Sanndra

K1 visa and spent time together in person

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

I met my fiancé online a year ago. After six months we decided to meet. It was easier to meet in the USA, but my tourist visa was declined. It was harder for him to visit me, because of his work. However he came and we spent 6 days in my country.

After we met in person we decided to marry and now we have ready the documents for K1 visa. We are afraid that the visa application may be decline because of the little time we spent together and the declined tourist visa. Are 6 days too less time?

We have a long distance between us for the next 6 months, so we think it is better to put the visa in progress, but we want to make the right decision …

Would it be the right thing to do if we send the docs now? If the visa is declined again how long do we have to wait, to apply again?

Edited by Sanndra

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I met my fiancé online a year ago. After six months we decided to meet. It was easier to meet in the USA, but my tourist visa was declined. It was harder for him to visit me, because of his work. However he came and we spent 6 days in my country.

After we met in person we decided to marry and now we have ready the documents for K1 visa. We are afraid that the visa application may be decline because of the little time we spent together and the declined tourist visa. Are 6 days too less time?

We have a long distance between us for the next 6 months, so we think it is better to put the visa in progress, but we want to make the right decision …

Would it be the right thing to do if we send the docs now? If the visa is declined again how long do we have to wait, to apply again?

Welcome to the forum!

Look at the Guides for more information on documenting an ongoing relationship, there is good information there. Please take the opportunity to become familiar with this site. Try to think positive about the fiance(e)/spouse visa approval, just be thorough and diligent the first time. The tourist visa to the US is often a difficult one to obtain. It often seems that you have to prove to an above and beyond level of "compelling reasons" to return home at the end of the tourist visa, in order to obtain one. It is often easier for the US citizen to visit their loved one in their country.

I can tell you that it isn't a "walk in the park" for most of us to get away from work to visit overseas. However, the purpose and end result of the visits are quite worthwhile.

Good luck.

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

I doubt if the declined tourist visa will have anything to do with your K1 application. Two different things. Although I have my opinions about people only knowing each other,face to face, for such a brief time, the rules only ask that you have met in the last 2 years. This you have done. Just be prepared to document this, showing significant proof of your relationship.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

You will not be declined because of the past events. The 6 days are enough to qualify for the K 1. You are on the right path now. Use the guides here to study the procedures. Then post any questions you have so the members can be of help.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

We had very similar circumstances. I applied for a tourist visa well before we applied for a K1 visa and was denied as well. I too was worried at the time that it would then impact our K1 application. The two are mutually exclusive. K1 has nothing to do with the policies set within the agreement between Romania and the United States on tourist visa allocation requirements and approvals.

Just make sure you have a good amount of proof from your meeting together and copies of your correspondence/ongoing relationship and you will be just fine.

Hope all is well,

DOJ & KCJ

:thumbs:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

The duration of meeting doesn't matter when it comes to being approved for the i-129f, it matters if you have met or not. As for the later process, you may want to look into what other Romanians went through during the interview, it varies from country to country how they are with ongoing relationship. But as of now, you're okay.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
The duration of meeting doesn't matter when it comes to being approved for the i-129f, it matters if you have met or not. As for the later process, you may want to look into what other Romanians went through during the interview, it varies from country to country how they are with ongoing relationship. But as of now, you're okay.
This is good advice. Be certain to share more visits over the next several months (in a neutral country is OK, too). This will build evidence of a bona fide relationship for your consular interview.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

This is good advice. Be certain to share more visits over the next several months (in a neutral country is OK, too). This will build evidence of a bona fide relationship for your consular interview.

I sat and actually read through your experience(along with others too) a while ago, in a thread dedicated to your embassy experience. Never ever will I advise based on my experience alone. Phew!

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I sat and actually read through your experience(along with others too) a while ago, in a thread dedicated to your embassy experience. Never ever will I advise based on my experience alone. Phew!
Ah, yes, si man:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/110313-us-consulate-in-guayaquil-ecuador/

The chief lesson is to keep a long-range view that the visa interview is something to prepare for with the petition filing, if prudent, or at least to build toward after the petition has been filed. One smart way to prepare is to read all the "Embassy Info" and "Reviews: Embassy" (links atop every VJ page) for YOUR consulate, and to pay attention to the very WORST stories that people have reported.

Nothing is more harmful to a greater number of VJ members than to read "I sailed through my interview at my powderpuff embassy, so you have nothing to worry about."

Thanks for the opportunity to point this out, si man.

