dukeandduchess

Pregnancy & Benefits in the US vs. Canada?

49 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I always assumed it would be the 10,000 after insurance. After reading this, I checked and it is much cheaper than expected. Thanks for your help!! B-)

I spoke to a woman today at work, she said with their fairly good insurance and a natural birth (no epidural) their out of pocket came to approx $700 so there's your best case scenario but of course you can never guarantee what happens during a birth and you can never guess how you'll react to the pain :(

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

I spoke to a woman today at work, she said with their fairly good insurance and a natural birth (no epidural) their out of pocket came to approx $700 so there's your best case scenario but of course you can never guarantee what happens during a birth and you can never guess how you'll react to the pain :(

So if you have to go to the hospital (for a c-section) would that be covered also?

Edited by TheFantastics09

UJaZm4.png

***Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours... xoxo***

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not to hijack this thread (sorry OP), but after pregnancy and child birth how much debt are most of you left with (if you don't mind me asking)?

Hijack away!! :thumbs:

** you're asking questions I care about too! haha

Edited by dukeandduchess

I always assumed it would be the 10,000 after insurance. After reading this, I checked and it is much cheaper than expected. Thanks for your help!! B-)

It could well be depending on your insurance!

Apparently my boss's bill - she is covered 90% after a $8,000 (I believe) deductible - for a cesarean birth and 5-day hospital stay was around $20,000.

I have a deductible of $4,000 after which I am covered 100%. So I'm expecting my total expenses (not given birth yet) to be $4,000.

Edited by Alex & Rachel

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Apparently my boss's bill - she is covered 90% after a $8,000 (I believe) deductible - for a cesarean birth and 5-day hospital stay was around $20,000.

I have a deductible of $4,000 after which I am covered 100%. So I'm expecting my total expenses (not given birth yet) to be $4,000.

Our insurance changes as of Jan and then we will pay out of pocket 3000 then the rest is covered at 100 percent so I know the next one will be roughly the same amount.

As for medically needed csections, they are usually covered at the same amount (80 percent or which ever percent your insurance covers) however it does cost more. I believe my OB had said its usually around 22,000 without insurance.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

So if you have to go to the hospital (for a c-section) would that be covered also?

It's not that your insurance doesn't cover most things, it's generally what percentage they pay and what you are left with. Have a good read through your fiance's insurance policy and if needed write down the questions he needs to ask his HR/Benefits person. He can probably find someone at work who take sthe same plan who has had a baby recently and they can explain what it cost for them. You may have a deductible to meet first....but perhaps it's already been met that year and then you're just paying a percentage of whatever the total cost is.

Last year I had laproscopic day surgery which involved being put out/ operating toom, recovery etc and I didn't pay a cent, it's just all in what coverage and how comprehensive it is.

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

Ouch - an $8000 deductible is a little crazy :( But what can you do, your company picks whatever insurance options it picks and the employees sometimes don't have much choice.

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Hijack away!! :thumbs:

** you're asking questions I care about too! haha

Much appreciated! :thumbs:

It's not that your insurance doesn't cover most things, it's generally what percentage they pay and what you are left with. Have a good read through your fiance's insurance policy and if needed write down the questions he needs to ask his HR/Benefits person. He can probably find someone at work who take sthe same plan who has had a baby recently and they can explain what it cost for them. You may have a deductible to meet first....but perhaps it's already been met that year and then you're just paying a percentage of whatever the total cost is.

Last year I had laproscopic day surgery which involved being put out/ operating toom, recovery etc and I didn't pay a cent, it's just all in what coverage and how comprehensive it is.

My husband said one of his co-workers is pregnant right now, so he will ask her next week. Great idea!! :yes:

Edited by TheFantastics09

UJaZm4.png

***Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours... xoxo***

Timeline

All I know is that here, in NJ, I've seen a few girls at work go out on Mat Leave and they are back in 8-12 weeks. I also think it's unpaid but I'm not 100%. It's shitty.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

In my case, my employer offers me 2 full months of paid maternity leave (I think part of it is covered by disability, but they top it up to my full pay) but only if I've worked there for at least one year. If working there less than one year, it would be unpaid. I can also save up my vacation time (I get 5 weeks vacation) and use FMLA, so I think I'll be able to take at least 4 months or so. Every employer is very different, so beware of that.

In terms of benefits, we don't have a deductible and I am covered 100% for all services related to child birth, but I'll have to stay in network, which isn't too hard to do in NYC generally. Employers often offer different coverage options, some with a deductible and some with no deductible but with higher co-pays. When your husband's open enrollment comes around, you should look at all of the available options and plan accordingly. Sometimes it's worth it to pay a higher premium every month if you know that you're planning to have a baby and need better coverage.

Living in the US for 2.5 years now has made me realize how important having a emergency savings fund is. Even with insurance and a job, you just never know what could happen. We keep a large savings fund just in case. It means we will wait longer to start a family, but the piece of mind is worth it.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

I have a question about Canadian's losing their benefits when they move to the US. What is used to determine whether they receive benefits or not? Residency?

The reason I ask is because my wife and I are in the US right now and for the immediate future (I have a job while she goes to school and graduates), but in the future we have talked about living in Canada for a season of our lives.

The immigration process would be much easier for us the other way around as long as I find a job because I am a religious worker (and therefore don't need a visa to work or be up there while the process is ongoing). But anyway, once we moved there would she regain her benefits?

Thanks for any input!

Timeline

In my case, my employer offers me 2 full months of paid maternity leave (I think part of it is covered by disability, but they top it up to my full pay) but only if I've worked there for at least one year. If working there less than one year, it would be unpaid. I can also save up my vacation time (I get 5 weeks vacation) and use FMLA, so I think I'll be able to take at least 4 months or so. Every employer is very different, so beware of that.

In terms of benefits, we don't have a deductible and I am covered 100% for all services related to child birth, but I'll have to stay in network, which isn't too hard to do in NYC generally. Employers often offer different coverage options, some with a deductible and some with no deductible but with higher co-pays. When your husband's open enrollment comes around, you should look at all of the available options and plan accordingly. Sometimes it's worth it to pay a higher premium every month if you know that you're planning to have a baby and need better coverage.

Living in the US for 2.5 years now has made me realize how important having a emergency savings fund is. Even with insurance and a job, you just never know what could happen. We keep a large savings fund just in case. It means we will wait longer to start a family, but the piece of mind is worth it.

Couldn't agree with you more!

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

So heres a ?..Our petition just left friday for the montreal consulate.. We just found out a few weeks ago Im pregnant..Timing sucks obviously my beautiful wedding dress prob wont fit..blah blah blah...

If I go on Mat leave early before we move..Can it continue? I know you can get EI in some cases? (not a happy healthy pregnant person at all..past 2 babes have meant lots of hospitalizations for rehydration and nutrition)

Thoughts anyone?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.