Kimbear

missing Hockey night in Canada

27 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

ya they do but the games are only available on two channels..and barely if at all. Versus, which you can only get with those higher end packages or a specific comcast sports channel. and i refuse to pay 100/month for freaking cable...my only other option is to listen to it on the radio but again..its not the same :(

i did this during the immigration process so i could watch hulu etc..but i can't seem to find the reverse possibility for Canada..tried all sorts of proxies. and justin tv half the time its just a black screen i get

I almost started humming the hockey night in canada theme song today at work..LOL. I grew up in Montreal with a big brother and a father who were absolutely NUTS for montreal canadiens...i actually scared my hubby's family the year teh hawks won the cup...i watched the games at their house and i was all yelling and swearing and freaking out...lol

Versus comes with the mid tier package with Comcast, since Comcast owns every freakin' thing. (GE/NBC Universal etc)

I also have Versus and NHL network with the $65.00 AT&T Uverse package.

Anyone who reads this, check into AT&T Uverse. If it's available in your area. I switched from Comcast and I get better service, faster internet, more channels and it's $100 less a month!

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

Timeline

ya they do but the games are only available on two channels..and barely if at all. Versus, which you can only get with those higher end packages or a specific comcast sports channel. and i refuse to pay 100/month for freaking cable...my only other option is to listen to it on the radio but again..its not the same :(

i did this during the immigration process so i could watch hulu etc..but i can't seem to find the reverse possibility for Canada..tried all sorts of proxies. and justin tv half the time its just a black screen i get

I almost started humming the hockey night in canada theme song today at work..LOL. I grew up in Montreal with a big brother and a father who were absolutely NUTS for montreal canadiens...i actually scared my hubby's family the year teh hawks won the cup...i watched the games at their house and i was all yelling and swearing and freaking out...lol

A few down here in Nicaragua use http://strongvpn.com/ and go out of Montreal. They say the service is very good. I'll be signing up in the next few days

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Streem2watch http://www.stream2watch.me/ has all the games free, it works about 80% of the time and its the canadian feeds most of the time. I know for somting like 160 you can do it for the year at nhl.com and get all the games and all the feeds all the time, and direct tv wants somthing like 250 for nhl center ice and its the same thing all the feeds all the time id like to know how to do the xbox though since im still in AOS the hockey package is a needless expense lol

Thank you for this!! :yes:

June 7, 2010 - Will asked me to marry him, and I said YES!!
October 4, 2010 - Will sent away the I-129F Petition
October 12, 2010 - NOA1 received!
October 15, 2010 - First "touch"
October 18, 2010 - Second "touch"
March 7, 2011 - NOA2!!!
March 18, 2011 - NVC forwarded our case to the Montreal Consulate....NOT where we wanted it to go!
March 25, 2011 - Email from Montreal saying that our case would be forwarded to Vancouver - only took one night for a reply from them smile.png
April 5, 2011 - Vancouver has our package!
April 6, 2011 - Received Packet 3 via email - now just waiting on my police certificate.
April 13, 2011 - faxed Packet 3 to Vancouver
April 14, 2011 - received Packet 4 via email
May 4, 2011 - Medical appointment
May 5, 2011 - Interview!! APPROVED smile.png

June 16, 2011 - POE at Blaine Peace Arch Crossing
June 28, 2011 - Got married by Elvis in Vegas!
Aug 8, 2011 - Received SSN in the mail.

Aug 31, 2011 - Sent off AOS Package
Sept 7, 2011 - Package received by USCIS
Sept 9, 2011 - Notice of Action email for AOS, EAD, and AP.
Sept 16, 2011 - Received my Biometrics Appt. letter for the 30th.
Sept 22, 2011 - RFE sad.png
Sept 30, 2011 - Biometrics Appt.
Oct 26, 2011 - Received interview letter for Dec 1st
Nov 4, 2011 - EAD/AP approved
Nov 12, 2011 - Received combo card in the mail
Dec 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED smile.png
Dec 9, 2011 - Greencard arrived in the mail!

Oct 18, 2013 - I-751 Package signed for at CA Service Center

Mar 5, 2014 - Approved! Awaiting greencard in the mail

Hey Kimbear, About the Xbox thing, You need to be a Xbox Live member and have a ESPN3 affiliated internet provider. Here is the link to check it out... http://espn.go.com/watchespn/xbox

For more information on our journey please see our 'About Me' page on our profile!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not only can I not afford the center ice package, I work a 4pm to 2:30 am shift so I rarely get to see any games. I do get the NHL network and Versus so we do get some games...I am just never home to watch them, and rarely is it my team playing.

As for the Hockey Night in Canada Theme and CBC.....did Hockey Night in Canada not move to CTV a few years ago and CBC had to do a new theme song?

On the weekend I went to our storage unit to pull out some bins of my clothes that I can finally fit back into since having my baby and I found this T-Shirt that I got at walmart a few years ago. It says "I (L) Hockey Night in Canada" and I just happened to wear it today!!

Actually, the "Hockey Night In Canada" theme was never actually the Hockey Night In Canada theme. It's actually called "The Hockey Theme", and CBC wasn't willing to fork over the money required by the copyright holder to renew the license. They apparently offered a million dollars. CTV outbid them, and the theme has been for TSN's hockey coverage for the past three years. And TSN's hockey coverage is really second to none. Honestly, that's one of the things I miss most about living in Canada. I'm on TSN's website a few times every day to get all my hockey news.

