and flight details said it was United, the actual flight was Continental (fare was lower than in the Continental site, go figure; but check in at the Houston airport was challenging, the United and Continental front desks were not in the same page at all); anyhow: 2 bags plus 2 carry on no problem. However I have the Continental CC (from Chase I think) and that might be the difference as I get fee-free luggage in domestic flights as well.

I just needed a direct flight back; but I concur service has gone to hell. We normally fly a non-US airline when I go out of the country...1000% better.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

OP, are you flying coach?

I went home for Christmas and we always fly Continental. Their website says that there are some exceptions, one of them being "any customers traveling on full fare Economy Class tickets get up to two checked bags free."

When we were checking in the Continental lady tells us that she's going to charge us for the second bag, so I asked her to double check because their website clearly stated that we could bring 2 bags each since we were flying coach. She apologized and said "Let me check", then said "Yes, you're right I'm sorry, you don't have to pay".

Like others have said, it might be different since the flight is UK-US but the airline will definitely stick it up to you if you don't say anything.

Good luck!

I just flew over from denmark to the US with United/Continental in February, they do now charge for 2nd baggage but I have mileage plus explorer card, so I got free 2nd baggage.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.