clairerubunda

When will I get aproval!!!!

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Thanks everyone, really helpfull!

Just to make things clear, when I planned my wedding we were both living in the uk together. We planned to get married in the US as both our familys live there, we were going to get married there and then go on honeymoon and then come back to the uk. Thats why we planned everything, if you go on holiday to get married you dont need a visa, as you do not intend to stay!

AFTER all the wedding planning, Matt's employer asked him to move back to the US so we made a decision to move out there after the wedding, which is when we sent off for the visa. We would never have planned a wedding if we knew this from the start!

So, we have already spoken to thesenetors office, and we have now hired a lawyer who said (i will believe it when I see it) he can help speed up the interview at the embassy. I am praying he can, i check on line everyday.

Thanks everyone, I will keep you posted........................

Claire xx

Claire, lawyers claim they can 'speed up the process' but they're full of sh!t. He can't make it go any faster. It takes as long as it takes. I think you're wasting your money, personally.

Good luck; you'll need a bit of it.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Really! oh well, we are feeling desperate now. After living together for 6 months being apart is so hard.

We thought we would try anything!

I need big great heaps of luck!

Really! oh well, we are feeling desperate now. After living together for 6 months being apart is so hard.

Yep, you do.

Contact the USCIS and see what is taking your application so long, but I would make alternate plans for a wedding on a later date if I were you.

The USCIS can't guarantee processing times and they're not usually prepared to make exceptions for people who failed to plan ahead. I know it sounds mean, but it does take as long as it takes and every case is unique. You can't say just because so-and-so's case took only 90 days that yours will. All they can do is talk about averages and you can't assume that your case will take exactly as long to process as the average case. Even straightforward cases can sometimes take a long time, especially if they decide to randomly throw you into some sort of background check hell.

If I were you I'd start prepping for the medical exam and interview. If you have any chronic conditions of any kind be prepared to explain them. This would include things like precancerous moles and high blood pressure. If you have a history of mental health problems be prepared to explain that, and bring a letter from your GP for any chronic condition you have. As soon as they schedule your interview you should schedule your medical exam. Schedule it for BEFORE your interview so if they approve your case, they'll approve it the day of your interview and you'll have your visa a few days afterwards.

I don't know what will happen at your interview since we did not apply for a K-1, but I hear that they ask a lot more questions of K-1 applicants than they do of couples like my husband and I, who have been married for 5+ years and obviously aren't in a sham marriage for immigration purposes. There are other threads here where you can swot up on the K-1 process.

Good luck.

If you are the Brit, send off for your police certificate today!!!! Those take around 30-40 days.

(To obtain a Police Certificate in the UK, go to your local police station and request a form called "Subject Access". Send send this with the ten pounds fee to the Data Protection Officer of the police force for the area you are resident in. This form is then sent by the police to Scotland Yard and the results are supplied to the individual requesting them within a statutory 40 day time limit. If you're waiting for your certificate try 0171-230-3751 to see what state it's at.)

No one can speed up the process altho a senator may be able to get your approved faster. After that, it's all in the embassy's hands...

If you are the Brit, send off for your police certificate today!!!! Those take around 30-40 days.

(To obtain a Police Certificate in the UK, go to your local police station and request a form called "Subject Access". Send send this with the ten pounds fee to the Data Protection Officer of the police force for the area you are resident in. This form is then sent by the police to Scotland Yard and the results are supplied to the individual requesting them within a statutory 40 day time limit. If you're waiting for your certificate try 0171-230-3751 to see what state it's at.)

No one can speed up the process altho a senator may be able to get your approved faster. After that, it's all in the embassy's hands...

Good point...apply for that police certificate ASAP. :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hey girl hang in there and don't worry. I understand why you did things as you did. Also I had a K1 intrerview at the london embassy and it was easy :-) Like the above people advised get all the paperwork that you require for the interview together now, including vaccination records and police reports for any country you lived in for more than 6 months since the age of 16. If any of your documents are in another language you will have to get them translated and certified by a notary public.

