Rocky_nBullwinkle

Things you find na kakaiba sa US of A

40 posts in this topic

There is no spaghetti and fried chicken in McDonald's menu and I'm tired of answering "I'm good" everytime someone ask me "how are you?"

bunbunard20090713_-6_ETHAN.png

I-751 Lifting Conditions Timeline

April 06, 2010 - mailed I-751 documents via usps express mail(overnight)with delivery confirmation

April 07, 2010 - packet delivered and signed

April 12, 2010 - check was cashed

April 13, 2010 - received NOA1 (dated 04/08/10)

May 07, 2010 - Biometrics

May 10, 2010 - Touched

June 23, 2010 - APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW!!!

DSC00770.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

*LOL*

Just say "Estoy Bien, Me No Speakin' Igles" then they will leave you alone unless you live in Southern California or Texas then you are in trouble.

It is fun to mess with them. I went to Food Lion, place here in North Carolina where we shop for food and the cashier asked me did I find everything okay? I was like no. That completely stumped her. I guess it wasn't in the orientation to respond to such a rhetorical question.

USCIS

28 JUL 11 SENT I129F PACKAGE

04 AUG 11 NOA 1 RECEIVED

05 AUG 11 NOA 1 NOTICE DATE

07 AUG 11 CHECK CASHED $340 *OUCH*

14 AUG 11 RECEIVED RETURN RECEIPT FROM USPS

09 DEC 11 RECEIVED NOA 2

19 DEC 11 LETTER FROM NVC STATING THE PETITION WILL BE FORWARDED TO MANILA

127 DAYS BETWEEN NOA 1 & NOA 2.

MANILA EMBASSY

13 JAN 12 RECEIVED PACKET 3 SINGLE LETTER (QUENNY)

27 JAN 12 RECEIVED PACKET 3 COPY TO ME HERE IN STATES

29 JAN 12 SENT MONEY $350 FOR VISA APPLICATION

30 JAN 12 MADE VISA APPOINTMENT

06 FEB 12 SENT PAPERS FOR VISA INTERVIEW (4.2lbs Through DHL, $140)

09 FEB 12 SENT MONEY FOR INTERVIEW & SEMINAR

13 FEB 12 MEDICAL PROCESS DAY 1

14 FEB 12 MEDICAL PROCESS DAY 2

05 MAR 12 VISA INTERVIEW AT MANILA, PHILIPPINES

I dunno about other states but here in Florida, you can get married at 18 but you cannot drink alcohol unless you are 21.

There is no spaghetti and fried chicken in McDonald's menu and I'm tired of answering "I'm good" everytime someone ask me "how are you?"

Yep I agree. They do that a lot in Publix..LOL

*LOL*

Just say "Estoy Bien, Me No Speakin' Igles" then they will leave you alone unless you live in Southern California or Texas then you are in trouble.

It is fun to mess with them. I went to Food Lion, place here in North Carolina where we shop for food and the cashier asked me did I find everything okay? I was like no. That completely stumped her. I guess it wasn't in the orientation to respond to such a rhetorical question.

I find it weird that the Mexicans always mistook me as one of them. They walk up to me and start speaking in Spanish. When I got here in 2007, all I know what to say is "Hola", "Como estas", "gracias" and "Adios". Now, I can speak conversational Spanish. Learned a lot from the Mexicans at work. They always say them everyday anyways. My Mexican friend even told me that I speak more Spanish than her husband. Wouldn't hurt to learn a new language and I learned it here in the US of A.

Mga namamalimos sa Pinas nanlilimahid. Dito naman ang gaganda ng mga suot. Kunwari "stranded daw at need gas money" Pero huwag ka broke sila. As in dead broke.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Timeline

Don't worry.. You are not alone on that. Here in he states. It is not about quality, but quanity. They will give you your check even before you take the first bite of your main entree. I just tell them to go away and leave me alone or they don't get tip, but even worse I won't pay for the food for the interruptions.

It is one thing coming by to fill up the drinks. It is another thing trying to kick us out the door and expect a good tip from it.

For American customers, time is money. 2,000% more money to be exact, based on per capita incomes. So American customers get really irritated waiting on a waitress for their check. Waitresses know American customers have much more valuable things to do with their time than wait on a modestly paid waitress who can make more in a day than the average Filipino makes in a month if she doesn't waste the customers' time.

To someone who has nothing better to do with their time, sure - you view speedy service as being "kicked out", where an American views it as being set free to put their time to better use.

For American customers, time is money. 2,000% more money to be exact, based on per capita incomes. So American customers get really irritated waiting on a waitress for their check. Waitresses know American customers have much more valuable things to do with their time than wait on a modestly paid waitress who can make more in a day than the average Filipino makes in a month if she doesn't waste the customers' time.

To someone who has nothing better to do with their time, sure - you view speedy service as being "kicked out", where an American views it as being set free to put their time to better use.

Just because people take their time it doesn't mean they have nothing better to do. Travel around the world and you will see the pace of life varies from place to place. Travel to Italy and you'll be overwhelmed on how SLOW they are. LOL So does that mean they have nothing better to do? I don't think so. It's culture. Maybe that's why people who live in these slow-paced places are better natured in general.

