웃

Food stamps a necessary lifeline

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The problem is the people who abuse the system. As they say, one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel (I know there's more than one rotten apple!). I, like Amby, know people who get food stamps but also work. It's mostly because their income alone isn't enough to suffice feeding themselves and their children and paying the bills. I see more and more cases of husbands/fathers running off and leaving the woman to fend for herself and kids around here. It's a sad trend.

Then there's those people who abuse it. I've always wondered how the heck they were able to get away with that. No one ever checks up on these people! :wacko:

So how many out of 46 million on food stamps actually need them to feed themselves?

And by "need", I mean "would starve without".

Edited by mawilson
biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

So how many out of 46 million on food stamps actually need them to feed themselves?

It's pretty common to be completely broke and in debt up to your eyeballs.

You may not know what it's like to have nothing but lint in your pocket, rent due the following week, and a couple kids to feed but it's very common.

Literally kids would be going without dinner without this great program of socialized food. good.gif

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

They might not starve, they might just wind up homeless. Choosing between keeping a roof over your head & groceries is not pleasant. I've unfortunately been in that predicament once. I had family to help me. Some don't.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Timeline

They might not starve, they might just wind up homeless. Choosing between keeping a roof over your head & groceries is not pleasant. I've unfortunately been in that predicament once. I had family to help me. Some don't.

Sure, but how many are in this kind of predicament? If I had to guess, I'd say a lot less than 46 million.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

Literally kids would be going without dinner without this great program of socialized food. good.gif

A day without McDonalds might not be such a bad thing.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Sure, but how many are in this kind of predicament? If I had to guess, I'd say a lot less than 46 million.

How much does the program cost?

"In fiscal year 2011, the federal government spent about $78 billion on SNAP."

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=2226

So we spend $700 billion on policing other countries but only $78 billion on feeding our poor.

If there is a place to cut I'm pretty sure it shouldn't start with socialized food.

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Timeline

So we spend $700 billion on policing other countries but only $78 billion on feeding our poor.

If we're going to feed them, let's feed them healthy stuff. No food stamps, no debit cards, no soda or fast food.

A shipment of fresh vegetables every day - take it or leave it.

Filed: Timeline

I don't know any personally but my friend works in the school system in Cleveland as an interventionist. She sees kids in a daily basis who only get food when they're at school and never at home. Part of her job is to help these kids.

eta: I don't know for sure if my one friend's kids would starve without the food stamps, but I assume they would not be eating 3 meals a day without it.

Edited by Amby

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I just started a new position where I work with seniors. You would be SHOCKED at the number of seniors who get food stamps. That said, the average amount I see per month is $7. That's right - $7 per month. Our program provides a hot meal 3 times a week with a voluntary suggested donation of $2 per day [3+oz protein, 2 vegs, 1 fruit, 1 starch, milk or water]. Compared with how much food $2 would buy today [assuming they were going for variety and not just ramen], it's a heck of a deal. For seniors whose medications, oil for heat, electricity to stay cool in the summer, taxes etc eat straight through their pensions/savings/ss - $7/month would get them ramen [5/$1] as their meals for the month. Every meal. Or 2 gallons of milk for the whole month. Or 5 lbs of potatoes and a loaf of bread.

Now, on the flip side, our local schools provide breakfast and lunch for title 1 kids. Girls and Boys Club of America provides dinner during their after school program. All the parents need to handle is weekend food and evening snacks during the school year - but WITHOUT fail, I know families on my own street that are out of SNAP funds around the 25th. And they are getting $275+ a month for a family of 3 plus WIC [an infant, a 6 year old, and the mom]. How on earth does this work? I hate to say it but I honestly think the demise of home economics classes factored into this equation. The first rolls around and everything they were hungry for ends up being purchased - regardless of price - because they were flat out hungry. Not starving, but hungry. This family would sit on their front porch and list allllllll the stuff they wanted to buy as soon as the 1st rolled around. And, they would. Nevermind the dietary craziness of it ["juice" is not the gallon sized red sugar water sold next to the milk], but high cost prepared food that could be made at home [the mom didn't work] for a fraction of the cost!

There should be cooking and budgeting classes as part of the food stamp or WIC programs.