HRHRHRHR

Feeling Down/long distance communication options?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Hello all. I am new to all of this and am feeling pretty down. I have not filed yet for theK1 but, will soon.

I have a question. Does anyone know a good calling card or phone plans that are at a good rate?

I have been using my cellphone and am really upset how high the bills are.

I feel like the process is draining me physically,financially and emotionally.

I need advice what service of phone cards work?

On average how long does it take to approve or not if I am petitioning someone from the middle east to comes to the US?

I am also concerned financially since, I am still looking for employment!

If this visa works and he gets to the US, how soon can he work here?

I am so bummed out and am wondering if this is the best thing for me.

Help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Vonage 35$ a month, long distance included.

He can work after AOS 1070$ is filed and he is approved for and has the EAD card in his hand. Depending on how long it takes you to get married and file for it is how long it will take for him to work. After filing AOS its about 3-4 month wait for EAD approval. Sometimes sooner.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hello all. I am new to all of this and am feeling pretty down. I have not filed yet for theK1 but, will soon.

I have a question. Does anyone know a good calling card or phone plans that are at a good rate?

On average how long does it take to approve or not if I am petitioning someone from the middle east to comes to the US?

Help!

I am sorry you are down! Everyone here can understand your frustration with the long distance!

I don't know anything about calling cards, but Skype is free and very good!

As you are doing a K1 it will be a while before your fiance can work in the US. If you were already married, he could work as soon as he arrives and gets his GC.

You don't have to file your income until his interview which will be after the initial petition is all approved, so you have some time to find a job and earn some money. (5+ months)

Since you haven't filed yet, I'd suggest researching all your options. We were going to get married in Scotland and do a Spousal visa since we were already there but after a lot of research and talking we decided a K1 was better for us and we changed our plans.

Good luck with everything!! :)

05-2010 I-129F application received by USCIS.

05-2010 NOA1 received.

07-2010 NOA2 received.

07-2010 Packet 3 received.

08-2010 Packet 3 returned.

09-2010 Medical in London.

10-2010 Interview at US Embassy in London: Approved.

10-2010 POE Newark, NJ.

11-2010 Married in Vermont.

03-2011 Notice of acceptance of AOS packet.

03-2011 Biometrics appointment in St Albans.

03-2010 Case transfered to California Service Centre.

04-2011 I-485 Approved.

event.png

Can you use Skype or yahoo messenger? I know the cell phone bill issue quite well. I use mine often and pay the price. But my husband and I use yahoo messenger mostly. It is free we use webcam to see each other and we can call by it to hear our voices. Plus yahoo can be a big help when USCIS wants to see proof of your continuing relationship because you can set it to save all of your conversations. For me that was priceless because USCIS sent me RFE and this proof was asked for. I have known several people who had trouble because they used phone cards and had no record of their communication. Be careful if that is the way you go. As for timing, anyone will tell you there is no guarantee. You can fly through or get stuck in background checks. There is no rhyme or reason to it. File and pray. As for his working here, on a k1 you have 90 days to maRry here then you have to file to adjust his status before he can work here. Again the timing is up to immigration. It is one reason my husband and I married first and filed CR1, so when he gets here he can work as soon as he is settled in. He didn't want to sit here feeling useless while waiting for them to adJust his status. Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Welcome to VJ...

Whatever communication method you choose, just be sure that you can obtain records of calls. You will need these for the interview to prove ongoing relationship.

Many posters have freaked out because just prior to their interview they've found out that call records are not provided and in some Embassys they are crucial to approving the visa.

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Thank you. What is vonage? is that a cellphone company or actual cell phone>? It is long distance for 35 a month????

My cell phone bill was over $3000 and I was like omg.. I cant do this. Why am I doing this:((.

He doesnt really usea computer. I may have to make him use it if he wants to keep speaking with me.

Still not sure.. if I should do this or not...

Thanks for replies...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Thank you. What is vonage? is that a cellphone company or actual cell phone>? It is long distance for 35 a month????

My cell phone bill was over $3000 and I was like omg.. I cant do this. Why am I doing this:((.

He doesnt really usea computer. I may have to make him use it if he wants to keep speaking with me.

Thanks for replies...

