Dan and Judy

If a Saudi Arabian immigrates to US with 2 wives

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'll answer the tax part if you can tell me how he would be able to immigrate with 2 wives in the first place, since USCIS does not recognize plural marriage.

Ok, what if he leaves wife #2 behind but continues to support her. Can he treat #2 as a resident Alien? and then claim both of em?

http://www.irs.gov/b...d=96734,00.html

U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad - Nonresident Alien Spouse

Election to File Joint Return

If, at the end of your tax year, you are married and one spouse is a U.S. citizen or a resident alien and the other is a nonresident alien, you can choose to treat the nonresident as a U.S. resident. This includes situations in which one of you is a nonresident alien at the beginning of the tax year, but a resident alien at the end of the year, and the other is a nonresident alien at the end of the year.

If you make this choice, the following rules apply:

• You and your spouse are treated, for income tax purposes, as residents for all tax years that the choice is in effect,
  • You must file a joint income tax return for the year you make the choice, and
  • Each spouse must report his or her entire worldwide income on the joint income tax return

If you make this choice, you and your spouse are treated as residents for your entire tax year for the purpose of your federal individual income tax return, and for the purpose of withholding U.S. federal income tax from your wages.

Edited by Dan and Judy

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Polygamy is illegal in every state, so no tax benefit for committing the illegal act of polygamy. Active polygamist in the US will only register one marriage as legal and claim only one legal wife. The other wives are religious marriages that are not legal. They know not to claim more than one legal wife.

Second, an LPR who practice polygamy can be deported. Polygamy is an in admissible offense if the LPR plans to practice in the US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Polygamy is illegal in every state, so no tax benefit for committing the illegal act of polygamy. Active polygamist in the US will only register one marriage as legal and claim only one legal wife. The other wives are religious marriages that are not legal. They know not to claim more than one legal wife.

Second, an LPR who practice polygamy can be deported. Polygamy is an in admissible offense if the LPR plans to practice in the US.

Unless one of his wives is also his daughter and he is from Saudi Kentucky. Then she can be claimed as a dependent.

OK, joking aside...

Wives/husbands are not claimed as dependents, they are simply joint filers and get a deduction for themselves. Children are dependents. There is no provision for more than one "spouse"

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Unless one of his wives is also his daughter and he is from Saudi Kentucky. Then she can be claimed as a dependent.

OK, joking aside...

Adopted adults can be counted, can't they? As long as they're dependents living in the house not doing anything, they could be dependents. Especially if they're college-aged.

If wife #1 (spouse) adopted wife #2 and/or wife #3 as dependent children then it would be acceptable for the husband to claim all three wives. One as spouse and two as dependent children.

Makes sense, right?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Adopted adults can be counted, can't they? As long as they're dependents living in the house not doing anything, they could be dependents. Especially if they're college-aged.

If wife #1 (spouse) adopted wife #2 and/or wife #3 as dependent children then it would be acceptable for the husband to claim all three wives. One as spouse and two as dependent children.

Makes sense, right?

Gross. Will he having sex with his "adopted children?"

We don't let people abuse the adult adoption loophole for a tax benefit. Gay couples used to do this - adopt a partner to create a legal familial relationship because they could not legally marry - and the IRS disallowed these dependents.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Slim, are you adopting soon? Wassup, man?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Gross. Will he having sex with his "adopted children?"

We don't let people abuse the adult adoption loophole for a tax benefit. Gay couples used to do this - adopt a partner to create a legal familial relationship because they could not legally marry - and the IRS disallowed these dependents.

What's gross about people being in love?

Slim, are you adopting soon? Wassup, man?

I will not adopt ever. Kids are too expensives. Kids/Wives, even moreso!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

What's gross about people being in love?

I will not adopt ever. Kids are too expensives. Kids/Wives, even moreso!

What's gross is adopting a wife as a child, and then having sex with this person who is a legally adopted child. That is what is so gross when certain people are in love.