Bad_Daddy

Male nurse fired over treating Muslim women

135 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

In Saudia Arabia they have constitution to follow, then if we move there we all have to. And in here we have a constitution which is not in question in case you are mistaken. It is a personal choice of who to see or who not to see. More specifically it is a gender issue and personal privacy. So all of us, we are humans representing all the nations of the earthy, that in mind let's use common sense and Do you have a choice as person to see what kind of doctor you would like to see?

Saudi Arabia doesn't have a constitution.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

no if it is a matter of life or death it is ok for a male to attend her

sara

Why the double standard? You can't pick and chose.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

You used the word "can" and qouted my comment on it, but still the question of the hospital perspective to funnel that funds into their institution still stands unanswered.

And the important word is "can". If you are unhappy or dissatisfied with the nature of healthcare offered at your local provider, pool your money with others in your community who feel the same way and build a facility that will cater to your specific need. Don't just assume that others will hold your beliefs to be as important as theirs in the case of medical care.

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

And this is what I am saying...

If I want medical care in accordance with my religious/cultural values and/or beliefs then it is up to me to find a PRIVATE, FOR PROFIT hospital that will accomodate my wishes.

However, if I choose to attend a medical facility that treats ALL patients, regardless of their religion or culture then I get the best trained medical professional available to me at the time of my need.

Most medical institutions treat all patients, but they are also allowed to accommodate their demographic. Catholic hospitals don't do abortions, Seventh Day Adventist hospitals observe dietary laws, hospitals commonly allow for cultural accommodations that don't interfere with treatment. It's not outside of common practice to allow patients, Muslim or non-Muslim, to request a provider based on gender.

That being said, based on the limited information provided in the article, I don't think the nurse should have been fired, but I also believe there's more to it than what has been presented.

Timeline

Most medical institutions treat all patients, but they are also allowed to accommodate their demographic. Catholic hospitals don't do abortions, Seventh Day Adventist hospitals observe dietary laws, hospitals commonly allow for cultural accommodations that don't interfere with treatment. It's not outside of common practice to allow patients, Muslim or non-Muslim, to request a provider based on gender.

That being said, based on the limited information provided in the article, I don't think the nurse should have been fired, but I also believe there's more to it than what has been presented.

Yes, they're ALLOWED to treat their demographic but they are NOT MANDAATED to do so. If the specific demographic is not satisfied with the quality of the medical treatment OR if it is NOT in accordance with their religious/cultural preference, they are free to obtain treatment that conforms to THEIR preference. As stated above, that cost is about $250 million from ground break to opening.

Anyone care to contribute to the fund?

K-1 JOURNEY

08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
01/04/2011 - Medical
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Timeline

:thumbs:

K-1 JOURNEY

08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
01/04/2011 - Medical
02/18/2012 - Wedding

Filed: Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

And the important word is "can". If you are unhappy or dissatisfied with the nature of healthcare offered at your local provider, pool your money with others in your community who feel the same way and build a facility that will cater to your specific need. Don't just assume that others will hold your beliefs to be as important as theirs in the case of medical care.

Here we go..... I do not assume that other will hold my beliefs as important as their to them, nor do I want them do the otherwise. And this topic is not that complicated as many think. But when I go to the hospital I do not question them how they serve their patients and my needs are served... becuase I do not care that service as long as they can afford it and my tax deductions stay the same. I hope you get the implications.........

Timeline

Yes, they're ALLOWED to treat their demographic but they are NOT MANDAATED to do so. If the specific demographic is not satisfied with the quality of the medical treatment OR if it is NOT in accordance with their religious/cultural preference, they are free to obtain treatment that conforms to THEIR preference. As stated above, that cost is about $250 million from ground break to opening.

Anyone care to contribute to the fund?

Yes I can..... I agree that is not mandatory for the hospital to make any accomadations if they choose to as I said it before no oblitation whatsoever as long as you have a professional medical personell in that field no gender, no race and religion is preferred. This is does not mean they cannot accomadate a certain community by only adjusting their personell capacities, retain the community and keep that $250,000 million for their institution. Who let that money go away at the door........Plus....It is also cheaper for the community not to build a hospital since the money is not leaving at one day..... It is all economic and convinience..... At the same... we do not know a lot about the Nurse was fired.. I mean the details... his employee agreements.... all that... and I hope he comes over this and find a better hope ......