DAMN!!! Did you say $3000, like $3000 AMERICAN dollars? WOW...

Try www.rebtel.com

This is what I use and it is .06 to call my fiance.

If your fiance doesn't use a computer then Vonage will not be of any help to you.

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks for replies...

What country is he from? Have you seen him sometime in the last 2 years, in person? It's a requirement of the K1 so just checking.

Vonage is here: http://www.vonage.com/

The process is not cheap. If it's just you and your fiance then you need to earn $18,387 a year. Otherwise you need to get someone to help you who DOES earn at least that much (depends on how many people in his household).

There's the fee for the K1: $340

Then he needs to do a police check: was $131 in my country

A medical: was $400 in my country

The K1 visa fee: US$350.

Then there's the flight to the US

Then the AOS (Adjustment of States - which gets him a greencard) fee is currently $1070. It might go up by the time you get to that stage. If he doesn't file the AOS before his medical expires (it's valid for a year) then he'll need another in the US.

Then in 2 years there's more paperwork called Removal of Conditions (ROC) is $590 at the moment (probably go up by the time you file)

I'm not trying to scare you, just making sure you're fully aware.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for replies...

Vonage is a phone company. We use it all the time to call long distance and its only 35$ a month iv spoken on the phone for 2-3 hours long distance and the bill we get never changes always the same. I believe you can get it on cellphones now you would have to switch providers though to them. Look it up on google for more info.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

We started out using Yahoo messenger but switched to Skype as it works MUCH better.

As for calling, buy a magic jack get it setup with a local phone number then mail it there, then you two can call back and forth for CHEAP.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Help!

Magic Jack is keeping my wife in touch with her family we use 25 a month for it and YM and skype...HTH

B&C

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Whatever communication method you choose, just be sure that you can obtain records of calls. You will need these for the interview to prove ongoing relationship.

Many posters have freaked out because just prior to their interview they've found out that call records are not provided and in some Embassys they are crucial to approving the visa.

This message needs to be printed out and thumbtacked to everyone's forehead.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Help!

Skype is free, but if your significant other doesn't have an internet connection but you do, you still can use Skype, sign up for subscription unlimited plan, only 5 $ US a month, and then you can call cellphone or landline. Also, Skype keep the history of calls, I have thread about this. Be sure you download the history every month because Skype only stored it up to 6 months. Good luck.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

I'm not trying to discourage you, but if you are having doubts about starting this process you need to look into yourself and talk with your fiance about whether you guys are ready to get married. Even if you were both american citizens living together I would give you some advice, because marriage is not something to enter into lightly, and if you have doubts before you begin its best not to continue until those doubts are resolved somehow. This process is very long and costly, however if you are absolutely sure that your fiance is your forever One, it is totally worth it, but you need to make sure that there are no doubts. Good luck whatever you do! :thumbs:

Brandy + Ben = <3
Dating online since June 2009
Met Feb 23rd 2010
Lived together in US on J1 Visa since Sept 28th 2010
Got engaged on Sept 21st 2011 :)
He went back to Australia at the end of his J1 Visa on Sept 22nd 2011 :(

Sent I129 on 10/26/2011
Received: 10/27/2011
NOA1 dated: 10/31/2011
NOA1 received in mail: 11/4/2011

NOA2!!!!! 01/25/2012 in 86 days! :wow:
Married June 4th 2012 <3

Like "I Support Austramerican Relationships" on Facebook!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

As for calling, buy a magic jack get it setup with a local phone number then mail it there, then you two can call back and forth for CHEAP.

Can you explain how to do that? I've heard of it, but don't know how to do it. Other than the Magic Jack what equipment must the person abroad have? Can you retrieve phone records with it? :help:

I-129F sent July 16, 2011

NOA1 - July 21, 2011

NOA2 - December 8, 2011 (text & email with hardcopy to follow)

Packet 3 - January 5, 2012

Medical - February 20, 2012

Packet 3 sent to Embassy - February 20, 2012

Interview Date - March 27, 2012 - Approved

POE - Atlanta, GA 7/6/2012

Married! - 8/11/2012

AOS Filed - 9/14/2012

AOS NOA1 Priority Date - 9/19/2012

Biometrics Appt. - 10/10/2012

EAD/AP approval - 11/28/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.