Sign in to follow this  
BesosforMexico

Time from interview until Visa is actually in hand, ready to cross

11 posts in this topic

I want to be with my fiance when he is flying in to the country for the first time. He has never flown before and also will be flying into the Atlanta airport. I am sure, knowing my fiance, that without me there he will be lost in Atlanta and surely miss his flight.

How much time would you take off from work in order to guarantee he will be able to come back with me? I know some consulates give the visa the same day, but from what my lawyer has told me... he will be most likely leaving them his passport, and receiving it in the mail.

Just wondering how long I should plan to be in mexico waiting....

Also my lawyer mentioned that they may have an expedited service for mailing it back to him. Any idea if this is true? I contacted his consulate but have not received a reply.

10/20/2011 - Submitted I-129f to CSC

10/22/2011 - CSC Received our packet

10/24/2011 - NOA1

10/28/2011 - Touched

2/23/2012 - 2/28/2012 Trip to Mexico

2/27/2012 - NOA2

3/5/2012 - NVC received our packet

3/6/2012 - NVC forwarded packet to consulate

3/8/2012 - Received by consulate

3/23/2012 - Packet sent by consulate

4/16/2012 - Medical and Finger printing scheduled

4/17/2012 - Interview

I want to be with my fiance when he is flying in to the country for the first time. He has never flown before and also will be flying into the Atlanta airport. I am sure, knowing my fiance, that without me there he will be lost in Atlanta and surely miss his flight.

How much time would you take off from work in order to guarantee he will be able to come back with me? I know some consulates give the visa the same day, but from what my lawyer has told me... he will be most likely leaving them his passport, and receiving it in the mail.

Also my lawyer mentioned that they may have an expedited service for mailing it back to him. Any idea if this is true? I contacted his consulate but have not received a reply.

Why not just wait until he actually has the visa in hand, go to Mexico and fly back with him. The visa is valid for 6 months--usually, check it to make certain when he receives it. My wife had to go thru the process of getting permission to leave her country. That took 2 months. So she did not travel unitl the 3rd month of validity of the visa. It was issued in September, good until March, and used in December. I know after the long process of waiting for the visa you want to be together, but things can happen and you could go to Mexico and run out of time before he gets his visa. Here on VJ we always recommend to not make concrete plans until the visa, GC, or other required document is actually in your hands as anything can happen until then. For us in Kazakhstan, she was approved and received the visa two days later, but I have found that the Embassy in Almaty is run more efficiently that most in the world.

Good luck,

Dave

Thanks for your reply....I considered waiting by patience is not my thing. :)

Originally the plan was to fly down to go to the interview but there have been several current events to change my mind of going mainland to wait for his interview and be by myself while waiting. I don't want to do anything risky.

Also I go to visit him in mexico every month and was planning to just extend my normal visit in order to be there for the process. However I think you are right. I should probably fly down after he receives it and bring him back right away.

10/24/2011 - NOA1

10/28/2011 - Touched

2/27/2012 - NOA2

4/17/2012 - Interview

My other half is nervous about flying, too, but he'd rather we have the money in our pockets instead of paying for another round trip ticket.

If you can get a direct flight at all, this would be a loving gesture, and most likely less expensive than two tickets. If I lived in Garden City Kansas, I would be willing to drive to Dallas (or any other major hub with a large international airport) to pick up my other half so that he could have the decreased stress of a direct flight. I know this isn't always possible from many places around the world, but since I am able to do this for my beloved, I absolutely will. (Being considerate when you can and don't have to be is, of course, one of the secrets to successful marriages.:) )

Here's a list of direct flights from Cozumel (I think this is where y'all are coming from, right?):

Atlanta, GA 2h 56m Delta

Charlotte, NC 3h 9m US Airways

Chicago, IL 3h 42m American

Dallas, TX 2h 30m American

Denver, CO 3h 45m Frontier

Houston, TX 2h 21m Continental

Minneapolis, MN 3h 59m Delta, Sun Country

Montreal, Canada 4h 47m Sunwing, Air Canada

Toronto, Canada

(For anyone who thinks it is easy-peasy to deal with being rerouted and getting the run-around, try seeing this from the perspective of someone who is already nervous like crazy and then may not communicate the best and then is getting more tired and more exhausted and... On my first trip to South America, the 3rd leg got rerouted--it was a nightmare and the trip ended up taking about 28 hours-no sleep, pseudofood, and I was very physically ill upon arrival. )

EDITED TO ADD:

I didn't realize it was so easy that you are seeing each other so often. That is outstanding! Your plan to bring him back with you is the absolute best, IMHO. I can't justify that at 850$ a pop for me plus I can't get any more time off work.