My advise is carry on with the wedding plans.. even if you do not get the K1 in time and are not able to marry legally: 1. as far as USA immigration are concerned it is a family gathering you are entering the country for. 2. The guests will probably not even realize that you are skipping the legal part. Of course then you will have to leave the USA and wait to get you k1. After which you can enter the country on your K1 and get married legally. Your lawyer should be able to advise you on this plan if need be.

And for all some people like to get on their high horse about not planning a wedding before the paper work is in hand a lot of us do!!!

Good luck!! It will all work out in the end one way or another!!

Maggie

K1 Application

23 Feb 2006 - I-129 mailed

14 August 2006 - Approved!!!! :-)

21 October 2006 - Married in the mountains of North Carolina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Application

6 November 2006 - Applied for AOS, EAD and AP

09 Decemeber 2006 - e-mail received to say case was trasferred to California

16 December 2006- biometric appointment in Charlotte, NC

20 Jan 2007 -AP approved

24 Jan -EAD approved

28 June -Green card ordered

7 July wedding celebrations in Scotland

Timeline

Thanks Guys. I love this site!

I have a big sigh of releif just to know there are people out there who understand are are going through the same process.

I have my police check in hand, i did that as soon as I realised, and I have no chronic illnesses I know of, so thats good.

I am going to speak to my Fiance and come up with a backup plan..........i just want this to be over!

Hey girl hang in there and don't worry. I understand why you did things as you did. Also I had a K1 intrerview at the london embassy and it was easy :-) Like the above people advised get all the paperwork that you require for the interview together now, including vaccination records and police reports for any country you lived in for more than 6 months since the age of 16. If any of your documents are in another language you will have to get them translated and certified by a notary public.

My advise is carry on with the wedding plans.. even if you do not get the K1 in time and are not able to marry legally: 1. as far as USA immigration are concerned it is a family gathering you are entering the country for. 2. The guests will probably not even realize that you are skipping the legal part. Of course then you will have to leave the USA and wait to get you k1. After which you can enter the country on your K1 and get married legally. Your lawyer should be able to advise you on this plan if need be.

And for all some people like to get on their high horse about not planning a wedding before the paper work is in hand a lot of us do!!!

Maggie

Thanks Maggie, what a lovely message. You really seem to understand where I am comig from!

Family gathering it is unless we get reeeeaaalllly lucky!

x

Yep, you do.

Contact the USCIS and see what is taking your application so long, but I would make alternate plans for a wedding on a later date if I were you.

Good luck.

How do I contact the USCIS?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You must call the CSC. You may be on hold for 50 minutes but you might find you have already been approved and if not why. I was approved but they didn't update my notes on the US Website until 7 days after it had been approved. You are still waiting for your NOA2 aren't you?

People on here can be really sniffy and though they are well intentioned sometimes a little more TLC would be appreciated!

I really hope that everything works out for you, but I must agree with the other VJer who said not to use an Attorney. If you do it yourself you will know exactly where you are and that your case is not sitting on an Attorneys desk while they go off to play golf

6/05/06 - Mailed off the I29f

06/20/06 - Cheque cashed

7/07/06 - Still not received NOA1. Call CSC. They have input our address incorrectly. Give them the correct details. Also find out what our case number is from them so can check for touches!

07/13/06 - Receive RFE

07/26/06 - Email confirmation they have RFE

07/27/06 - Touched

08/23/07 - Call CSC to find out where NOA1 is and what date was on it. As it was sent to the wrong address it came back as undeliverable. They will not send it out again unless we send them a written request. However date was;

06/09/06 - NOA1

09/07/06 - NOA2 email confirmation

09/28/06 - NVC say they have sent details to US Embassy in London

12/09/06 - Sent back packet 3 recorded delivery

10/30/06 - Medical

11/06/06 - Interview confirmed 1st December!

01/17/07 - Wedding booked in Vegas

Maggie

I didn't, Maggie. :P

Timeline
You must call the CSC. You may be on hold for 50 minutes but you might find you have already been approved and if not why. I was approved but they didn't update my notes on the US Website until 7 days after it had been approved. You are still waiting for your NOA2 aren't you?

People on here can be really sniffy and though they are well intentioned sometimes a little more TLC would be appreciated!

