kokofee2

2nd marriage while VAWA Petition Pending

63 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

H1-B denied, got married, wife pulled the plug on the AOS, filed for VAWA, that got denied so now you are in a second marriage and filing for AOS? Do I have this correct?

Yeah, this is not going to end well. And that's putting it lightly.

It will end well. Be positive. H1B was not approved because of cap. AOS did not go through because i was married to an abusive spouse who withdraw the petition. VAWA petition didn't approve because i did not gather sufficient evidence and i appealed now it's been pending forever. Met a beautiful and dynamic woman who brought some lights into my life. All that matters to me right now is that i have something going for me. We filed an AOS a 2 weeks ago. I'm looking forward to that. I've been through enough rough experience. It wasn't my fault that H1 was denied nor that crazy woman withdrew her petition and it's not as easy as you think to gather evidence of abuse especially if you never knew that your spouse will be abusive and that you will have to file VAWA. I never heard of VAWA before until the abuse got REALLY bad and had to really get out of it.

Edited by kokofee2

Working illegally is normally overlooked for spouses of USCs. But it is still illegal AND against the terms of VJ so nobody here will advise you that it's ok or that you should do it. Honestly, I'd avoid it if I were you. You already have a complicated case that is going to involve LOTS of questioning. No reason to add something else negative to your case.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Timeline

You should write a brief time line, some people like me have a hard time counting on their fingers.

Yeah, i will do that right now.

Working illegally is normally overlooked for spouses of USCs. But it is still illegal AND against the terms of VJ so nobody here will advise you that it's ok or that you should do it. Honestly, I'd avoid it if I were you. You already have a complicated case that is going to involve LOTS of questioning. No reason to add something else negative to your case.

Thanks for the advice. I really don't want to complicate my situation than it already is. I get it. Okay.

Timeline

"Then got married in November 2011 for new AOS"...... i guess i dont understand this last part you mentioned especially the last 3 words.

I meant filed a new adjustment of status from my second marriage to my wife.

Edited by kokofee2

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The H1b cap may have applied for that year, but there have been many subsequent years, the one for this year just went.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

I received an letter from USCIS early January 2010 letting me know that my I130 had been cancelled by by spouse and that i have 6 months to take care of my case else i will have to leave the country. The VAWA attorneys were not surprised telling me that they deal with lots of abusive US citizen spouses who do that (go in to withdraw the petition as a form of power or control). USCIS contacted me to let me know so we filed VAWA within six months but a month before the divorce was final.

Oh they sent you a letter?? did you get the letter at your wife address and was you still living there? how did you get the letter? Do you know how long ago your wife cancelled the petition?? being that you found out in January 2010?

So uscis does contact yall when the spouse withdraw the petition i wonder do they call u guys to? my husband said something about getting a call from somebody, i am going through the samething but in my case my husband wasn't abuse at all..he got down here in the USA and started running off with friends and started cheating on me, got busted, i got the evidence and everything and he turned around called the cops on me 4 days later and made up a lie saying i burnt him with an iron..then dropped the charges cuz the cops didn't believe because where he work at. In my case i was dealt with a bad hand and is really get fraud.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It will end well. Be positive. H1B was not approved because of cap. AOS did not go through because i was married to an abusive spouse who withdraw the petition. VAWA petition didn't approve because i did not gather sufficient evidence and i appealed now it's been pending forever. Met a beautiful and dynamic woman who brought some lights into my life. All that matters to me right now is that i have something going for me. We filed an AOS a 2 weeks ago. I'm looking forward to that. I've been through enough rough experience. It wasn't my fault that H1 was denied nor that crazy woman withdrew her petition and it's not as easy as you think to gather evidence of abuse especially if you never knew that your spouse will be abusive and that you will have to file VAWA. I never heard of VAWA before until the abuse got REALLY bad and had to really get out of it.

Your tale is well contructed but it is not how an immigration will view what has happened, they will see a person allowed in on a temporary status that has tried every trick in the book to stay longer. You tried a different visa type and when that didn't work , you married and when that didn't work you filed for abuse and when that didn't work you married again. Even if this marriage is 110% legit you are going to need an extremely good legal rep and you had best not even think of ignoring any other law even if 99% of people would be forgivien for it , you would be adding more proof that you don't care about immigration laws and think you can worm you way through this. The hard facts are I think there is less than a 30% chance of you staying in the US through the path you have shown. You will make you lawyer a rich man but you are heading for a 'relationship for immigration purposes' flag unless you are very very careful.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Oh they sent you a letter?? did you get the letter at your wife address and was you still living there? how did you get the letter? Do you know how long ago your wife cancelled the petition?? being that you found out in January 2010?

