evergreen

Got the Visa, Back in the U.S.

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
If I am not mistaken, they are married, and the couple are both allowed into the interview at Montreal. On the day of my interview, there were quite a few nervous couples there. :) Fiances, I am not sure about that. I think they are allowed into the building, but into the interview itself, but I would call the consulate and ask them directly for confirmation. Keep asking!

Hi everyone, I am the "Bruce" half of the "Karly and Bruce" team here. :)

What a great, full of needed info site this is. :thumbs:

And to clarify, as there does seem to be some confusion here, I am the older one in the relationship, and the American, Karly is the younger one, and Canadian. (L)

So, a quick question, are there any posters here who were not married, going through the Montreal Consulate for a K-1 Fiance Visa? Was the fiance' allowed in the interview room? I am going to call tomorrow regardless to clarify, but was curious as to the experience of the members here.

Thank you. :)

Bruce

Timeline

From the consular website:

http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/content/co...=securitynotice

Please note the following persons may accompany a visa applicant during Consular-related visits:

* Interpreter: Applicants may bring ONE interpreter if they do not speak English well enough to participate in an interview.

* Special Needs Visitors: Applicants may bring ONE person to help if they are elderly, disabled, or if the applicant is a minor child applying for a visa.

* Attorney: An attorney may accompany client(s) applying for a visa.

* U.S. Citizens: One American citizen may accompany an applicant.

Due to waiting room size, the large volume of applicants and the time required to screen consular clients, other accompanying persons cannot be admitted to the waiting room. Drivers, friends, extra relatives must wait outside or return to meet the applicant after the interview has been completed.

So yeah, you can come if you want. Not sure if you'd want to be in the interview room, 'cause it's teeny weeny! ;) But I'd double check with them to make sure you can be part of the actual interview....and let us know what you find out! :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Timeline

For those who asked.... yes, your fiancé(e) is allowed in the interview room with you. Mine came with me and it took a lot of the pressure off. They are just not allowed back in when you return to pick up your visa. We also received our visa on the same day, though that is not the norm.

iagree.gif

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
For those who asked.... yes, your fiancé(e) is allowed in the interview room with you. Mine came with me and it took a lot of the pressure off. They are just not allowed back in when you return to pick up your visa. We also received our visa on the same day, though that is not the norm.

Really.. they let me in when my the fiancee picked up her visa..

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Really.. they let me in when my the fiancee picked up her visa..

I can't tell by your information when and where your fiancée's interview was so it's possible things have changed since then. In Montreal on May 11, 2006 they were definitely not allowed back into the Consulate.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Timeline
In Montreal on May 11, 2006 they were definitely not allowed back into the Consulate.

Not that it's that big of a deal, but do you know if there's a reason why they're not allowed back in for the visa pick up?

In Montreal on May 11, 2006 they were definitely not allowed back into the Consulate.

Not that it's that big of a deal, but do you know if there's a reason why they're not allowed back in for the visa pick up?

I believe it's for security reasons. They schedule visa pickups (normally) when everyone else is gone, so there is very limited staff on that floor.

iagree.gif

Timeline
But I'd double check with them to make sure you can be part of the actual interview....and let us know what you find out! :)

Bruce just got off the phone with the Consulate (in Montreal) and he was told he's allowed in the interviewing room. The girl told him there's no problem at all with that happening. *sigh of relief* :D

I believe it's for security reasons. They schedule visa pickups (normally) when everyone else is gone, so there is very limited staff on that floor.

That makes sense.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hints I would suggest from my interview experience:

1. Getting to the embassy early doesn't do you any good if you don't line up at the window that passes out "numbers" in the same order that you arrived at the embassy. You may be standing outside at 7am while another person comes in at 8am or even later - and the "numbers" window (in our case window 4) does not open until 8:30am. It's whoever is first in line at that window that is seen first, regardless of who arrived at the front door first.

2. Even consulate employees do not appear to be aware of many of the rules, laws, and directions on visa forms. Have your documents organized and keep any and all instructions in the event that they ask for documents that are not required or refuse to accept documents that meet standards. (In our case they insisted that we must have three years of tax returns, when only the most recent year was actually required).

*Although we brought original documents and three copies of each, the consulate did take some of our original documents, including my W2 and the original letter from my employer. They returned our original marriage certificate and birth certificates, but kept other originals including the police report.

3. Stay somewhere close to the embassy to make it easy to leave and come back for your visa, or bring the prepaid mailing envelope if you don't mind waiting for it to be sent to you.

4. Bring change for the snack/drink machine.

5. The payment window accepts U.S. and Canadian currency as well as credit cards, but not all U.S. credit/debit cards seem to work in Canada. There is a cash machine in the same building as the consulate, but you have to exit the consulate and go back through security if you leave.

6. They seem very selective about who can enter with you. It must be an attorney/representative, interpreter, or one U.S. citizen. It cannot be a roommate, parent, or relative (unless they are one of the former "allowed" as listed). Thus, a U.S. spouse or fiance would be allowed to enter with you. When we were there, an elderly Indian woman was not allowed to bring her daughter or husband in with her, and she seemed confused and afraid.

7. There is really no where to ask general questions - no information desk - so you have to really pay attention and keep up with what point you are at and where you go next.

8. The interview itself (at least in our case) is nothing compared to all the hell in the year before! I doubt that they look at even 5% of the documents you bring with you, if that. You gotta have 'em, just in case - and have them organized and easily accessible - just in case, but mainly, don't sweat the interview.

9. We had no problems crossing the border once they saw the actual visa. Before that the border patrol officer was snippy and interrogating as usual.

10. Now I gotta start working on the next step!

:thumbs:

Edited by evergreen

Approval Dates:

I130 Approved (NOA2) 7/20/06 (144 Days)

I129 Approved (NOA2) 8/24/06 (41 Days)

Documents we have so far:

Criminal/police record check.

Immunization records/medical history (including negative Tb, HIV, syphyllis, etc).

Chest x-ray.

His birth certificate (long form).

Our marriage certificate.

My divorce decree.

Our passports.

Wedding photos, cards, credit cards, health insurance, evidence of legitimate marriage.

Notarized I-134 and supporting documents.

Notarized I-184 and supporting documents.

Five additional passport photos each.

Questions: See "Married on Visitor Visa"post

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Agree with #1 I stayed right by the counter and waited and went by the honor system. I believe there was 1 person ahead of me, and when the windo opened, I motioned for her to go first, but others behind me didnt care and just jumped in, lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.