Henia

OMG is my husband/Algerians out of the loop or what?!?!

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Hmmm you're making me hungry for icecream! I've got two containers in the freezer at home..butter pecan and mint chocolate chip..yummy!

In Egypt the icecream is more like gelato. It was soo good! My favorite is manga. Oh how I miss manga icecream *tear*

Mmm I start to appreciate some good ol'American ice cream... mmm butter pecan... I want some!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Yeah the food is completly different. I mean arabic is a common language but not so much a common food. I remember when Hicham (SarahandHicham) got to the USA, we started talking about food and he also didn't know what Hummos was, I was so surprised. I wouldn't really consider Algeria an Arab country. I don't even think Algerian's consider themselves Arabs, or do they? Alot of Egyptions don't consider themselves arabs and the same goes for Moroccans.

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Timeline
Yeah the food is completly different. I mean arabic is a common language but not so much a common food. I remember when Hicham (SarahandHicham) got to the USA, we started talking about food and he also didn't know what Hummos was, I was so surprised. I wouldn't really consider Algeria an Arab country. I don't even think Algerian's consider themselves Arabs, or do they? Alot of Egyptions don't consider themselves arabs and the same goes for Moroccans.
Well Algerie has several groups, arabe being one of them...and as my husband is an arabe and since hummous (and others) are so common in Europe and USA I thought it is also common in NA. Who knew?

Holly when is your husband coming? Or is he already here and I missed something?

nope, not yet! he's coming after Ramadan... i ALMOST convinced him to come about half way through october, but then i said "you know what, stay in Algeria, because when it comes time for Eid my mac and cheese is not going to cut it...." so hopefully he'll be here either the last week of october or the very beginning of november.... :D

Timeline

Holly when is your husband coming? Or is he already here and I missed something?

nope, not yet! he's coming after Ramadan... i ALMOST convinced him to come about half way through october, but then i said "you know what, stay in Algeria, because when it comes time for Eid my mac and cheese is not going to cut it...." so hopefully he'll be here either the last week of october or the very beginning of november.... :D

Inchallah inchallah... happy dance for Holly :dance:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

my husband has also found this... Ramadan back home in Oran isn't as great as he remembers it. he's still happy to be home... and he'll still stay until the end to see family. but he's soooooooooo bored. he does, however, like being able to be lazy all da long and sleep as late as he wants and have his mom prepare dinner and pick up after him.... he did not have that in paris!!

jpaula, are you back in the states??

I am in the States. We finally have all of our paperwork in and should have an answer back--yes or no--in about six months so it is time to earn some money to prepare for a move. If he cannot get the visa we will have to find somewhere other then Algeria to live as we need to be able to work (and I have to be able to wander around by myself or I go crazy). (Aside: Any third country ideas?) So, here looking for a job. Yuck. I hate looking for work. But, I so miss working. I tell you, boredom is caustic. I sit in Algeria and I just think, if only people had things to DO. How do you change that?

I am trying to say something nice about Algerian food, but....right now I am just so glad to have Thai food and real ice cream! OK, I though of something. I miss the six month artichoke season. I love artichokes and Algeria is awash in them. And, I miss those fabulous dates.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
(Aside: Any third country ideas?)

It's our eventual plans (ie a decade or 2 from now) to move to the ME. If we don't move to Egypt, then we're looking at settling in the UAE. It has the creature comforts you're used from the US, and if you can get a decent job, you can live a comprable life.

It works best if you're both US citizens at the time of hire though. non gulf arabs are treated as second class citizens. We're working for my husband to get his CPA certification inshaAllah and citizenship, and then look for some international companies hiring over there.

Edited by rahma

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

And, I miss those fabulous dates. O snaps JPaula the dates went from 400 dinars to 200 in the first week of Ramadan... and i am planning to bring a load of dates...want some?

(Aside: Any third country ideas?)

It's our eventual plans (ie a decade or 2 from now) to move to the ME. If we don't move to Egypt, then we're looking at settling in the UAE. It has the creature comforts you're used from the US, and if you can get a decent job, you can live a comprable life.

It works best if you're both US citizens at the time of hire though. non gulf arabs are treated as second class citizens. We're working for my husband to get his CPA certification inshaAllah and citizenship, and then look for some international companies hiring over there.

Esalaam Rahma I am finding myself right in the same situation...should we live here or in the US? I love Algerie, but miss many of the conviences of the US. But most important (for me) is that is so easy to be Muslim here...not like in the US and Europe (where I have lived) so....hmmmm let's put on our thinkng caps on this one !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.