I AM NOT THAT GUY

Future of NJ black bear hunt now up to judges

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

TRENTON, N.J. — Animal protection groups seeking to stop New Jersey's black bear hunt from getting under way told an appeals court Tuesday that the hunt is based on faulty data — exaggerated numbers of bear-human incidents and unreliable population counts that put too many pregnant females at risk of being hunted.

Two animal rights groups sued the state last year, challenging the bear management policy that allows an annual six-day hunt. The activists failed to stop last year's hunt, in which 592 black bears were killed, but the lawsuit was allowed to continue on its merits.

Last year's hunt was the first in five years. A similar legal challenge succeeded in 2007, and no hunt was held. An appeals panel found flaws with the management policy and ruled that the 2005 hunt should not have taken place.

Tuesday's oral arguments before a three-judge panel focused on the Division of Fish and Wildlife's 2010 comprehensive bear management policy, which includes a hunt. The state maintains that a hunt is needed to keep the black bear population of around 3,400 in check.

A ruling is expected before Dec. 5, the hunt's scheduled start date. An appeal to the state Supreme Court is possible.

Bears have been spotted in 19 of 21 counties this year. The Department of Environmental Protection has recorded 2,667 reports of bear activity through October, a number that includes bear sightings, attacks on livestock, 46 home entries and 516 reports of bears picking through garbage.

Doris Lin, a lawyer for the Animal Protection League of New Jersey and The Bear Education Resource Group, asked the appeals panel to cancel the hunt and invalidate the bear management policy. She maintains the policy is based on skewed data and is therefore unreliable.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700202395/Future-of-NJ-black-bear-hunt-now-up-to-judges.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I don't see why we need to have black bears around at all. They should all go back to Pennsylvania where they belong!

they migrated in from ny, they are just trying to find a home since the bear market ended.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Gotta love 'em. Science is good when it comes to global warming or whatever other cause, but any science in regards to keeping a wild animal population in check is skewed.

@ \ We have enough bear here in PA and some big ones at that. I have ate bear meat though and it was disgusting, so I don't hunt them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Do I come across as the kind of person who cares about facts?

I just want them gone. I don't care where they came from.

why do you hate bears?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!