I never liked CBC, and still contend that the only good programming they've ever had has been HNIC, and Kids in the Hall in the '90's. I tried to watch Being Erica when it first came out, but three or four episodes in, I realized it was pretty crappy too.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Versus comes with the mid tier package with Comcast, since Comcast owns every freakin' thing. (GE/NBC Universal etc)

I also have Versus and NHL network with the $65.00 AT&T Uverse package.

Anyone who reads this, check into AT&T Uverse. If it's available in your area. I switched from Comcast and I get better service, faster internet, more channels and it's $100 less a month!

Well whenever we get a house LOL, we already decided on probably U-Verse, alot of people we know say good things about it and i hate hate hate with a passion Comcast.

Hey Kimbear, About the Xbox thing, You need to be a Xbox Live member and have a ESPN3 affiliated internet provider. Here is the link to check it out... http://espn.go.com/watchespn/xbox

Oh ho...wonder if there is anything extra, the xbox we got was the 250g bundle with 3 month gold membership. It should come today along with our new Samsung "cough" LED LCD....i just could not refuse the price we got it at lol. I told my husband this is the problem with me working again :rofl: I just love me some good electronics A/V style LOL

Actually, the "Hockey Night In Canada" theme was never actually the Hockey Night In Canada theme. It's actually called "The Hockey Theme", and CBC wasn't willing to fork over the money required by the copyright holder to renew the license. They apparently offered a million dollars. CTV outbid them, and the theme has been for TSN's hockey coverage for the past three years. And TSN's hockey coverage is really second to none. Honestly, that's one of the things I miss most about living in Canada. I'm on TSN's website a few times every day to get all my hockey news.

I never liked CBC, and still contend that the only good programming they've ever had has been HNIC, and Kids in the Hall in the '90's. I tried to watch Being Erica when it first came out, but three or four episodes in, I realized it was pretty crappy too.

^^^^^^OMG i soo miss kids...used to watch it every Friday before going out for Midnight Bowling. Hubby doesn't quite get it when i pinch my two fingers togethers and say " crush your head" :lol: And dont get me started on my fav char..Buddy the barfly!!! lol

HWDWm6.png

For some reason, NHL Center Ice isn't available in our area so we signed up for NHL GameCenter Live. It's about 19 dollars a month, I think, and we have access to most games. You're also able to pick the feed that you watch, so I always pick the Ottawa one. It's nice to hear the home announcers, and to see the Canadian commercials. We either watch the game on our laptop or we stream it on our PS3. Just as good as watching the game on television!

^^^^^^OMG i soo miss kids...used to watch it every Friday before going out for Midnight Bowling. Hubby doesn't quite get it when i pinch my two fingers togethers and say " crush your head" :lol: And dont get me started on my fav char..Buddy the barfly!!! lol

Yeah, I've been watching some of it streaming on Netflix. It had been a long time since I'd seen most of the skits (I was a teenager when it was on TV). It was hit and miss, but some of those scenes and characters are so classic. I think my favorite skit comes from the very last episode.

SON: "Daddy, what's that bad man doing to my donkey?"

FATHER: "Son, that's Hitler, and he's #$*@ing your donkey!"

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Timeline

Well whenever we get a house LOL, we already decided on probably U-Verse, alot of people we know say good things about it and i hate hate hate with a passion Comcast.

Oh ho...wonder if there is anything extra, the xbox we got was the 250g bundle with 3 month gold membership. It should come today along with our new Samsung "cough" LED LCD....i just could not refuse the price we got it at lol. I told my husband this is the problem with me working again :rofl: I just love me some good electronics A/V style LOL

Love love love Uverse. For years all we had for cable providers here was Crumcast. I hated them with a purple passion. It got to the point my bill was almost $300 for TV, phone and internet. I never got the speed of internet I was paying for and was constantly hiccuping, they throttled me three times for going over the '250GB limit'. The cable had issues the entire time we had it. The only thing good about the phone package was Canada was free to call.

The AT&T guy said I'd notice a difference with my TV and internet. Because Comcast compresses their HD so much that the quality is effected, and everyone knows that cable is a 'shared' connection. I thought he was blowing smoke up my #### until I turned on my TV.

It's awesome to watch hockey in true quality HD on an LED TV!!

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

Timeline

Ok so we hooked up the new xbox to the new led tv and our live gold membership i did all the d/l for espn updates etc. was watching some highlights etc on it..guess i'll find out tonight if i can actually watch hodkey eh? hubby is already crying that he wont be able to play halo:reach cuz i'll steal the xbox from him ROFL..noooo i wont..honest! :whistle:

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

Love love love Uverse. For years all we had for cable providers here was Crumcast. I hated them with a purple passion. It got to the point my bill was almost $300 for TV, phone and internet. I never got the speed of internet I was paying for and was constantly hiccuping, they throttled me three times for going over the '250GB limit'. The cable had issues the entire time we had it. The only thing good about the phone package was Canada was free to call.

The AT&T guy said I'd notice a difference with my TV and internet. Because Comcast compresses their HD so much that the quality is effected, and everyone knows that cable is a 'shared' connection. I thought he was blowing smoke up my #### until I turned on my TV.

It's awesome to watch hockey in true quality HD on an LED TV!!

Just read your post to my husband :lol: All i could say when he facepalmed was BLAME VJ!!!:rofl:

he has no idea what hes in for...lol

HWDWm6.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.