thetreble

Bad Timing? Passport Needed - Christmas Travel

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

hey guys!

So yesterday I went for my interview, passed and then took my oath all in the same day. I was not aware that the Newark, NJ office did same day oaths so I was a little caught off guard. I figured Id have my PR card through Decemeber so could travel.

I have holiday travel plans to leave in mid-December but now I have an issue of no passport. My resolve to this was that I was going to make an appointment with the NYC Passport Agency that issues same day passports. However, you need to show proof of travel. I am driving, not flying, so don't have an airline ticket. Its a personal visit, not business, so I have nothing from my employer. I'm disgruntled because I made a bunch of plans and was really looking forward to seeing my family. :help:

Any thoughts?

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

hey guys!

So yesterday I went for my interview, passed and then took my oath all in the same day. I was not aware that the Newark, NJ office did same day oaths so I was a little caught off guard. I figured Id have my PR card through Decemeber so could travel.

I have holiday travel plans to leave in mid-December but now I have an issue of no passport. My resolve to this was that I was going to make an appointment with the NYC Passport Agency that issues same day passports. However, you need to show proof of travel. I am driving, not flying, so don't have an airline ticket. Its a personal visit, not business, so I have nothing from my employer. I'm disgruntled because I made a bunch of plans and was really looking forward to seeing my family. :help:

Any thoughts?

thanks for posting this...i could end up in the same situation as you hehe

anyway, how about calling uscis about your predicament? i'm sure (more like i hope, really ) they have a solution to situations like this =)

I-129F, AOS, ROC

02-11-2008 Sent out I -129F in mail

02-13-2008 NOA 1

03-14-2008 NOA 2

04-07-2008 Medical exam passed

04-25-2008 Interview, visa aproved, no RFEs!

04-25-2008 Waiting for DELBROS/NSO

05-07-2008 Visa on hand ! Wow, less than 3 months! Thank you Lord!

05-26-2008 POE Detroit, no problems, thank God!

07-01-2008 Married 07-01-08, civil, just us w/ his parents

07-16-2008 Mailed out AOS package

07-19-2008 wedding ceremony

08-19-2008 biometrics appointment

08-25-2008 i-485 touched

09-23-2008 i-485 touched

09-30-2008 i-131 approval notice THANK YOU LORD!!!!

10-04-2008 Received my EAD

10-06-2008 Received my AP...yehey, i can go back to Phil for xmas!

11-14-2008 DMV driving test-passed! thank you Lord!

11-18-2008 Received RI driver's license

11-30-2008 Went home to PHILs for the holidays

12-21-2008 Church wedding!

01-08-2009 AOS Approved! thank you Lord! no interview required!

01-16-2009 Received GC in mail

09-02-2010 Sent out application for ROC

09-08-2010 Received NOA1

09-10-2010 Received Biometrics Notice

10-06-2010 Biometrics

12-06-2010 Approved! Thank you Lord God!

12-11-2010 Received NOA2 and 10-yr GC in the mail =)

N-400

10-03-2011 Sent N-400

10-07-2011 NOA1 date

10-25-2011 Biometrics

12-02-2011 Civics Test/Interview (passed)

04-09-2012 Oathtaking (got my little USA flag and souvenir photo!)

Matthew at 1yr

DSCF6924-2.jpg[/img]

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Just tell them your are driving to canada on such and such dates. I did the same thing last week. I went to the seattle passport office on the 23, told them thwart I was driving to canada on december third. Just received the passport yesterday. They are used to people doing that.

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Expedited service is running 2-3 weeks as of today. This may get you what you need in time depending on your travel date. Of course, it costs more and the 2-3 week estimate assumes overnight delivery (paid for by you) on both ends.

good luck

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Also since you are driving to Canada you can just use your Citizenship Certificate that you receieved it is an official document and allows you to cross the border. We did that with my sister, when we went to Mexico, we were also driving, and had no problems in and out.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Timeline

Also since you are driving to Canada you can just use your Citizenship Certificate that you receieved it is an official document and allows you to cross the border. We did that with my sister, when we went to Mexico, we were also driving, and had no problems in and out.