On the other side, the waitress is "kicking you out" because they want to get out of their shift ASAP because they are tired and want to get off from the floor away from nasty, ill-mannered, condescending, entitled customers who think you owe them even your personal time. LOL.

25 January 2010: Concurrent filing of I-130, I-485, EAD and AP - sent via UPS overnight delivery to Chicago Lockbox

26 January 2010: Received by receptionist CHIBA at 8:30 AM/Received date on NOA

02 February 2010: Checked cashed/Notice date

05 February 2010: Received NOA's for I-130,I-485,I-131,I-130

13 February 2010: Received ASC Appointment Notice for Biometrics.

17 February 2010: Date of RFE for Federal Tax 1040/Received Text & Email confirmation

19 February 2010: Received RFE in mail

22 February 2010: Mailed Response to RFE via USPS Express mail

24 February 2010: Package delivered and received at Lee's Summit office

26 February 2010: Biometrics DONE/RFE Received-case processing resumed

17 March 2010: Email approval notifications - EAD & AP.

22 March 2010: Received AP by mail. Received interview schedule notice for 22 April.

22 April 2010: Greencard Approved :)

Removal of Conditions

24 January 2012: Sent I-751 petition via USPS Overnight

25 January 2012: Delivered at CSC, Receipt Date NOA1

27 January 2012: Checked cashed

30 January 2012: Received NOA in mail.

06 February 2012: Received Biometrics notice (dated 03 Feb)

02 March 2012: Biometrics appointment.

Timeline

Just because people take their time it doesn't mean they have nothing better to do. Travel around the world and you will see the pace of life varies from place to place. Travel to Italy and you'll be overwhelmed on how SLOW they are. LOL So does that mean they have nothing better to do? I don't think so. It's culture. Maybe that's why people who live in these slow-paced places are better natured in general.

On the other side, the waitress is "kicking you out" because they want to get out of their shift ASAP because they are tired and want to get off from the floor away from nasty, ill-mannered, condescending, entitled customers who think you owe them even your personal time. LOL.

The thing is that a job is a job. It should be consistent throughout the day. Yes, being a waitress is a hard job, but shouldn't be treated any different as if you served the first customer to the last.

If it is about pushing the line between when they work and when they get off then that is management. They should have a cut off time and have the waitress do odd end jobs towards the end of her shift and have someone take over doing tables. That way the previous waitress can get off in time, if she insist that she needs the tips then go for it, continue waiting tables till the end, but a job is a job.

USCIS

04 AUG 11 NOA 1 RECEIVED

09 DEC 11 RECEIVED NOA 2

MANILA EMBASSY

Timeline

Just because people take their time it doesn't mean they have nothing better to do.

It does by definition for rational people. You can't see the difference between "nothing to do" and "nothing better to do". Rational people put their time to the best use, according to their own preferences. A surfer dude hangs out at the beach because that is his best use of time by his own standard. He has nothing better to do.

Some people want to loiter at restaurants instead of doing something else. They see nothing better to do, by definition.

Travel around the world and you will see the pace of life varies from place to place. Travel to Italy and you'll be overwhelmed on how SLOW they are. LOL So does that mean they have nothing better to do? I don't think so. It's culture. Maybe that's why people who live in these slow-paced places are better natured in general.

Been to Italy, France, Philippines, Russia, Canada, Peru, Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, maybe some I have forgotten - and taught economics or did consulting in a number of those, including the present subject. The Italian Riviera was a disappointment for the amount of excrement and urine along the retaining walls by the sea where I went fishing, and they definitely have more of a culture of covert aggression where you score "points" by making people wait on you - like showing up late to meetings or dallying instead of that high-step service.

That covert aggression is written about in books on personality disorders and abusive people, not something that is "better natured". There is a huge difference between a person who is "laid back" vs. a person who "turns his back" to ignore you and make you wait - that is a person showing you disrespect. Some cultures have a lot more of it than others, and the USA has less of it. The customer is always right, be punctual, etc.

I didn't, and I made way more in tips than I did on wage. The waitstaff with the bad attitudes you seem to champion really resented me because of that. They would sit doing nothing behind the register and glare at me zooming around serving coffee. They would tell me I set a bad example by working too hard. They were the same people that didn't study in school and resented people who did.

But the customers loved me, and I stuffed wads of cash in my pocket because of it.

kakaiba...

kelangan turuan mo ang anak mo mag-wave wave and say hi to everybody. sa Pinas... don't talk to strangers ang unang itinuturo natin.

ung sa Pharmacy, wala kang mabiling matinong gamot without prescription, and everytime may sakit ka.. pupunta ka muna sa doctor bago ka makakabili ng gamot.

