doodlebug

Slightly sensitive Muslim topic re: Ramadan :) (ladies only please)

70 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Basically though it's not that it is not ok to fast when a woman has her period because she's unclean, but rather after a loss of blood, one is weak and since Allah has mercy on us we don't have to fast, though we do have to make it up.

I tend to think though that there are reasons we have no idea about that will be revealed some day.

Not fasting I understand. But I can't wrap my head around not touching the Quran. As though God is somehow offended by women while they are menstruating, while he was the one who created them and menstruation. Is there some accepted reasoning behind why this is so?

I suppose the idea that there are reasons that we do not know would explain a lot of things.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

This is true but it is also because we are unclean. That is the reason we cannot pray or touch Quran during our cycle.

I'm curious about something. I'm wondering how you ladies feel about the implication that you are somehow "unclean" during your period. I know that personally I would have a hard time accepting that, given that it is such a natural and God-given gift. I don't mean to offend, I'm just trying to understand.

Well I used to wonder that myself until I read a few things that made me feel good about it.

First and foremost though, once I accepted that Allah is my God and that Muhammed, pbuh, is His messenger, I totally embraced all of Islam, much of which I didn't know but with the reasoning that who am I to want to understand that which He has proclaimed. There could be reasons far beyond the mere human intellect.

Basically though it's not that it is not ok to fast when a woman has her period because she's unclean, but rather after a loss of blood, one is weak and since Allah has mercy on us we don't have to fast, though we do have to make it up.

I tend to think though that there are reasons we have no idea about that will be revealed some day.

I think sometimes it is good to use your own ability to reason (which was given to us by God) to answer these types of things. It is, afterall, your personal relationship with God. Alternatively, read some of the opinions by scholars and make a decision with that information for yourself.

There is a difference of opinion amongst scholars about the permissibility of women to touch the Qur'an or recite the Qur'an while menstruating. It is certainly not an absolute that it is not permissible.

If you want to read Quran during your cycle you can always read it online. Alternatively you can read other books about Islam or hadith during your cycle.

I believe, personally, that it is wrong to touch the Quran during my cycle. But I agree that there are Islamic scholars who say otherwise. It just depends on who you agree with.

If you want to read Quran during your cycle you can always read it online. Alternatively you can read other books about Islam or hadith during your cycle.

I believe, personally, that it is wrong to touch the Quran during my cycle. But I agree that there are Islamic scholars who say otherwise. It just depends on who you agree with.

Just curious, how do you distinguish between reading it online and reading it online? Because of touch? If that is the case, can you touch your computer monitor?

I'm curious about something. I'm wondering how you ladies feel about the implication that you are somehow "unclean" during your period. I know that personally I would have a hard time accepting that, given that it is such a natural and God-given gift. I don't mean to offend, I'm just trying to understand.

]

Not to be gross, but it has to do with the body "excreting". Your body is to be clean and simply can't be considered so if this situation exists. It's not a judgement on female biology.

Timeline

]

Not to be gross, but it has to do with the body "excreting". Your body is to be clean and simply can't be considered so if this situation exists. It's not a judgement on female biology.

I guess it's something that's too ingrained in me to understand.

]

Sweat, rhinorrhea, galactorrhea, and watering eyes are technically excretions.

We also excrete in the bathroom during our fast in other ways but it isn't considered broken.

Haha...I don't physically touch the Quran but I read Quran online. I never read anywhere that you can't read Quran just that you can't touch it. I know it sounds weird. And yes..I can touch my computer monitor since it's not the Quran itself.

Just curious, how do you distinguish between reading it online and reading it online? Because of touch? If that is the case, can you touch your computer monitor?

Timeline

Jen - I do have a hard time accepting it. Honestly I do. I think "unclean" is the wrong word to be used in translation at least that's what my husband has said, but we can't come up with a better word. There are a lot of things that I am learning about and understanding and accepting but this is just not one of them. I don't want my husband to ever think of me as unclean. Also after I have our child I'm considered "unclean" for 40 days! 40 days!!!!! I've had a child and I've got news for the men out there - there is no bleeding or etc for 40 days after a child is born, if there were there would be some serious complications IMO.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

OMG! Amera... I just realized your little guy is due in only 14 weeks! Holy cow! That will be here before you know it....

Unclean, my patooti! If ya wash, ya gotta be clean :D

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

]

Sweat, rhinorrhea, galactorrhea, and watering eyes are technically excretions.

We also excrete in the bathroom during our fast in other ways but it isn't considered broken.

You ablute before prayer. The idea is to pray/come before Allah in a clean state. We all know if you so much as belch or break wind you must ablute again and start prayer over. One can't willfully stop menustration to pray and then resume after. That was what I mean. (Well, I mean if someone actually could, that would be cool and they could write books about it and become rich and famous I suppose.)

I am assuming the same philosophy applies to the handling of the Holy Quran. You are not in a physically "clean" state.

This is only my understanding. It was never taught to me in terms of "ew icky woman thing... don't fast, don't pray, don't touch the quran."

Edited by just_waiting

]

I guess it's something that's too ingrained in me to understand.

It is difficult for me, too. I hate to admit it, but it is these sorts of details that ostracize me from Islam, as much as I love and respect it. For me, loving my "excretions" is part of the ballgame.

Anyone ever read the book _The Red Tent_? This helped me a little with the whole "unclean/clean woman" dichotomy.

Jen - I do have a hard time accepting it. Honestly I do. I think "unclean" is the wrong word to be used in translation at least that's what my husband has said, but we can't come up with a better word. There are a lot of things that I am learning about and understanding and accepting but this is just not one of them. I don't want my husband to ever think of me as unclean. Also after I have our child I'm considered "unclean" for 40 days! 40 days!!!!! I've had a child and I've got news for the men out there - there is no bleeding or etc for 40 days after a child is born, if there were there would be some serious complications IMO.

This is what I mean. I think it is that as a feminist and a Westerner and blah blah blah I am hung up on the baggage associated with that word "unclean." Then again, I need to maybe differentiate between the Judeo-Christian connotation of that word (think original sin, woman-as-evil-vessel, etc and the Islamic meaning which is more technical and imperfect in translation, -as Amera stated- than oppressive).

Amera - quesion: Is the 40 days for sexual relations or something else? I know in Morocco that women are cloistered and taken care of for 40 days to "recover" (I also know that this exists in a lot of different cultures and interesting that it corresponds to our bio-medical standard of the 6-weeks post-partum). I am due in November, so I am thinking about these things too.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

I believe that this idea of being "unclean" when you have your period is based on a Hadith...which kind of makes sense because in the Prophet's time women with their periods probably were "unclean" since they didn't have the modern day accomidations that we have, such as tampons and daily showers. And since Islam draws heavily on the traditions of the Prophet, this ruling has been passed down.

Haha, when I told my mom about my Muslim Fiancee she told me that Muslim women are not allowed in the house when they have their period...she was like "Better make sure you'll be allowed to sleep indoors"...Where do people even hear this stuff to begin with???

03/09/07 - POE at JFK - Temp EAD given

03/13/07 - Married

AOS

04/20/07 - Package arrived in Chicago

04/26/07 - NOA1 for AOS and AP

05/08/07 - AP touched

05/22/07 - Biometrics

05/23/07 - RFE email notification for 485

05/29/07 - RFE received by mail - Request for medical exam

06/01/07 - Contacted congressman regarding RFE

06/08/07 - Case resumed processing

10/01/07 - Email Notice of Transfer to CSC

10/04/07 - Pending at CSC

11/09/07 - Green Card Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.