Really? When did you do this? I thought you had to have a US passport to get back into the US from anywhere if you are a US citizen. If this is the case, you have solved my problem!

My eyes filled with grit

See if you have a local passport processing center - if you can prove your travel plans, you are allowed to apply in person and get the passport on the same day.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Timeline

I found this on the travel.gov website so I guess you guys got lucky?

When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air. For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License, or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.

See if you have a local passport processing center - if you can prove your travel plans, you are allowed to apply in person and get the passport on the same day.

We do have one in New York City. This is what I want to do. I called them and they said the only acceptable proof are hotel reservations, air line reservations, etc. I feel like I might as well just book a hotel to prove I'm going, even though I'm staying with my family.

My eyes filled with grit

I found this on the travel.gov website so I guess you guys got lucky?

When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air. For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License, or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.

We do have one in New York City. This is what I want to do. I called them and they said the only acceptable proof are hotel reservations, air line reservations, etc. I feel like I might as well just book a hotel to prove I'm going, even though I'm staying with my family.

Good idea! I would definitely travel with a US passport to avoid any surprises when crossing the border.

Edited by nwctzn

Filed: Other Timeline

They will not refuse you a passport just because you are driving instead of flying.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

I learned a trick from some people on this forum (or the other one) who went to apply for same-day passport not for the sake of traveling, but for the sake of cutting down the usual 2-3 wks waiting period. Apparently (don't know if they still do that) some airlines offer 24-hour no penalty cancellation, meaning you can cancel your ticket for a full refund as long as you do that within 24 hours from the time you make the reservation. So basically you reserve the ticket online, print out a copy of it, bring it to the passport processing center with you in the morning, show them the proof of travel, submit your documentations, receive your passport in the afternoon, go home and cancel your reservation online all in the same day.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

Naturalization adventure (5-year rule)

Local District office - Indianapolis, IN

08/25/2010-01/06/2011

US airways has this service

"US Airways will allow a customer to cancel a purchased ticket for a full refund without penalty for up to 24 hours after purchase. This policy applies to refundable as well as non-refundable fares."

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/aboutus/customersfirst/customerserviceplan.html

Delta

"Risk-free Cancellation

As part of our Best Fare Guarantee, you can now get a refund for most eTickets purchased directly through Delta with travel originating in the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Canada. You don’t even have to call.

Once you've bought a qualifying eTicket, you have a day to cancel it for any reason and receive a full refund—including any prepaid fees and Direct Ticketing Charges—with no cancellation fee."

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/ticket_changes_refunds/risk_free_cancellation/index.jsp

Continental too

"Continental’s 24-hour Flexible Booking policy allows the flexibility to make changes to your reservations within 24 hours of purchasing your ticket, without incurring change fees. This includes canceling your reservation and requesting a 100% refund of the ticket price."

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/apps/onepass/promotions/registrationDetails.aspx?promoCode=A5753

Enjoy your Christmas with your family lol

08/25/2010-01/06/2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tanzania
Timeline

Some airlines will display your itenarary before prompting you to pay for the ticket online. This is acceptable proof of travel.

One night hotel stay reservation is also cheaper than paying the airline for the full ticket. Always check the refund policy.

Jan 1999- F1 to USA

June 2006- AOS thru D.O.R.A.

Dec 2009- Oath. Finally a U.S Citizen

I am proud to be Tanzamerican!

Timeline

This is a much more convoluted idea, but if you're desperate ... you could go to Canada with your Canadian passport, have your new U.S. passport delivered to a U.S. address and have someone Fedex your new passport to you in Canada.

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

"This is a much more convoluted idea, but if you're desperate ... you could go to Canada with your Canadian passport, have your new U.S. passport delivered to a U.S. address and have someone Fedex your new passport to you in Canada."

By law, a US citizen is REQUIRED to depart and enter the US with a valid US passport, whether you have a passport from another country or not.

"Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States."

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

08/25/2010-01/06/2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.