amazngrace

Emergency experienced help needed please!

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Wow a lot of planned family migration.

The 15 yo would be 16 before you could get an adoption approved that meet immgiration standard and that makes her too old to adopt for immigration purposes.

The mother , it seems your husband will be the first one eligble to be a USC so in about 4 years ( petition time/ interview /+3 years as LPR) He can then petition his mother and she can come about a year after that ( 5 years from now) at that time she could petition for minor children and and UNMARRIED adult children , the minor children are fairly quick the unmarried adult children are about 8 years of waiting. The little ones as others have told you are harder because they have a living parent and it is so common for relative to sign over children in attempts to avoid immigration laws. You may be able to get it done but you will want to proceed with the help of a lawyer that knows this type of adoption and can tell you exactly how NOT to make mistakes especially when it comes to the living with the child for 2 years ( both of you ) . It will not be cheap or easy. That being said , with the money you would have to lay out to make all that possible you could probably arrange for a very comfortable living in Cameroon. I know this is true of Nigeria

Thank you very much for your help! Living in Cameroon is actually something we have discussed long before the thought of helping others to come here occured. We plan to have both a home here in US and one in Cameroon. Our family owns a few homes there we use as rental homes we could even choose one of those I suppose to be comfortable for a while. We are trying to get some type of income going through online business or something to help us live more comfortably there in Cameroon as well as establish something reliable in the US so we can be traveling abroad for future plans. Is living there together for 2 years a condition of this adoption? i keep seeing it come up in others postings?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Topic has been moved from K-1 Visa forum to Bringing Family Members of Permanent Residents to America forum as a more appropriate location for this discussion.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Being that it'll be extremely long and complex to bring al these people to the States, I would simply live in Cameroon for some years. These kids don't need to live in the US, they need a stable family, and you'd do them worlds of good by moving there with them. I hope this works out for you, you and your husband sound like amazing people.

Filed: Timeline

As for his mother and younger brothers who are both over 18 is there a way for me to petition for them? Or is the only option for my husband to wait until he is a citizen, his brother petition once he is a citizen or his uncle can petition for any or some of them?

You cannot petition for any of them. Your husband cannot petition for them until he is a citizen, and the wait for their petitions to become current will still be some years in the future after that (3-5 years for husband to gain citizenship, 10+ years for sibling petitions to become current).

Next discussion will be student visas no doubt....but remember, students have to convince the embassy that they will return to their country after studying....and given the circumstances you've described, how is that even remotely possible?

Timeline

You cannot petition for any of them. Your husband cannot petition for them until he is a citizen, and the wait for their petitions to become current will still be some years in the future after that (3-5 years for husband to gain citizenship, 10+ years for sibling petitions to become current).

Next discussion will be student visas no doubt....but remember, students have to convince the embassy that they will return to their country after studying....and given the circumstances you've described, how is that even remotely possible?

Actually one of my husbands younger brother is taking a german language course and had planned to join my husband in germany but then we got married and plans have somehow shifted since my hubby is moving to US now to be with me here. Niethier brother has decided where they wish to study as of yet so they are not much concern as they are not babies anymore and will make their own choices. My husband has a brother here in the US who will become a citizen next year I have a strong feeling he will petition for their mother. My main concern are the three children as they are completely dependant still.

Timeline

Being that it'll be extremely long and complex to bring al these people to the States, I would simply live in Cameroon for some years. These kids don't need to live in the US, they need a stable family, and you'd do them worlds of good by moving there with them. I hope this works out for you, you and your husband sound like amazing people.

Yes i do agree with you about them not having to come to the US. A stable family is what they are in most need and I actually prefer they stay in their home land until more matured before comming to the US. I want their culture to stay strong in them throughout their life. I have seen many people come here from abroad and be so determined and then get lost in negative behavior and just waist so much opportunity. We have already began the process of adopting the orphaned girl who is about 15, I know it will take time but we will be patient in the mean time we have plans to travel throughtout the process back and forth from time to time. The 2 brothers are older and our hands are tied by the laws so they will be the ones in control of the situation and as far as our mom my bro in law will petition for her next year. where i see most our problem is the 2 smallest children whos mom is not of any use to us but creates an issue since she makes them not legally orphans? thanks for all your help though

Timeline

I believe it depends on which family members you want to petition for.

As far as I know, he would have to be the one to petition for them, and he would not be able to do that until he is a citizen (i know you you can petition for a spouse as a PR but Im not sure about other family members). Either way, I know it takes a long time for other family members as you have to waot for a visa number (spouses dont have to wait for this number.)

Either way, I know it takes a long time. I also dont know exactly how it works with an adopted child, but I know its best to do ASAP as I believe by 18 you can no longer petition for them as a child...

Hopefully someone will verify my answers, but I just thought id let you know the few things I remember!

Good luck!

Thank you very much for the tips.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.