Timeline

Here we go..... I do not assume that other will hold my beliefs as important as their to them, nor do I want them do the otherwise. And this topic is not that complicated as many think. But when I go to the hospital I do not question them how they serve their patients and my needs are served... becuase I do not care that service as long as they can afford it and my tax deductions stay the same. I hope you get the implications.........

The implication should be "hmmm, if I am dying and I arrive at a hospital, can they save my life?"

Now - on to the subject that YOU raised...

No - your beliefs are not as important as mine, at least in my mind's eye. Nor are my beliefs as important to you as they are me.

But that is irrevalant as to this post. I would hope that our belief's DO NOT matter to the person atempting to save your life or mine. I would only hope that an equal effort was made to save you as to save me - nothing more, nothing less.

In the course of choosing non-emergency medical providers, knock yourself out and find one who's values and/or religious/cultural values you hold dear. There are many out there - BUT when it comes to lifesaving it should not matter to my Dr. if I pray to Jesus or Allah.

K-1 JOURNEY

08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
01/04/2011 - Medical
02/18/2012 - Wedding

Timeline

The implication should be "hmmm, if I am dying and I arrive at a hospital, can they save my life?"

Now - on to the subject that YOU raised...

No - your beliefs are not as important as mine, at least in my mind's eye. Nor are my beliefs as important to you as they are me.

But that is irrevalant as to this post. I would hope that our belief's DO NOT matter to the person atempting to save your life or mine. I would only hope that an equal effort was made to save you as to save me - nothing more, nothing less.

In the course of choosing non-emergency medical providers, knock yourself out and find one who's values and/or religious/cultural values you hold dear. There are many out there - BUT when it comes to lifesaving it should not matter to my Dr. if I pray to Jesus or Allah.

I could not agree on this one more....when it comes to lifesaving it should not matter to my Dr. if I pray to Jesus or Allah.... this is when the medical personel make their decisions of who can save lives.......

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

These are the best parts of this version of the article:

<<<""Benitez, 63, of Madison Heights, worked at the city's taxpayer-funded health clinic....">>>

AND

<<<"The city closed the clinic June 30 amid budget cuts. ">>>

<<<"

Detroit— A male nurse filed a sex discrimination lawsuit against the city of Dearborn on Wednesday, claiming he was fired for treating conservative Muslim women wearing head scarves.

John Benitez Jr. is suing for unspecified damages and to reclaim his job, according to the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court.

Benitez, 63, of Madison Heights, worked at the city's taxpayer-funded health clinic. He alleges he was ordered by a female supervisor not to treat conservative Muslim women, specifically those wearing head scarves, according to the lawsuit. He was told the clinic's male Muslim clientele did not want a male treating female patients.

He complied until November 2010, when a doctor ordered him to treat Muslim women as he would any other patient. Benitez followed the doctor's order and was fired less than one month later, according to the lawsuit.

"When you get to the point that taxpayer-funded entities are having to comply with personal religious beliefs rather than letting people do their job you're going down a road that does not end in a good place," the nurse's lawyer Deborah Gordon said in an interview Wednesday. "If people don't want to be treated, they can go find their own practitioner."

The city closed the clinic June 30 amid budget cuts.

A Dearborn spokeswoman declined comment.

Hospitals and health clinics routinely make accommodations based on religion, said Dawud Walid, executive director of the Michigan chapter of the Council of American-Islamic Relations.

"In general, unless it is for emergency situations, many Muslims would prefer being screened and touched by someone of the same gender," Walid said. "If he was fired based upon an order from a supervisor, that obviously would be unjust."

rsnell@detnews.com

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111123/METRO01/111230411/Male-nurse-sues-after-firing-for-treating-Muslim-women#ixzz1ewhFL192

">>>

So....This is a tax-money funded clinic with non-paying customers wanting specialized treatment. NOT emergency care. NOT urgent care. NOT self-pay for getting what you want.