I really hope that everything works out for you, but I must agree with the other VJer who said not to use an Attorney. If you do it yourself you will know exactly where you are and that your case is not sitting on an Attorneys desk while they go off to play golf

Yup I am still waiting for my NOA2, am just getting used to all the codes and numbers and forms!

My Fiance spoke to the Senators his local senators office, the said "you should have an answer by 13th october, it could be sooner, but its not a gurantee" What does that mean!

I am praying everyday for the NOA2, and so is everyone I know!

How do I call them myself?

Yup I am still waiting for my NOA2, am just getting used to all the codes and numbers and forms!

My Fiance spoke to the Senators his local senators office, the said "you should have an answer by 13th october, it could be sooner, but its not a gurantee" What does that mean!

I am praying everyday for the NOA2, and so is everyone I know!

How do I call them myself?

I don't think they can tell you by which date you can expect an answer. There's not a whole lot a Senator can do to push through a visa application; they can lean and prod but to my knowledge they can't call up the USCIS and bluster until they get their way. Either they can't, or they just don't.

Figure out where your application is being processed and call that particular center. You'll need your petition number which you should have. We did ours all in London since we both live in England, so whenever I needed answers I'd have called the US Embassy in London if they had opening hours that verged on the sane, which they don't, and if they had not charged premium rates for the call, which they do. Maybe your K-1 is still in a US visa processing center; maybe it's in London. I dunno; the K-1 gang can help you with that.

I would disregard promises about dates.

Timeline

Because you have been waiting for so long you must call and find out what is happening.

Call the USA not the London Embassy.

I'm at work at the moment and the number I used is at home however I think it is 1 800 375 5283.

Give them your case number also I needed my fiances Social Security No. Also the address you have both listed on the application.

Good Luck. I hope you get some positive feedback.

6/05/06 - Mailed off the I29f

06/20/06 - Cheque cashed

7/07/06 - Still not received NOA1. Call CSC. They have input our address incorrectly. Give them the correct details. Also find out what our case number is from them so can check for touches!

07/13/06 - Receive RFE

07/26/06 - Email confirmation they have RFE

07/27/06 - Touched

08/23/07 - Call CSC to find out where NOA1 is and what date was on it. As it was sent to the wrong address it came back as undeliverable. They will not send it out again unless we send them a written request. However date was;

06/09/06 - NOA1

09/07/06 - NOA2 email confirmation

09/28/06 - NVC say they have sent details to US Embassy in London

12/09/06 - Sent back packet 3 recorded delivery

10/30/06 - Medical

11/06/06 - Interview confirmed 1st December!

01/17/07 - Wedding booked in Vegas

Timeline
Because you have been waiting for so long you must call and find out what is happening.

I'm at work at the moment and the number I used is at home however I think it is 1 800 375 5283.

Give them your case number also I needed my fiances Social Security No. Also the address you have both listed on the application.

First off let me say that I really feel for you and how long it is taking. My Fiancee and i submitted our petition on 15 March 2006 and have just gotten our interview date in London for the 20th of October. So we know the pain and anguish that you and your fiancee are going thru.

Let me clear up some points here though as regards to what you can and cant do.

First off calling the service center.

When you call the number that is available you are not talking to anyone at the service center. You are talking to a contract employee at an office in New York City. All they can do is tell you what is in the computer. Nothing, and i repeat nothing you can tell them will speed the process up. If you received your NOA1, then they have the right address and all they will tell you is that is in processing. We tried contacting our senators (waste of time as they take over 60 days to even look into it). We also contacted my congressman, there we got some action. You will be required to send them a form giving them permission to look into your case but once that is done, it seems congressman take action and do something. Mine sent a letter to the california service center and magically two days later we got our NOA2. Of course that was after waiting from March 15 to August 8th.

Once you do get your NOA2 the petition is sent to NVC. There you can call and they will tell you when they have received it and sent it on to the embassy. However this process can take from a few days to up to 4 weeks. It can take longer if you are put into administrative review!!! There is no telling if that may happen, it is on case by case basis.

