rebeccajo

Let's Speculate....

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

We've got our home for sale. Some of you know that.

I'm starting to wonder about something. Whenever it DOES sell, should we really buy another one right away?

I mean, the market stinks. Our Sunday morning paper is full of homes with slashed prices.

Do we REALLY want to take what will probably be the few dollars of equity (few as in real estate numbers) and re-invest it in another home right away? Would we be better off to take a rental and park the money in another investment for a while?

We would really rather NOT rent - mostly because we prefer owning a small home AND we didn't want to move twice.

If buying, our intention would be a 'permanent' move - not buying and 'flipping' soon.

And there's the outside possibility we would consider returning to the UK someday.

Where's our money going to work the best for us?

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'd look at what the prices were about 5 years ago and wait until the market bubble bursts back down to within those values...with inflationary adjustment.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5690967

Where Is the Housing Market Headed?

audio of Lawrence Yun, senior economist with the National Association of Realtors.

After five years of explosive growth, the housing market is finally cooling off. New national data show that the stock of unsold houses is up, prices are stable or dropping in most places, and sales this quarter are down from a year ago.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

During the time you are parking your money in another investment, will the return compensate for the rent you will paying somewhere else. The long term outlook on the market right now is 5 years before we see a turn around. But that is also dependent on your area.

Edited by boboroad

K-3 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2002-09-28

I-130 Sent : 2004-06-01

I-130 NOA1 : 2004-06-29

Re-entry to U.S. Denied:2005-12-31

I-130 Approval : 2006-03-09

NVC Received : 2006-05-02

Your I-130 was approved in 646 days.

NVC Packet complete 2006-09-14

Interview : 2006-11-01

Visa: 2006-11-02

POE: 2006-11-02

Arrived at home: 2006-11-04

Welcome Letter: 2006-11-24

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

hi i'm not all that familar with real estate, but if you can get a good price for your home i would buy another house right away while prices are being slashed, before the trend changes and they rise again. also i don't know where you live? Houses are still pretty high in coeur d' alene Idaho, am hoping to see a drop when it comes to buying. market slow where i am also homes were selling great then sudden stop just when i put mine on the market then 3 of my neighbors put theirs up. And i guess it all boils down to how many more years you intend to stay in the u.s.

wedding 2006-06-03

i130

2006-06-24.......mailed

06-07-18.......noa1

09-19.......touched[li

09-20.......rfe sent

09-25.......rfe mailed back

10-02.......rfe email received uscis

10-03.......touched

12-12.......APPROVED

i129f

06-08-21......mailed

06-08-29.....noa1

06-09-02....touched

06-09-09....touched

06-10-20...touched ...sent to csc

06-10-27...touched

06-11-15...APPROVED 07-03-08 interview and visa approved

1. EAD.... sent may 13
  2. biometrics.....june 13
  3. ead transfer to csc.....july 13

4. EAD card in production

We just sold less than 6 months ago and decided to invest it and rent instead. The main reason being that we will be returning in a few years and the market just would not grow enough. The renting has worked out well for us. Taxes here have gone up and we have a lovely home with a fixed lease and rent until we leave the country. We have a stockbroker who has already made some great strides with our new investments. On the flip side, I'm glad I haven't sold my property in the UK as it's making unspeakable amounts of money that I would never had imagined.

**Forgot to add that the big bonus is there is no stress of a house to sell when we are ready to leave the US.

Edited by Lou Lou

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: Timeline
During the time you are parking your money in another investment, will the return compensate for the rent you will paying somewhere else. The long term outlook on the market right now is 5 years before we see a turn around. But that is also dependent on your area.

As a Banking professional I totally agree with Steven. Rent and wait. The market is in a state

of correction at the moment. I also have my house on the Market, valued at $749, 000 and has slashed

my price to $425K and still no action. I have enclosed a photo of my house, where can one find such a house in Florida for $425, 000 yet no buyers?post-21953-1159729275_thumb.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

As a Banking professional I totally agree with Steven. Rent and wait. The market is in a state

of correction at the moment. I also have my house on the Market, valued at $749, 000 and has slashed

my price to $425K and still no action. I have enclosed a photo of my house, where can one find such a house in Florida for $425, 000 yet no buyers?post-21953-1159729275_thumb.jpg

Beautiful home! Wow! :star:

Well another wrinkle....

After dropping Wes off to work, I went by the little FSBO we have been interested in moving too. It's a little home that needs some work but in a great location. They can no longer wait on us without an earnest deposit - they didn't say but I suspect they want $5000 to take the house off the market.

Seems we need to make this decision in the next day or so, at least as regards this house.

Well another wrinkle....

After dropping Wes off to work, I went by the little FSBO we have been interested in moving too. It's a little home that needs some work but in a great location. They can no longer wait on us without an earnest deposit - they didn't say but I suspect they want $5000 to take the house off the market.

Seems we need to make this decision in the next day or so, at least as regards this house.

Personally speaking; never want anything that you can never walk away from. The market

is in correction......few months from now you will see deals that you never thought possible.

Let that cute FSBO pass you by. Wait and watch the market. You and Wes will find a cuter

house at a bargain price.

Well another wrinkle....

Personally speaking; never want anything that you can never walk away from. The market

is in correction......few months from now you will see deals that you never thought possible.

Let that cute FSBO pass you by. Wait and watch the market. You and Wes will find a cuter

It's not the cuteness. It's the location.

I'm really very confused.

Edited by rebeccajo

Well another wrinkle....

It's not the cuteness. It's the location.

I'm really very confused.

When my house gets sold I will rent for a year so I can buy at 'corrected' price.

The market is in correction......

No kidding. The market is very hard to read right now. There are identical and near-identical units in the townhouse complex down the street (all units built in 2003) on sale, listed at widely divergent prices. There have been some recent sales in the complex I live in and no clear price pattern emerges. The market is in flux right now and if I were you, rebecca, I'd wait for it to settle down into a steady state before I made a purchase. JMHO of course.

I also agree with jamrok about CDs. I recall reading somewhere that average real estate appreciation year-to-year over the last 30 years has been ~5%. Well you can get more than 5% on a CD right now. The stock market, like the real estate market, is transitioning. Small caps aren't doing as well as they used to and the larger caps seem to be gaining momentum (in general); again, being a small investor, I'm holding off on new trades till the fog clears.

Edited by Gupt

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.