With that said, the OP's U.S. embassy in Romania is NOT known as a particularly difficult place to interview.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

My fiancee is also from Romania and was also denied a tourist visa - twice. It is my understanding that this is not uncommon and a tourist visa from Romania is difficult to get. I was concerned as well about the impact that would have on our K1 visa, but was told by an immigration attorney that it should not be a factor. I have been to Romania a couple of times since our initial meeting - it did get difficult for me to always go there so we met in Mexico where neither of us needed a visa, and it saved me some travel time ( only a couple hour flight for me instead of 18 hours) and we were able to spend more time together. His visit satisfies the requirement of having met in person one time, but it will help if you can meet again as you will need proof of an on-going relationship. Visa Journey has been very helpful! As others have suggested read the feedback on the Romanian embassy.

K1 Visa                                                                 Adjustment of Status                                                             ROC

Service Center : California Service Center                        CIS Office : Kansas City MO Service Center                           California Service Center

Consulate : Bucharest, Romania

I-129F Sent : 2011-11-18                                 Date Filed : 2012-09-04 Date                            Filed: 2015-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-11-23                                      NOA Date : 2012-09-06                                                             NOA1 Date: 2015-05-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none                                              RFE(s) : NONE                                              RFE(s): NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-12                                                 Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-03                                                              BIO. Appt.: 2015-09-15

NVC Received : 2012-04-26

NVC Left : 2012-05-10                                           EAD/AP Approved : 2012-11-08                             ROC APPROVED:2015-10-26      

Consulate Received : 2012-05-14                               EAD/AP Card Received : 2012-11-17                         Green card Received: 2015-11-04    

Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-17                                          Green card Approved : 2013-07-08                        NO INTERVIEW

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-05-20                                                    NO INTERVIEW

Interview Date : 2012-06-26                                                 Green Card Received : 2013-07-15

Interview Result : Approved                                                 

Visa Received : 2012-06-26                                                   

US Entry : 2012-07-05

Marriage : 2012-08-24

N-400 Naturalization:

04/25/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS AZ courier address thru FedEx

05/04/2106 NOA I-797 Receipt Notice Date
05/27/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
06/08/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
06/13/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
07/18/2016 Date of Interview
08/11/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Kansas City, MO

event.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You will not be declined because of the past events. The 6 days are enough to qualify for the K 1. You are on the right path now. Use the guides here to study the procedures. Then post any questions you have so the members can be of help.

Actually, people are often declined because of past events. Six days or even one day is enough to qualify to file the petition but to obtain the actual visa is a judgement call by a Consular officer. If it is possible to arrange another visit before or at the time of the visa interview, that would be a very good idea. If not, be certain to document how and how frequently you communicate and be very well prepared for the interview.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Actually, people are often declined because of past events. Six days or even one day is enough to qualify to file the petition but to obtain the actual visa is a judgement call by a Consular officer. If it is possible to arrange another visit before or at the time of the visa interview, that would be a very good idea. If not, be certain to document how and how frequently you communicate and be very well prepared for the interview.

I was talking about this specific case. In my own case I was denied for a tourist visa 3 times. Those denials had no affect on my visa. Even though we disclosed those denials there wasnt one problem nor one question about those denials.

Many people are denied tourist visas only to be granted an immigration visa later. I have seen this here on V J many times. What probably matter most in this case is excatly why the visa was denied. The O P left that info out. I have to assume it was due to ties to her country.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I was talking about this specific case. In my own case I was denied for a tourist visa 3 times. Those denials had no affect on my visa. Even though we disclosed those denials there wasnt one problem nor one question about those denials.

Many people are denied tourist visas only to be granted an immigration visa later. I have seen this here on V J many times. What probably matter most in this case is excatly why the visa was denied. The O P left that info out. I have to assume it was due to ties to her country.

That may have been what you had in mind but it is NOT what you wrote. I expect you are right but they still need to convince a Consular Officer they have a real relationship and six days is not much time together.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

There is no minimum time limit required for the meeting. You have to prove you have a legitimate relationship at the interview. If have evidence of your meeting, then you are good to go to file the petition.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

i had met my fiance (now husband) only for 10 days before applying for K1. i had the same worries you do but everything went smoothly and without any problems at all. the consuls know that it's difficult for 2 people who live so far apart from each other to meet too often because of their jobs and other factors. the romanian consulate is not difficult at all, i never heard of anyone being denied K1 or CR1 visa unless maybe there was something wrong with their papers or the relationship was fake (they somehow know when you lie).

so meeting for a little time before applying for the visa shouldn't be something to worry about. take care!

Edited by s&v

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.