PalestineMyHeart

No civilized country demolishes homes

64 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
Friday, January 27 2012|Mairav Zonszein

MK on settler outposts: No civilized country demolishes homes

As illegal settler outposts in the West Bank continue to circumvent law and only expand, Palestinian homes that have been around for decades longer are demolished over and over again.

This week, national-religious MK Zevulun Orlev (Habayit Hayehudi) was interviewed on an Israeli news show called London & Kirschenbaum about his proposal for a bill to legalize illegal settler outposts in the West Bank.

The private bill, which has been tabled due to the Prime Minister’s objection, would bar the state from demolishing and evacuating settler outposts in the West Bank that have been around for four years and have at least twenty families living in them.

One such outpost is Migron, which has been the center of controversy in the news in recent days as the government has once again demonstrated its pro-settler agenda. The Supreme Court has ruled the outpost must be demolished by March 2012, but Prime Minister Netanyahu has circumvented the decision by reaching an agreement with the settlers to move their illegal outpost two kilometers over and turn where they live now into a farm. Peace Now has an informative report on the Migron situation which can be found here.

So getting back to MK Orlev: In his interview, he defended the bill with the argument that (paraphrasing from the Hebrew): families who moved to the West Bank in good will and with government support cannot be evacuated from their homes because no civilized country in the world has a policy of house demolitions.

MK Orlev must therefore be unaware of his government’s deep-rooted policy of home demolitions, including the 200 house demolitions that took place in the West Bank and East Jerusalem in 2011 alone, as well as the demolitions that took place on Wednesday in Umm al Kheir, and the day before that, in Anata.

The Bedouin village of Umm al Kheir in Area C in the Southern West Bank has been suffering from repeated demolitions in recent months. The state claims that the Palestinians who bought the land as refugees following the war in 1948 do not have the rights to the land, even though they have been living there since the 1950s. In reality, the settlement of Carmel established in the 1980s is the reason for the demolition. Without moving these Palestinians out, the settlement cannot expand.

http://972mag.com/mk-on-settler-outposts-no-civilized-country-demolishes-homes/33947/

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I was listening to NPR in the car this morning on the way to do some shopping and they were talking about Migron....truthfully I had never heard of it until this then. One thing that was said that really stood out to me was that NPR called Migron terrible even by Israeli standards.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The city of Detroit has been demolishing homes. There is a large Muslim population there.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The city of Detroit has been demolishing homes. There is a large Muslim population there.

Link, please, so we can examine this comparison.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Link, please, so we can examine this comparison.

Both statements are factually correct, but completely unrelated. Get your sarcasm detector checked!

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Timeline

Both statements are factually correct, but completely unrelated. Get your sarcasm detector checked!

It was not sarcasm. They are destroying thousands of homes in Detroit and last I checked Detroit is located in a civilized country. The OP says "No civilized country destroys homes" That is wrong. We do it right here in this country.

There are a lot of Muslims in Detroit. I never said the two items were related, why would anyone connect the two?

Civilized countries DO destroy homes, the article is wrong.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

You got that right. We're living in one of those countries.

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

It was not sarcasm. They are destroying thousands of homes in Detroit and last I checked Detroit is located in a civilized country. The OP says "No civilized country destroys homes" That is wrong. We do it right here in this country.

There are a lot of Muslims in Detroit. I never said the two items were related, why would anyone connect the two?

Detroit is a country? It's civilized? Aren't most of the Muslims there in Dearborn?

Timeline

#1. Why are these homes in Detroit of which you speak being demolished ?

#2. Who owns the homes and the property on which the demolition is taking place ?

#3. Through what authority are homes being demolished ?

#4. After the demolition, are expelled Detroit families left to live in a tent without electricity, water or toilet facilities ?

Compare/contrast:

#1. Why are Palestinian homes in the West Bank being demolished ?

#2. Who owns these homes and the property on which the demolition is taking place ?

#3. Through what authority are Palestinian homes being demolished ?

