k1crosser

Marital problems with conditional green card

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would not trust what that lawyer is saying. If she gets the divorce done with that in it, immigration will definitely look at it in a different light then a no fault divorce. What if she has also called and made a complaint with immigration, saying all kinds of things to them whether she has proof or not if you leave that on your papers may back up her claim of abuse. Then it could very well affect you ROC. I wouldn't put it past her lawyer to try every trick up his sleeves to try and get you out of the US and her out of the affidavit of support. She is hoping you will not be able to fight her, and she gets rid of you and any tied or responsibility she has. You really need to fight this.

Totally agree. Just felt like mentioning that point. Either way though, this will be fought. The entire situation is foul.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Alright, just heard back from my wife after she spoke with her attorney. She wants to claim "mental cruelty" because it'll end the divorce in 1 month. If we claim irreconcilable differences, we have to wait 6 months from no longer living together. Essentially, she wants to claim "mental cruelty" to help get herself out of her marriage to me sooner, which is ironic considering her physical attacks on me. Since I'm leaving this week, I guess the 6 months would start at that point. This gets more silly by the moment.

Edited by k1crosser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Alright, just heard back from my wife after she spoke with her attorney. She wants to claim "mental cruelty" because it'll end the divorce in 1 month. If we claim irreconcilable differences, we have to wait 6 months from no longer living together. Essentially, she wants to claim "mental cruelty" to help get herself out of her marriage to me sooner, which is ironic considering her physical attacks on me. Since I'm leaving this week, I guess the 6 months would start at that point. This gets more silly by the moment.

Tell her fine if she wants it over quick then YOU will claim mental cruelty against HER. She'll change her tune when her character is at risk.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.