Pillo

Do i really need the letter of intent?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I was speaking to the family lawyer about the K-1 process and told her i used the example form given on this site, i told her all my fiancee had to do is sign it and return it to me. but she argued with me and said the only paper i should be sending my fiancee to sign is the g-325.

She also says i cant send out the I-129f packet until my fiancee gets her mexican passport, is this true?

I was hoping i can send out the I-129f while my fiancee waits for her passport.

2/24/12 : Mailed I-129f

2/27/12 : I-129f Received at Texas lockbox

2/29/12 : NOA1 text/e-mail alert received

3/2/12 : Money order is cashed by USCIS

3/5/12 : NOA1 hardcopy

7/6/12 : NOA2 Text & email

8/20/12 : Invitation letter received

9/6/12 : Interview!

6Ui7m8.png

Your lawyer doesn't know what she's talking about.

The letter of intent requirement comes right from the I-129F instructions:

B. Provide original statements from you and your fiancé(e) whom you plan to marry within 90 days of his or her admission, and copies of any evidence you wish to submit to establish your mutual intent

There's also no requirement that the beneficiary has a passport at the time of I-129F submission. She'll just need to have it by the time the petition's approved so she can prepare for the interview and medical.

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

For over 6 years now, in consideration of the idea of immigration, I've only heard about 5% or less of any that amount to a good, positive experience for the client/petitioner.

Probably because it's a very low-end (income) item for the attorneys.

They've got lots of other things to do that generate more cash.

jus my thoughts,...

07/27/2011...........NOA1 received.

12/05/2011...........RFE received.

12/13/2011...........RFE response sent.

12/16/2011...........RFE RESPONSE received by Vermont S.C.

12/22/2011...........Teased by a text-message from uscis, saying they have received my response to the RFE.

12/30/2011...........LA VISA APROVADOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

01/12/2012...........Case Sent To Bogota Colombia, from the National Visa Center.

02/09/2012...........Schedule Interview.

03/23/2012...........Interview (to take place then)!

04/07/2012...........Arrived in USA.

07/01/2012...........MARRIED!

What next?

.......How the days DO slip away!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I was speaking to the family lawyer about the K-1 process and told her i used the example form given on this site, i told her all my fiancee had to do is sign it and return it to me. but she argued with me and said the only paper i should be sending my fiancee to sign is the g-325.

She also says i cant send out the I-129f packet until my fiancee gets her mexican passport, is this true?

Yes, you need a letter of intent from both of you. You can also send off the I-129F petition even if your fiancee doesn't have her passport yet. It isn't needed at this point, and she will have a few months of waiting time in order to get it before the K-1 interview in Juarez.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You need to submit a letter of intent both you and your fiancee with original signature, if you won't then expect to receive an rfe upon your case. Submitting of k1 packet with out passport is just okey but she should have her passport during interview and medical because that is the number 1 requirement :thumbs: goodluck!

Edited by sheenchen

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Lawyer is incorrect on both counts (and clearly unfamiliar with immigration procedures and requirements).

Letter of intent of both parties is required when filing the I-129F petition. If you were to not include the intent letter, the result at best, would be that you receive an RFE for it. The worst result if you were to not include the intent letter, the petition will be outright denied for failure to include required information.

Your fiancee needs a passport for when she has her interview, she does not need it for you to file the petition.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Read the interview with the director of the VSC.

"Do you need a lawyer?"

"For what?"

Follow every instruction you have for the process and read this site. That's all you need.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

... and thus the reason why there is the saying: "500 at the bottom of the ocean is just a good start".

Totally useless and false information - from the lawyer.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thank you guys, this is why i love this site.

I never planed on getting a lawyer for this, but my family tried to help me out by getting me an appointment with them.

Good to know i wont need that lawyer.

2/24/12 : Mailed I-129f

2/27/12 : I-129f Received at Texas lockbox

2/29/12 : NOA1 text/e-mail alert received

3/2/12 : Money order is cashed by USCIS

3/5/12 : NOA1 hardcopy

7/6/12 : NOA2 Text & email

8/20/12 : Invitation letter received

9/6/12 : Interview!

