doodlebug

To those who married in Egypt

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well I don't care about that either but what I do care about is makin' darn sure that there's a clause in there that he can only have one wife. :P

And ok now that I said that I know that the door is wide open here. Where's that popcorn???

btw is there anything I can do, i.e. fill in some paperwork, now before we get married so I can just zip that k-3 app. along once I get the translated marriage certificate?

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Timeline

You can't file any paperwork until you're either married or engaged. Unfortunately there's no "wizzing" through the K-3 process. USCIS works at its own pace. What you can do is bring the I-130, I-129F, and two sets of the g325 with you to Egypt so you can both do them together. Also have him take two sets of passport style photos wearing different clothing. You'll need those to send in with both petitions.

Haha..I didn't have a clause written anywhere in my marriage contract. I felt it would cause problems between us as if I don't trust him which I do. I told him that if he ever wanted to marry another wife he could but I wouldn't be married to him anymore. Islamically speaking he would have to get your permission to marry another wife anyways. Besides it's not really a common practice in Egypt nowadays. I would worry more if the man was from Yemen, Saudia or any of the gulf countries.

Well I don't care about that either but what I do care about is makin' darn sure that there's a clause in there that he can only have one wife. :P

And ok now that I said that I know that the door is wide open here. Where's that popcorn???

btw is there anything I can do, i.e. fill in some paperwork, now before we get married so I can just zip that k-3 app. along once I get the translated marriage certificate?

Edited by moody

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Thanks. Just out of curiosity, do you know what the general school of thought Islamic-wise is in Cairo, i.e. are most following the hanafi way or a different way?

There are a few hanafis in Cairo, and many of those are students from other countries who have come to study at Al Azhar.

I'd venture to guess that Cairo is a mix of Shafi'i and Maliki, although most people probably just have their favorite sheikhs and wouldn't care one way or another.

And then you have my husband, who's set on reviving the dead zahari madhab and Ibn Hazm :lol: He's an individual for sure.

Don't feel like you need to learn all the intricacies of this right away for sure. It's something I still am exploring and probably will for several years.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

1. practice the 1000 yard death glare

2. buy and demonstrate proficiency with a chainsaw.

3. invest in ginsu knives

the subject will never arise ;)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
You can't file any paperwork until you're either married or engaged. Unfortunately there's no "wizzing" through the K-3 process. USCIS works at its own pace. What you can do is bring the I-130, I-129F, and two sets of the g325 with you to Egypt so you can both do them together. Also have him take two sets of passport style photos wearing different clothing. You'll need those to send in with both petitions.

He'll need those when we go to get married too right? That reminds me I keep forgetting to send my divorce decree to the Egyptian consulate in NYC. I'm gonna go leave myself a reminder right now. I swear once I hit 40 I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached to my neck!!!

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

He will need 5 passport pics for the marriage certificate as will you. He will need one pic for each of the g325 documents (not each copy though). Make sure he's wearing at least a different shirt in these pics because you will send in one with the I130 and one with the I129F. These will be filed within a couple months of each other. The pics for the USCIS petitions must have a white background.

Edited by moody

Timeline

Ok I'm officially confused.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what I need to do with my divorce decree. I've already sent it to the Secratary of State's office to get it legalized but now I'm at a standstill. Do I now send it to that place in Washington as the final step or do I sent it to the Egyptian consulate in NYC to legalize it and translate it? Anyone who's done this step have advice? :help:

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Authentification process for the divorce decree:

1. Divorce Decree has to be signed by:

a) Court Clerk (with seal)

B) Notary Public

2. Decree has to be authenticated by the Secretary of State where it was issued (State website will have a link with the address of the authentication office and their fee schedule)

3. Decree has to be authenticated (with seal) by the Department of State Authentication office. Requirements (with fees) included in the link below:

http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/

4. Decree has to be authenticated/notarized in the Egyptian Consulate. You may call them for the ways of payment for their fees. I have included a link to the Washington DC one below.

http://www.egyptembassy.us/

If I've missed something, someone holler please.

Timeline

B) Notary Public

2. Decree has to be authenticated by the Secretary of State where it was issued (State website will have a link with the address of the authentication office and their fee schedule)

3. Decree has to be authenticated (with seal) by the Department of State Authentication office. Requirements (with fees) included in the link below:

4. Decree has to be authenticated/notarized in the Egyptian Consulate. You may call them for the ways of payment for their fees. I have included a link to the Washington DC one below.

Ok so I've done 1 and 2 and you're saying I do #3 and 4 in that order or do I do #4 before #3? I'm so confuzzled. lol I thought that the State dept needed the translation.

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

B) Notary Public

Ok so I've done 1 and 2 and you're saying I do #3 and 4 in that order or do I do #4 before #3? I'm so confuzzled. lol I thought that the State dept needed the translation.

My understanding is they are done in order, but I really don't know for sure. If someone else out there has experience with this, I hope they speak up.

Timeline

bump

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

If you get it authenticated at the SOS and the State Dept. you're finished. You DO NOT have to send it to the Egyptian Embassy.

I sent mine to the SOS in Michigan then to the State Dept. It took about a month total. Oh..don't worry about getting it translated. The American consulate looks at it briefly. The Egyptians don't care to see it. If they do want to see it and ask for the translation..have your man slip them a few LE. That'll solve that problem ;) Worked for me!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.