thaigift

Can my fiancee be considered a dependent?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My questions are:

Can I claim my wife as a dependent on my taxes for 2011?

Can we file jointly without her having an income?

Some background information/story.

I had been living in Thailand with my then fiancee for three years. I came back to the USA in January 2011 so I could have some income to show for our K1. While we were apart, I sent money to her in Thailand to support her while she was working. After 8 months apart she came to the USA in September 2011 and we got married shortly after in October 2011. Since she came over on a K1 she cannot work and we are waiting for my W-2s to come so I can fill out the Affidavit of Support, Work Authorization etc. Given that information, can I claim her as a dependent on my taxes since I had been sending money to Thailand and she has been living off of my income since arriving in September? I feel as though I can because she cannot support herself without my income. I just want to have any opinions/comments/suggestions before I go see a tax consultant if necessary! If you do say yes/no, please have some references so I can check them out myself!

Thank you very much, all comments are appreciated!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My questions are:

Can I claim my wife as a dependent on my taxes for 2011?

Can we file jointly without her having an income?

Some background information/story.

I had been living in Thailand with my then fiancee for three years. I came back to the USA in January 2011 so I could have some income to show for our K1. While we were apart, I sent money to her in Thailand to support her while she was working. After 8 months apart she came to the USA in September 2011 and we got married shortly after in October 2011. Since she came over on a K1 she cannot work and we are waiting for my W-2s to come so I can fill out the Affidavit of Support, Work Authorization etc. Given that information, can I claim her as a dependent on my taxes since I had been sending money to Thailand and she has been living off of my income since arriving in September? I feel as though I can because she cannot support herself without my income. I just want to have any opinions/comments/suggestions before I go see a tax consultant if necessary! If you do say yes/no, please have some references so I can check them out myself!

Thank you very much, all comments are appreciated!

You can't add her as a dependent... But you can file a joint return and she will get the exemption.. her having a job is not relevant.. She is here, you were married on Dec 31st..

Edit: I did not see that you had not filed AOS yet.. I don't know that piece of it..

Edited by OnMyWayID

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

If you were married as of 12/31/2011, I assume you could file as Married-Filing Jointly.

Under IRS law, you are considered married for the full year if you are married as of 12/31.

Oh, yes, I see they are married now. As you were married by the last day of the year, you can file a joint tax return for 2011. She is your family member, in fact.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.