6Ui7m8.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

We did not submit a letter of intent with our paperwork and it was fine. We turned one in at the interview.

K-1 Visa
04-29-2011: I-129F Sent
05-05-2011: I-129F NOA1
07-18-2011: I-129F NOA2
08-08-2011: NVC Received
08-09-2011: NVC Left
08-10-2011: Consulate Received
08-26-2011: Consulate mailed Packet 3 (invitation letter)
09-01-2011: Packet 3 (invitation letter) Received in US
09-10-2011: Packet 3 (invitation letter) Received in Mexico
09-22-2011: Interview: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10-04-2011: DHL Waybill number appears in the afternoon
10-05-2011: Picked up visa from DHL office
11-08-2011: POE Houston, Texas
11-19-2011: Married!

AOS
12-06-2011: Applied for Social Security Number
12-08-2011: AOS package sent (I-485, I-765, I-131, and supporting docs)
12-12-2011: Received Social Security Number and card in the mail
12-20-2011: Received NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-131
01-06-2012: Completed ASC appointment
02-02-2012: Received appointment notice for AOS interview on March 1, 2012
03-01-2012: Green card interview: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-10-2012: Green card received

ROC

12-27-2013: I-751 Sent

01-02-2014: Received NOA1 for I-751

01-24-2014: Completed ASC appointment

04-01-2014: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (no interview)

CITIZENSHIP

11-14-2016: N-400 Sent

05-19-2017: Naturalization interview:  APPROVED!!!!!!!

06-28-2017: Citizenship ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Follow K1 Guide and send Letter of Intent with I-129F and take updated ones (dated following NOA2) to interview. Then you've got it covered.

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Your lawyer doesn't know what she's talking about.

The letter of intent requirement comes right from the I-129F instructions:

B. Provide original statements from you and your fiancé(e) whom you plan to marry within 90 days of his or her admission, and copies of any evidence you wish to submit to establish your mutual intent

There's also no requirement that the beneficiary has a passport at the time of I-129F submission. She'll just need to have it by the time the petition's approved so she can prepare for the interview and medical.

:thumbs:

“The moon is at her full, and riding high, floods the calm fields with light. The airs that hover in the summer sky are all asleep tonight.” ~William C. Bryant

Click HERE for our complete K-1 visa journey timeline.

Happily Married: December 1, 2012

AOS Journey:
Filing Date: 4/15/2013

NOA1: 4/23/2013

Received RFE: 5/13/2013 (We forgot to include proof of citizenship of co-sponsor)

Mailed our response to the RFE: 5/15/2013 (We sent the co-sponsor's U.S. birth certificate)

Biometrics Appointment: 5/20/13

EAD: arrived 6/24/13

AOS: APPROVED! No interview! Approval (NOA-1 letter)Date: 9/24/2013

2 year conditional green card received 09/2013.

10 year permanent residency approved 2016.

<3 Baby girl born February 2015 <3

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

For over 6 years now, in consideration of the idea of immigration, I've only heard about 5% or less of any that amount to a good, positive experience for the client/petitioner.

jus my thoughts,...

Maybe family based immigration is low-end. I assure you that business based immigration generates LOTS of cash

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Get a lawyer with a clue.

You need the letter of intent and your fiancee will need a passport for the visa interview, but not before.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

jus my thoughts,...

I suspect it is because the visa process is not a legal process, it is not "lawyer work" You are filling out a form with personal information. I woul dhave to figure the attorneys doing it fall into the relative category of "Mall Security" vs. SWAT Team. Why would an attorney choose low end legal work? Not enough "slip and falls" to go around?

Like a lot of professionals, so called professionsals, they think they are supposed to know everything and feel oblgiated to give an answer...make one up if needed. Rather than say "Let's read the instructions, shall we?" Of course anyone reading the instructions will instantly realize they do not need an attorney

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.