Once you are thru NVC, the embassy will send you what everyone here calls packet 3. Once you receive that you can schedule your medical. You can not schedule it until you have a case number and the proper paperwork from the embassy. As soon as you get packet 3 fill out the required forms and complete the checklist. My fiancee and I had already filled out the proper paper work by downloading it from the web sites and all we did was just send packet 3 right back. (small delay because we were in Rome when it arrived) You already have the police checks, but do you have the financial statement from the US citizen that shows he has the income to support you? That is required prior to the interview. Once you return packet 3, the embassy will schedule you for your interview and send you packet 4 which is your instructions for the interview.

This whole process at the embassy can take from 3 weeks to 2 months. Now if there is no problems, you will receive your visa a few days after your interview, however nothing is for sure. There is literally nothing you can do to speed this process up (with the exception of having all the paperwork done in advance).

I wish I could wave a magic wand and make this all go faster but there is literally nothing you can do to speed it up. Just know you are not the only one suffering thru this and that we are all here to offer advice and support.

Good luck.

June 05 Lisa and I fall in love

15 Mar 06 I-129F received at CSC NOA1

5 Aug 06 NOA2 after 143 days in CSC purgatory

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

16 Feb 07 Denial Letter received

12 Mar 07 Motion to reconsider submitted

10 Sep 07 Motion to Reconsider denied

9 May 08 Lisa and Married in United Kingdom

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

May 7 09 Lisa's Interview I 601 filed

29 Jul 09 I-601 waiver approved

18 Aug 09 Passport to London Embassy

20 Aug 09 Tickets purchased for 10 Sep 09

WE HAVE FINALLY WON, OUR LONG AND HARD JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!!!!!!

Timeline

First off let me say that I really feel for you and how long it is taking. My Fiancee and i submitted our petition on 15 March 2006 and have just gotten our interview date in London for the 20th of October. So we know the pain and anguish that you and your fiancee are going thru.

Let me clear up some points here though as regards to what you can and cant do.

First off calling the service center.

When you call the number that is available you are not talking to anyone at the service center. You are talking to a contract employee at an office in New York City. All they can do is tell you what is in the computer. Nothing, and i repeat nothing you can tell them will speed the process up. If you received your NOA1, then they have the right address and all they will tell you is that is in processing. We tried contacting our senators (waste of time as they take over 60 days to even look into it). We also contacted my congressman, there we got some action. You will be required to send them a form giving them permission to look into your case but once that is done, it seems congressman take action and do something. Mine sent a letter to the california service center and magically two days later we got our NOA2. Of course that was after waiting from March 15 to August 8th.

Once you do get your NOA2 the petition is sent to NVC. There you can call and they will tell you when they have received it and sent it on to the embassy. However this process can take from a few days to up to 4 weeks. It can take longer if you are put into administrative review!!! There is no telling if that may happen, it is on case by case basis.

Once you are thru NVC, the embassy will send you what everyone here calls packet 3. Once you receive that you can schedule your medical. You can not schedule it until you have a case number and the proper paperwork from the embassy. As soon as you get packet 3 fill out the required forms and complete the checklist. My fiancee and I had already filled out the proper paper work by downloading it from the web sites and all we did was just send packet 3 right back. (small delay because we were in Rome when it arrived) You already have the police checks, but do you have the financial statement from the US citizen that shows he has the income to support you? That is required prior to the interview. Once you return packet 3, the embassy will schedule you for your interview and send you packet 4 which is your instructions for the interview.

This whole process at the embassy can take from 3 weeks to 2 months. Now if there is no problems, you will receive your visa a few days after your interview, however nothing is for sure. There is literally nothing you can do to speed this process up (with the exception of having all the paperwork done in advance).

I wish I could wave a magic wand and make this all go faster but there is literally nothing you can do to speed it up. Just know you are not the only one suffering thru this and that we are all here to offer advice and support.

Good luck.

Thank you so much! I am going to get my Fiance to get right on to the Congressman, I will try anything!

He has his last years tax return, and he earns more than enough so I am sure that wont be a problem area.

I will let you kow how I get on...

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I don't know what will happen at your interview since we did not apply for a K-1, but I hear that they ask a lot more questions of K-1 applicants than they do of couples like my husband and I, who have been married for 5+ years and obviously aren't in a sham marriage for immigration purposes.

I'm surprised that you have not yet observed that your "I hear"s are largely incorrect.

K-1 interviews in London are surprisingly question-free.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.