Edited by EminTX

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

I completely agree that a direct flight would be easiest. I have already invested so much into the visa process and to the trips to visit so as far as money is concerned I would rather pay for a ticket to fly down and be with him the whole time instead of flying him somewhere alone. Cozumels airport is small and I'm sure he could navigate getting on the plane, but even just navigating off the plane through customs and immigration and luggage to get to me would be a challenge. :)

I am SO impatient, and even just waiting for him at the airport would kill me. Haha.

10/24/2011 - NOA1

10/28/2011 - Touched

2/27/2012 - NOA2

4/17/2012 - Interview

We filed for a CR-1 visa, so I'm not sure if the timeframe is any different, but my wife had her interview in Juarez on a Tuesday morning. Her visa was in her hometown of Tijuana and in her hands on Thursday morning, two days later.

DHL was lightning-fast in getting it to her, but your mileage may vary. We read on the consulate's website that it could take up to 3 weeks for the visa to process. At the interview, my wife was told she should have her visa within 10 days. She got it in 2.

So, I would have your fiance choose to get his visa delivered to his hometown, and head home after his interview. Then, a few days later, you fly down to join him. Visit for a while, get the visa, and bring him home with you. :D

Congratulations!

7 Mar 2011 - Mailed the I-130 package

12 Nov 2011 - Became a U.S. resident (+250 days)

18 Sep 2017 - Sworn in as a U.S. citizen (+2137 days)

Thank you Dan, that was very helpful

10/24/2011 - NOA1

10/28/2011 - Touched

2/27/2012 - NOA2

4/17/2012 - Interview

It won't come in the mail. You will pick it up from DHL when it is ready. It can take 2-3 days to a week or more. Read the reviews to get a better idea of the average time it takes: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Mexico&cty=&dfilter=5

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

My fiancee never went on a plane or anything like the K-1 process. She was scared. I think she would be have been lost going through the whole process. Also, there are many people who are out to trick people.

I would recommend you take a pre-honeymoon. Join your future spouse in a mini-vacation. You can provide comfort and company to each other. The interview process takes a few days. Juarez Consulate does not give the visa on the same day. The interviewer said up to 10 days. It took 2 days after the interview to get my fiancee's visa. We got to Juarez on Sunday, Monday: Medical exam and biometric, Tuesday: interview, Wednesday: waited, Thursday: received visa and Friday: crossed the border at El Paso and off to the airport.

If the visa is approved, the Consulate will keep his passport and attach the visa to it. If you wait in Juarez, you can pick up the visa at the DHL office. This is the fastest way. The other option is to have it sent to his nearest DHL office by his home.

Or you can wait until the visa is in hand to make travel plans.

I hope this helps. :)

My fiancee never went on a plane or anything like the K-1 process. She was scared. I think she would be have been lost going through the whole process. Also, there are many people who are out to trick people.

I would recommend you take a pre-honeymoon. Join your future spouse in a mini-vacation. You can provide comfort and company to each other. The interview process takes a few days. Juarez Consulate does not give the visa on the same day. The interviewer said up to 10 days. It took 2 days after the interview to get my fiancee's visa. We got to Juarez on Sunday, Monday: Medical exam and biometric, Tuesday: interview, Wednesday: waited, Thursday: received visa and Friday: crossed the border at El Paso and off to the airport.

If the visa is approved, the Consulate will keep his passport and attach the visa to it. If you wait in Juarez, you can pick up the visa at the DHL office. This is the fastest way. The other option is to have it sent to his nearest DHL office by his home.

Or you can wait until the visa is in hand to make travel plans.

I hope this helps. :)

This, as all of the other great responses I have gotten on Visa Journey has been GREAT and very helpful. I have been on other sites before where members would get mad at the newbies who posted questions that had been discussed x amount of days before.... but honestly my main complication with the entire visa process is just the time it all takes. I REALLY appreciate the great, helpful, informative answers you all have been giving me.

10/24/2011 - NOA1

10/28/2011 - Touched

2/27/2012 - NOA2

4/17/2012 - Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.