Oahu&Amesbury

INS Making it up as they go along?

75 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

As of Nov 22, my i29f app was 5 months in processing. The Goal set by INS and the day I could initiate a service inquiry (finally have someone check what the hold up is). I call on that day, they give me the run around and finally inform me that they can not initiate a service inquiry because target is no longer 5 months. They now have a target date of June 16th apps and they will only do service requests for apps received prior to June 16th. It has been 7 days since I was told this and that should make target date now June 23rd. I called this morning to start my service inquiry and was told target date is still June 16th. WTH?! Do they make this up as they go along. Is this how they make sure there is no recourse for tax paying American Citizens when they don't do there job? What good is are these targets if they keep changing them?

Very Frustrating for you...I would suggest that you pour yourself a large scotch on the rocks. At least then you can feel a little more at ease while you are waiting.

Hope it comes through really soon for you.

AOS Timeline
Filed 15th June, 2012
NOA date 18th June
Bio appt 20th July
Transferred to CSC 21st July, 2012
EAD/AP approved 27th August.
Received Green Card 6th October. No Interview. Amazing!
Thanks for all the help, see you again in June 2014

ROC Timeline

Mailed Package 30th June 2014

I-797 received 5th July, 2014

Biometrics Appointment 07/30/2014.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

VSC was the same about a month ago. give it a few week and "hopefully" it will be back to 5 months again... maybe

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

5 months is an AVERAGE ... "as in" some take longer some take less time. Reality is if you got your NOA1 you know they have your petition, the rest is waiting for someone to take the box with your (and a bunch of others) file off the shelf, then wait for yours to be put on a desk, then hope you don't get an RFE.

The waiting sucks big time... like a wind tunnel!

I tasted some Battle Hill single malt scotch the other day, may have to buy a bottle as a Christmas present to myself. This reminds me of being overseas waiting to be "short" to jump back across the pond... only now I am waiting for my little pond jumper to come this way! :rofl:

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

As of Nov 22, my i29f app was 5 months in processing. The Goal set by INS and the day I could initiate a service inquiry (finally have someone check what the hold up is). I call on that day, they give me the run around and finally inform me that they can not initiate a service inquiry because target is no longer 5 months. They now have a target date of June 16th apps and they will only do service requests for apps received prior to June 16th. It has been 7 days since I was told this and that should make target date now June 23rd. I called this morning to start my service inquiry and was told target date is still June 16th. WTH?! Do they make this up as they go along. Is this how they make sure there is no recourse for tax paying American Citizens when they don't do there job? What good is are these targets if they keep changing them?

The target 'date' of June 16th means that is the oldest, in theory, petition date, and that may not yet be adjudicated. The petition(s) from that date may be ones they are still working on.

The target date does not change in the way you thought it would, counting a day every day since you rang them. It changes when the oldest dated petition clears the hurdles.

5 months is average. Some take less, some take more. Every last one is individual and is dealt with on it's own merits.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Good friends of ours took 10 months; they were and are strong people and never complained. Frustrated, yes, but understood to wait. Never had any issues and now they are very happily together.

You can withdraw the petition if you want; that would really stick it to 'EM!

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

I understand 5 months is an average that they set. The point is that they set that goal and that is the time frame given before I can do anything about it. Now when they did not meet that goal and I want to take action, they change the "goal" on me. That is not right. As for the number of days incrementing like days on calender, I know it may not be exact, but INS on phone told me "they are currently processing June 16th and because of the Thanksgiving holiday, it may take more than 6 days to get to yours. It should be no longer than two weeks." The issue is not only the amount of time they are taking, but the fact they are not giving straight answers. They seem to make up what they want to tell me every time.

On a side note, I know I need to just be patient. Its just so hard to see so many get theirs so quickly, and mine take so long when: We have no significant age gap, I provided tons of proof or relationship, Neither of us have priv marriages or kids, no cirm records, and I even have a DoD TS so I know my background check should have been a cake walk. uggh... just venting again.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I understand 5 months is an average that they set. The point is that they set that goal and that is the time frame given before I can do anything about it. Now when they did not meet that goal and I want to take action, they change the "goal" on me. That is not right. As for the number of days incrementing like days on calender, I know it may not be exact, but INS on phone told me "they are currently processing June 16th and because of the Thanksgiving holiday, it may take more than 6 days to get to yours. It should be no longer than two weeks." The issue is not only the amount of time they are taking, but the fact they are not giving straight answers. They seem to make up what they want to tell me every time.

On a side note, I know I need to just be patient. Its just so hard to see so many get theirs so quickly, and mine take so long when: We have no significant age gap, I provided tons of proof or relationship, Neither of us have priv marriages or kids, no cirm records, and I even have a DoD TS so I know my background check should have been a cake walk. uggh... just venting again.

The reason they can't give you a straight answer is because there is no straight answer. They don't know if any of the petitions in the box ahead of yours will be easy to adjucate or take more of their time....so they have to give ranges of time.

Did you realize that for a normal, no RFE adjucation, it takes them about 15 minutes....Think about it, you wait 5 plus months and it only takes them 15 minutes to give the approval and move your petition along to the next step.

Think about it, only 15 minutes......think of the number of boxes of petitions ahead of yours to make up a 5 month backlog!!!!