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Timeline

These are the best parts of this version of the article:

<<<""Benitez, 63, of Madison Heights, worked at the city's taxpayer-funded health clinic....">>>

AND

<<<"The city closed the clinic June 30 amid budget cuts. ">>>

<<<"

Detroit— A male nurse filed a sex discrimination lawsuit against the city of Dearborn on Wednesday, claiming he was fired for treating conservative Muslim women wearing head scarves.

John Benitez Jr. is suing for unspecified damages and to reclaim his job, according to the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court.

Benitez, 63, of Madison Heights, worked at the city's taxpayer-funded health clinic. He alleges he was ordered by a female supervisor not to treat conservative Muslim women, specifically those wearing head scarves, according to the lawsuit. He was told the clinic's male Muslim clientele did not want a male treating female patients.

He complied until November 2010, when a doctor ordered him to treat Muslim women as he would any other patient. Benitez followed the doctor's order and was fired less than one month later, according to the lawsuit.

"When you get to the point that taxpayer-funded entities are having to comply with personal religious beliefs rather than letting people do their job you're going down a road that does not end in a good place," the nurse's lawyer Deborah Gordon said in an interview Wednesday. "If people don't want to be treated, they can go find their own practitioner."

The city closed the clinic June 30 amid budget cuts.

A Dearborn spokeswoman declined comment.

Hospitals and health clinics routinely make accommodations based on religion, said Dawud Walid, executive director of the Michigan chapter of the Council of American-Islamic Relations.

"In general, unless it is for emergency situations, many Muslims would prefer being screened and touched by someone of the same gender," Walid said. "If he was fired based upon an order from a supervisor, that obviously would be unjust."

rsnell@detnews.com

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111123/METRO01/111230411/Male-nurse-sues-after-firing-for-treating-Muslim-women#ixzz1ewhFL192

">>>

So....This is a tax-money funded clinic with non-paying customers wanting specialized treatment. NOT emergency care. NOT urgent care. NOT self-pay for getting what you want.

There are many complications and irregularities here....if these are actual reall details based on the truth...

1. first of all, the poor nurse has to get his real job back..... because what has caused the problem is the clinic's management.They gave conflicting orders to thier employee. The chain of management and roles should have been clarified......Who does what and who does not......

2. TAx-payer funded hospital.........This is the argument of the lawyer........ and the bases of their fight....

3. Clinic was closed.... another sad story....

Then I am run out of gass unless I hear the story of the other side..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

If it is a matter of life and death i am not able to make the choice myself so anyone that attends me is acceptable.

If its not a matter of life or death why cant I? and how is that a double standard? there are many non muslim women that dont want a male attendant as well.

sara

Edited by sara.....

Iv'e never had a problem with a female doctor sticking her hand under my testicles and asking me to cough.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

There are many complications and irregularities here....if these are actual reall details based on the truth...

1. first of all, the poor nurse has to get his real job back..... because what has caused the problem is the clinic's management.They gave conflicting orders to thier employee. The chain of management and roles should have been clarified......Who does what and who does not......

2. TAx-payer funded hospital.........This is the argument of the lawyer........ and the bases of their fight....

3. Clinic was closed.... another sad story....

Then I am run out of gass unless I hear the story of the other side..

"worked at the city's taxpayer-funded health clinic."

And THAT is the crux of my position...

God bless those who face Mecca to pray, or those who celebrate the Sabboth, or those who believe Jesus is their Savior. BUT - when it comes to MY tax dollars, "In God we trust, all others must use cash"...

What I am trying to say, what I have said all throughout this post is that EVERYONE is entitled to medical care that caters to their religious and/or cultural beliefs, as soon as you build and fund your own hospitals. Until then, simply HOPE that you get a medical professional that will accurately assess you, diagnose you and cure you whether he/she prays to your God or not.

Edited by az110965

K-1 JOURNEY

08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
01/04/2011 - Medical
02/18/2012 - Wedding