reecy

Is this going to be a problem at the interview???

50 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Well this was not a problem at the interview for me at all,before we got married we always call each other``my wifey & my Hubby``and almost on our skype,messenger,email...we always do same.The CO never ever mension anything about that.I dont think it is by name u called each other that they will say u are

doing fraud.Feel free man.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Well this was not a problem at the interview for me at all,before we got married we always call each other``my wifey & my Hubby``and almost on our skype,messenger,email...we always do same.The CO never ever mension anything about that.I dont think it is by name u called each other that they will say u are

You cannot compare your case with the OP's. You filed the I-130 for a spouse.

They are going through the K-1 which is a fiance visa. It makes a world of difference.

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Filed: Timeline

Well this was not a problem at the interview for me at all,before we got married we always call each other``my wifey & my Hubby``and almost on our skype,messenger,email...we always do same.The CO never ever mension anything about that.I dont think it is by name u called each other that they will say u are doing fraud.Feel free man.

When you apply for a CR-1, that's not a problem what so ever. They don't care what you called each other before the wedding because the visa itself is for a married person. As long as you're married at the time of the interview, you qualify. Had you applied for a K-1, you probably would have been denied.

The K-1 is for an unmarried person, and is ridden with fraud attempts. Any sign of a K-1 applicant actually being married is a big red flag.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Tatiana and I had no problems at Ukraine consulate about this. We referred to each other as husband and wife and she even changed her facebook name to my last name. They never asked. We said that we were married to each other in our heart and just have to make it a civil thing for the government. That was going to be her response if they asked. Maybe we were just lucky enough, I don't know. But if you are worried about it, stop doing it, and you don't have to include all your messages.

In some US states like SC and RI if you do this it will actually be a legal marriage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common-law_marriage_in_the_United_States

Edited by Robert&Karen

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Well maybe it's not a problem in Ukraine (they may be more focused on there at least being a genuine relationship). I decided to ask my attorney about this since he's been in the business a while (over 25 years) and he's seen just about everything (handled thousands upon thousands of cases). Again, his response was that it's consulate specific. What may be okay in one consulate might have some serious consquences in another. But I still wouldn't do it!! I look at it this way. There are many many factors out of our control in this whole process. This is one that we can control. It would not be wise to take the risk. But if the OP submitted emails that could complicate the interview, he should have his fiance prepare herself to give a pretty good response. The results may all just come down to consular officer he gets.

Edited by Paul86

1/13/12 - I-129F Petition Submitted to Dallas Lockbox

1/18/12 - Received at Vermont Service Center

1/20/12 - NOA1

1/24/12 - Touched

2/09/12 - Touched

8/02/12 - NOA2 (197 Days After Received at VSC)

8/14/12 - Received at NVC (Assigned Case Number)

8/16/12 - Departed from NVC

8/20/12 - Arrived in US Embassy Kiev

8/28/12 - Information Received from Embassy via mail

9/12/12 - Interview (Approved)

9/19/12 - Visa Received via Elin Ltd. (FedEx)

10/05/12 - POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hello Vj's,my fiancee and i are not married yet but in our emails we refer to each other as husband and wife.I wanted to know if this is going to be problem at the interview?? Also in a few of the emails i stress to you that i can't wait to be her husband but in most of the email i refer to her as my wife and she refer to me as her husband???.Thank you for your Valued responds

Wow! It amazes me how everything piece of evidence is gone through with so much care and concern. I had to seek advice from a friend who has done this and was able to get some helpful advice from her. It is wise to voice your concerns and not be afraid to ask for help. It seems as though this could be a little confusing and based on the fraudulent cases it raises curiousity, but I hope all goes well for you. I have filed my I-130 petition and is patiently waiting to reconnect with my husband. Best of luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello Vj's,my fiancee and i are not married yet but in our emails we refer to each other as husband and wife.I wanted to know if this is going to be problem at the interview?? Also in a few of the emails i stress to you that i can't wait to be her husband but in most of the email i refer to her as my wife and she refer to me as her husband???.Thank you for your Valued responds

we did the same thing in our emails. they did not give us any problem about it. my fiancee told the interviewer about it before she give him the email to read.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I never understood if the person initiating this thread had already sent the 129 in. If so, and say it's sitting in Vermont or where ever is there any chance of contacting the uscis with the honest story with intent to re submit information that will not include those kinds of e-mails. I don't know, just throwing out the idea. but if the problem is going to arrise in the interview versus in the USA process I wouldn't be afraid to be honest with them and ask. better than getting to the interview and flopping :\

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Of course it was not a porblem. She was YOUR WIFE and you filed a spouse visa. :wacko: No relevance to a K-1 visa.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It seems like this shouldn't be a problem if your both free to marry. You wouldn't make it to the embassy stage if you weren't. Just my opinion. :innocent:

Not correct. USCIS (petition) has no need for emails for any reason and these are put to the back of the file as extra "stuff". The adjudicator completes a checklist and if everything they need is there, they approve the petition. They probably never even look at the emails. A petition is not a visa. USCIS does not concern itself with visa fraud at the petition stage and the people that see it are not trained to look for that. However, when that same packet gets forwarded to the consulate it WILL get reviewed.

The issue of visa fraud will come up when a visa is applied for, not before. Being approved by USCIS only gives you a valid reason to APPLY for a visa, it does NOT mean you will get one.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

files are files. search and replace.

innocent.gif

10/19/2011- FedEx'd I-129F

10/20/2011 - Received @ Dallas Lockbox

10/25/2011 - Received E-mail/Text for NOA1

10/28/2011 - Received NOA1 Hardcopy

02/11/2012 - Received E-mail/Text RFE

02/13/2012 - Received Hardcopy of RFE

02/16/2012 - Fedex'd RFE response

02/17/2012 - Received RFE response @ VSC

02/24/2012 - Received E-mail/Text, RFE Response Review

03/07/2012 - Received E-mail/Text for NOA2 (134 days)

03/10/2012 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

03/13/2012 - NVC Received I129F Approval Packet

03/20/2012 - NVC Sent Packet to Embassy

04/04/2012 - Embassy Received Packet

04/16/2012 - Fiancee received Packet 3.

04/30/2012 - Fiancee responded to Packet 3

06/21/2012 - Interview Date. Visais Approved!.

07/01/2012 - Received Visa from Go2

07/05/2012 - Arrived in USA. Chicago POE.

07/05/2012 - Arrived in Washington.

07/27/2012 - Married (Yea)

09/01/2012 - AOS, AP, EAD Applied for via USPS Registered Mail

09/09/2012 - EMails for all three forms arrived.

09/1?/2012 - NOA 1s for all three arrived.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Armenia
Timeline

It is dependent on the beneficiary's country but in particular how strict the consulate is. Some consulates wouldn't even care if you had a religious ceremony, and then did the civil ceremony here.

Can you provide an example where a consulate granted a K-1 visa to an applicant who already had a religious marriage ceremony?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Tatiana and I had no problems at Ukraine consulate about this. We referred to each other as husband and wife and she even changed her facebook name to my last name. They never asked. We said that we were married to each other in our heart and just have to make it a civil thing for the government. That was going to be her response if they asked. Maybe we were just lucky enough, I don't know.
Those of us who dealt with ####### consulates can remain very assured that any hint of what you got away with, if attempted or admitted to elsewhere, would result in the couple's being kicked out of the interview and having a fraud marker slapped on the beneficiary's file.

As Gary will tell you, Kiev is not a difficult consulate.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.