At ang pila sa doc office akala mo blockbuster na pilikula... with appointment pa yan ha! The best part pag-new patient ka, halos isang buwan kang mag-aantay bago ka magkaka-appointment date. lolz. Mahal mag-pa-pasta ng ipin.. mas mura pabunot ng ipin. Parang ayaw nila i-save ang ipin mo! :-)

Maraming mas gusto kumuha ng food stamps kesa mag-work ng maraming hours kahit pwede naman. Maraming teenager na nakakakuha ng social security kasi "disabled" daw.. pero makikita mo sila pakalat kalat, tambay, nag-lalasing, smoking (pot or otherwise), at umiinom. Nakakapag-laro ng football.. pero "disabled" daw sila to work. Ayaw mag-aral kahit libre na lahat. Pumapasa kahit di marunong sumulat at bumasa.

Mayroon din mga feeling PAL, may trabaho pero utang ng utang kasi nauubos ang pera sa drugs. lol. but i guess meron din yan sa Pinas. Walang pera pang bili ng gatas ng anak, walang gas papuntang work, pero wag ka tatawag kasi na-stranded somewhere (in the middle of the night) kasi bumisita sa friend's house. Sus me!

Kanya kanyang file ng taxes, sa Pinas employer mo nag-file for you... at for sure wala kang REFUND! lol.

Timeline

kakaiba...

kelangan turuan mo ang anak mo mag-wave wave and say hi to everybody. sa Pinas... don't talk to strangers ang unang itinuturo natin.

ung sa Pharmacy, wala kang mabiling matinong gamot without prescription, and everytime may sakit ka.. pupunta ka muna sa doctor bago ka makakabili ng gamot.

At ang pila sa doc office akala mo blockbuster na pilikula... with appointment pa yan ha! The best part pag-new patient ka, halos isang buwan kang mag-aantay bago ka magkaka-appointment date. lolz. Mahal mag-pa-pasta ng ipin.. mas mura pabunot ng ipin. Parang ayaw nila i-save ang ipin mo! :-)

Maraming mas gusto kumuha ng food stamps kesa mag-work ng maraming hours kahit pwede naman. Maraming teenager na nakakakuha ng social security kasi "disabled" daw.. pero makikita mo sila pakalat kalat, tambay, nag-lalasing, smoking (pot or otherwise), at umiinom. Nakakapag-laro ng football.. pero "disabled" daw sila to work. Ayaw mag-aral kahit libre na lahat. Pumapasa kahit di marunong sumulat at bumasa.

Mayroon din mga feeling PAL, may trabaho pero utang ng utang kasi nauubos ang pera sa drugs. lol. but i guess meron din yan sa Pinas. Walang pera pang bili ng gatas ng anak, walang gas papuntang work, pero wag ka tatawag kasi na-stranded somewhere (in the middle of the night) kasi bumisita sa friend's house. Sus me!

Kanya kanyang file ng taxes, sa Pinas employer mo nag-file for you... at for sure wala kang REFUND! lol.

I guess the employer feels that if they file for you, then the convince for their work would be your refund. LOL The question is if they give you a choice to do your own or does the employer has mandatory rights over it.

USCIS

04 AUG 11 NOA 1 RECEIVED

09 DEC 11 RECEIVED NOA 2

MANILA EMBASSY

I guess the employer feels that if they file for you, then the convince for their work would be your refund. LOL The question is if they give you a choice to do your own or does the employer has mandatory rights over it.

no i think it is mandatory that they file for you. the average Filipino will not file tax return or do not have an idea on how to file. :-)

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

kakaiba...

Hahaha. totoo... Tanong ko nga dati "paano nagdridrive ang disabled"? Hahahaha

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

For me madami kakaiba dito sa US kumpara sa pinas isa-isahin ko .

1. Yung starbucks sikat sa pinas , alam mo yung tipong sa pinoy pag nakapasok starbucks eh sikat na lol. Dito sa US kahit saan me starbucks parang normal coffee shop lan kasi madaming coffeeshop eh. Di na halus napapansin starbucks kasi mas madaming mas maganda pa dun.

2. Cars , sa US madaming magagandang cars na makikita mo kahit saan. Like Porsche , Ferrari , Audi , Mercedes or any other sports car normal lang yun sa US. Pero kung sa pinoy makakita lang na convertible or any other car na ganun pagtitinginan na agad or picturan lol. SA trafic lahat sumusunod i mean like pag me stop na signal nag stop yung car , sa pinas walang stop stop over take dito over take doon haha..

3. SA pagkain di sila gumagamit ng kutsara mostly tinidor lang :rofl: at pagpasok palang sa store or resto sabi agad sayo ng waiter " hey how are you today " ? haha bati dito agad tapus tanong anu maitutulong ek ek.. sa pinas snobin kalan unles na mag tatanong ka lol

4. Yung panahon dito , kakaiba kasi sa umaga pagising ko mag alas 7 na ng umaga eh saka pa sisikat araw or madilim pa haha ..tapus pag sa gabi naman mag aalas 8 na ng gabi eh me araw padin? Haha sa pilipinas yan eh ang dilim na ng alas 8 eh :)) i find it weird talaga kakaiba pero i love my life here.

yan palang naobserbahan kung kakaiba dito :P

Edited by timchen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.