So uscis does contact yall when the spouse withdraw the petition i wonder do they call u guys to? my husband said something about getting a call from somebody, i am going through the samething but in my case my husband wasn't abuse at all..he got down here in the USA and started running off with friends and started cheating on me, got busted, i got the evidence and everything and he turned around called the cops on me 4 days later and made up a lie saying i burnt him with an iron..then dropped the charges cuz the cops didn't believe because where he work at. In my case i was dealt with a bad hand and is really get fraud.

Your husband is a psycho: that's what they do (psychopaths) they make you think that you're the abuser and they are the victims - that's exactly what happened in my case too. The problems is i didn't even understand what was going on because it just wasn't normal. Normal people does screw with your head, manipulate and distort your sense of reality. I'd to really educate myself about this kind of people that live amongst us after my divorce because i was really lost mentally. What do you mean by "In my case i was dealt with a bad hand and is really get fraud."????

I was mailed a letter. My attorneys changed my address and notified USCIS of the change. The letter was mailed to my new address not to my spouse's address. I never got any call.

Timeline

Your tale is well contructed but it is not how an immigration will view what has happened, they will see a person allowed in on a temporary status that has tried every trick in the book to stay longer. You tried a different visa type and when that didn't work , you married and when that didn't work you filed for abuse and when that didn't work you married again. Even if this marriage is 110% legit you are going to need an extremely good legal rep and you had best not even think of ignoring any other law even if 99% of people would be forgivien for it , you would be adding more proof that you don't care about immigration laws and think you can worm you way through this. The hard facts are I think there is less than a 30% chance of you staying in the US through the path you have shown. You will make you lawyer a rich man but you are heading for a 'relationship for immigration purposes' flag unless you are very very careful.

Hmm.... Will i be needing an attorney?

Timeline

I can't afford be worried. I'm confident because my marriage is legitimate and i can substantiate it. My path is not the greatest and i didn't tricks from a book. It's good to be aware of the view point you're presenting and to be well prepared. I have nothing to be afraid or worried. My immigration experience didn't go smooth as others might have. I've nothing to worry about. I'll take your advice to be very, very careful. I will wait till by EAD arrives and then i will work. Thanks for the perspective.

An attorney is probably not a bad idea, but at the same time an attorney cannot change the facts of your case. Given your financial situation, I would probably try to get a free consultation with an immigration attorney to get a professional perspective on the challenges you will be facing, but wait until after your interview to hire someone. If things do not go well and you get an RFE, NOID, or Stokes interview, hire an attorney then.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Timeline

An attorney is probably not a bad idea, but at the same time an attorney cannot change the facts of your case. Given your financial situation, I would probably try to get a free consultation with an immigration attorney to get a professional perspective on the challenges you will be facing, but wait until after your interview to hire someone. If things do not go well and you get an RFE, NOID, or Stokes interview, hire an attorney then.

Okay, i will do that. Hopefully I would have gotten my EAD by then so will be able to afford a competent attorney.

Filed: Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hey it sounds like you have complex situation and you need an attorney. As for picking up an under the table job that's your call. This is big stuff and do whatever you think you have to but understanding the law and consequences is key.

Good luck

Timeline

Met 2.18.11 (Was on B1 Visa I-94 expired 2.11.11)

Engaged 6.12.11

Married 7.12.11

I-485/I-130/I-765/I-131 Filed/Rec'd CHI 7.25.11 (Rec'd @ 165 days overstay)

Bio Appt 8.29.11

I-485 Rec'd Interview Appt. (Date of notice 9.12.11 / Date of Interview 10.14.2011)

I-765/I-131 Approved 9.16.11 / Card Received 9.24.11 (53 Days Processing Time)

Applied for SSN 9.28.11 / SSN Card Received 10.3.11 (5 Days Processing Time)

Approved in person I-485 Interview 10.14.11 (81 Days from start of process)

• 9 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hope it will end well..God Bless you:-)

Adjusting from B2,married to my U.S army husband:-)

March 17-married in Las Vegas
June 11-AOS sent
June 13-touched
June 15-NOA1
June 26-Notice for Biometric
June 29-RFE notice(2011 tax)
July 09-Biometric 1:00 pm at Buena Park,CA
July 11-RFE sent
July 12-Notice I-30 transferred from CSC to NBC
July 16-Response Review
July 20-email saying I-30 transferred to USCIS office
Aug 07-recieved email for interview (Sept 10,2012)
Au9 09-interview letter in the mail at Santa Ana@10:30am
Aug 15-EAD card production
Aug 23-EAD card in hand
Sept 10-Interview Day-APPROVED ON THE SPOT..thank You God:-)
Nov 6-After info pass and Service request finally it updated to DECISION.....
Nov 9-Card Production
Nov 15-Green card in hand:-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.