Now you can see why YOU are not that special.......you're a mere speck in the mudfield.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

The reason they can't give you a straight answer is because there is no straight answer. They don't know if any of the petitions in the box ahead of yours will be easy to adjucate or take more of their time....so they have to give ranges of time.

Did you realize that for a normal, no RFE adjucation, it takes them about 15 minutes....Think about it, you wait 5 plus months and it only takes them 15 minutes to give the approval and move your petition along to the next step.

Think about it, only 15 minutes......think of the number of boxes of petitions ahead of yours to make up a 5 month backlog!!!!

Now you can see why YOU are not that special.......you're a mere speck in the mudfield.

You are missing the point. They have a "goal" in which I can not make them do a "service inquiry". My RIGHT to find out why they are not processing my application as a TAX PAYING AMERICAN CITIZEN. Now when their time is up, they change the date so they do not have to do what is REQUIRED of then upon my request. Time I can not do anything about, but the process is what is pissing me off. They are doing what they want. I am not special as their are many who should have the right to do their "service inquiry". INS needs to do what they are required and stop dodging the bullet.

They are not processing your petition because they have not yet reached it. They are currently processing other petitions that were filed before yours. Their goal is 5 months, and sometimes they are better sometimes worse. You have the right to call and enquire. They answered you and told you that, given the current pile of petitions in front of them, their best estimate is 6-14 days. The only way they could give you a better estimate is by looking at each and every petition and analysing how much time each one will take to process. Ie they will have to process every petition in order to tell you how much time it will take exactly ;)

They do not let you do a service inquiry before 5 months because they know that the answer will simply be "you are waiting in line, we have not reached you yet". After 5 months you can call...and the answer will either be "we have not reached you yet, here is an estimate of how much longer" OR "we should've reached you, hmm, we are working on your petition but there is some issue/we must have lost your petition". I don't see how you can expect anything more.

And yeah it is annoying when other people get approved before you due to them randomly processing a group of more-recent petitions. That is annoying. But ultimately there's nothing you or they can do about it now.

Timeline

They are not processing your petition because they have not yet reached it. They are currently processing other petitions that were filed before yours. Their goal is 5 months, and sometimes they are better sometimes worse. You have the right to call and enquire. They answered you and told you that, given the current pile of petitions in front of them, their best estimate is 6-14 days. The only way they could give you a better estimate is by looking at each and every petition and analysing how much time each one will take to process. Ie they will have to process every petition in order to tell you how much time it will take exactly ;)

They do not let you do a service inquiry before 5 months because they know that the answer will simply be "you are waiting in line, we have not reached you yet". After 5 months you can call...and the answer will either be "we have not reached you yet, here is an estimate of how much longer" OR "we should've reached you, hmm, we are working on your petition but there is some issue/we must have lost your petition". I don't see how you can expect anything more.

I expect a formal service inquiry in writing upon my request. My right and what they are required to do when they fall out of guideline. Wouldn't it be nice to tell the bank you do not owe a penalty because I don't have my payment yet and I am changing the due date. That is what they are doing. Do you see what I am getting at? They are not living up to their obligation and giving the runaround as to why.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

You are missing the point. They have a "goal" in which I can not make them do a "service inquiry". My RIGHT to find out why they are not processing my application as a TAX PAYING AMERICAN CITIZEN. Now when their time is up, they change the date so they do not have to do what is REQUIRED of then upon my request. Time I can not do anything about, but the process is what is pissing me off. They are doing what they want. I am not special as their are many who should have the right to do their "service inquiry". INS needs to do what they are required and stop dodging the bullet.

maybe they changed the goal just to piss YOU off... or maybe they are just really busy right now. even if you managed to put in a service request you would still only be told that they are working through all the petitions and you will be approved when they get to yours.

its really not worth getting worked up about :)

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Timeline

maybe they changed the goal just to piss YOU off... or maybe they are just really busy right now. even if you managed to put in a service request you would still only be told that they are working through all the petitions and you will be approved when they get to yours.

its really not worth getting worked up about :)

Yes, can only vent. It's just wise asses who make comments like "YOU are not special" that pisses me off. I have a right to voice my opinion here just as everyone else dose. If I want to complain about a gov agency lacking then I can. I know all about it because I also work for a gov agency.

This process is about security. Stopping the wrong people from sneaking into country for wrong reasons. Is it working? I see our Americans being punished by a process that is not effective with its purpose. For that, I have no problem criticizing INS.

If you (you means no one specific) have an opinion, say so. If you want to make it personal by saying "YOU are not special", it's a good thing were not all in the same room.

BTW: the service inq is just to make them work and know that Im not just going to sit around. It's a waist of time but can be effective to get people moving. I have experience on both sides of that sort of thing. They keep pushing back my right to do so and that is plain wrong.

Edited by Oahu&Amesbury

Vent all you want...that's what we're all here for!! We've all been through it, its just that some people went through the process so long ago and are now reunited with their loved ones that they don't remember how terribly frustrating it is to have some government entity deciding your fate...and seemingly taking their time doing it.

It will happen....:yes:

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good friends of ours took 10 months; they were and are strong people and never complained. Frustrated, yes, but understood to wait. Never had any issues and now they are very happily together.

You can withdraw the petition if you want; that would really stick it to 'EM!

:rofl: :rofl:

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.