#4. After the demolition, are expelled Palestinian families left to live in a tent without electricity, water or toilet facilities ?

and

#1. Why are illegal settler homes in the West Bank being demolished ?

#2. Who owns these homes and the property on which the demolition is taking place ?

#3. Through what authority are illegal settler homes being demolished ?

#4. After the demolition, are expelled settler families left to live in a tent without electricity, water or toilet facilities ?

"Civilized" is a somewhat subjective term.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Demolition the last resort for Ireland’s 19,000 houses in ghost estates

Eerie reminders of the Irish property boom still dot the landscape

ByANTOINETTE KELLY,IrishCentral.com Staff Writer

Published Friday, October 14, 2011, 9:21 AMUpdated Friday, October 14, 2011, 12:34 PM

See more:Irish Business news

Tweet<<$<

What to do with all the houses built during the Irish property boom that no one wants or can afford?

Demolishing the so-called ghost estates should be the 'last resort' for dealing with the issue of the thousands of partially finished developments dotting the country, Irish Housing Minister Willie Penrose told Business Week.

Since the last major survey was carried out less than 10 houses in three housing estates were demolished on safety grounds, Penrose told reporters in Dublin this week.

'There is no magic wand to resolve the problem of Ireland's unfinished housing estates,' he added.

The actual number of unfinished Irish housing estates has declined from 2,876 to 2,066, according to a survey released by the Housing Ministry this week. The number of complete and vacant houses now stands at 18,638 according to the report.

A further 17,872 houses are at various stages of construction and are unlikely to ever be completed.

READ MORE:

Year on year increase in number of ghost estates across Ireland

Irish Traveler at center of Dale Farm eviction owns Limerick ‘ghost estate’

Ghost estates may be bulldozed says NAMA

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Detroit is a country? It's civilized? Aren't most of the Muslims there in Dearborn?

Detroit is in a civilized country. The article is wrong

What do Muslims have to do with it?

Gary And Alla

Timeline

#1. Why are these homes in Detroit of which you speak being demolished ?

#2. Who owns the homes and the property on which the demolition is taking place ?

#3. Through what authority are homes being demolished ?

#4. After the demolition, are expelled Detroit families left to live in a tent without electricity, water or toilet facilities ?

Compare/contrast:

#1. Why are Palestinian homes in the West Bank being demolished ?

#3. Through what authority are Palestinian homes being demolished ?

#4. After the demolition, are expelled Palestinian families left to live in a tent without electricity, water or toilet facilities ?

and

#1. Why are illegal settler homes in the West Bank being demolished ?

#3. Through what authority are illegal settler homes being demolished ?

#4. After the demolition, are expelled settler families left to live in a tent without electricity, water or toilet facilities ?

"Civilized" is a somewhat subjective term.

Who cares? The article is wrong. The article should describe the circumstances and make the comparisons, if it does not it is simply propoganda

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Who cares? The article is wrong. The article should describe the circumstances and make the comparisons, if it does not it is simply propoganda

You're incorrect. The article itself does not make the claim; it reports on the Israeli MK who makes the claim that civilized countries (he means Israel) don't demolish homes.

The article quotes him, and then goes on to make its point: that the statement is hypocritical in light of what Israel has done and continues to do to Palestinian homes.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Timeline

You're incorrect. The article itself does not make the claim; it reports on the Israeli MK who makes the claim that civilized countries (he means Israel) don't demolish homes.

The article quotes him, and then goes on to make its point: that the statement is hypocritical in light of what Israel has done and continues to do to Palestinian homes.

OK, then HE's wrong. Happy now? Never mind, silly question.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

In the US there is a planning practice by which the local planning authority rules an area to be'Blighted'. Once it is listed as such, they can force through new development in the area. This practice is the root cause of gentrification in America. One likely difference between this example and Palestine is that the original owners are compensated, though how fairly is a hot topic.

I would assume that this is the current practice in Detroit.