Bad_Daddy

Male nurse fired over treating Muslim women

135 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Sara,

I respect your right to practice your religion and I do not question your beliefs - America was founded on the basis of freedom of religious persecution...

In my younger days I was a paramedic. I can tell you that when responding to a call I never thought to myself "wow - she is is hot". My priority was providing the best medical care I could for the patient and not having them die on me (I took it very personally when a patient died under my care).

In addition, I have many female friends who are nurses in varying specialities. None has never mentioned anything about Muslims having different body parts than other religions and their standard response is "you've seen one, you've seen them all".

About a year ago I suffered a significant injury to my groin when I was at work. I needed to go to the ER and be treated. My nurse was female, the ER doctor was female and the resident that followed the doctor and witnessed my exam was female. So it was me, my swollen groin and 3 females in the exam room. I was in so much pain that the last thing on my mind was that I was naked from the waist down and surrounded by 3 women. All I wanted in life was to be out of pain. They were professional and sex was the last thing on anyone's mind.

My point is that while America needs to be receptive to the differences we have and embrace our cultural/religious diversity, it does NOT mean that standards in medicine need to be adapted to suit the minority.

I hope you understand that my intent is not to offend you or anyone else, but if the worst thing that ever occurs in your life is that a male nurse attends to you when you are sick or suffering then it is indeed not a bad life.

I'm not offended at all because it is very difficult for non Muslims to understand the challenges that being a Muslim has.

but stop and think its as much for own protection against our own minds .........young Muslim girl that has never had physical contact from a male other than her father as a small child or her brother in normal family activities ....from my personal down falls I would so love to have my brothers doctor if i was not constantly fighting my own private thoughts cuz trust me that is one hot male :D

sara

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

I'm not offended at all because it is very difficult for non Muslims to understand the challenges that being a Muslim has.

but stop and think its as much for own protection against our own minds .........young Muslim girl that has never had physical contact from a male other than her father as a small child or her brother in normal family activities ....from my personal down falls I would so love to have my brothers doctor if i was not constantly fighting my own private thoughts cuz trust me that is one hot male :D

sara

Sara,

Glad you and I could have an exchange without it getting heated and argumentative. PLUS - you made me laugh with your last sentence about your brother's doctor!

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Filed: Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

As an experienced medical employee. Patients have choices who to see and who not to see as well as their families since it is their lives in the line. And if a community requested certain services from the hospital and the management knew about, implemented them, trained their employees, informed them. It seems the Nurse broke the local hospital law. There is no coercion in this country. If someone wanna see only females or males it is their choice. But there are times that the patients do not have choices, Example, an injured women and lack of female or a complicated procedure that needs an expertise or an urgent care, then it then becomes the professional responsibility of the medical community to save lives. But when they are walking normally it becomes their choice who to see. This country is founded on freedom, all races are equal as well as religions constitutionally.

Timeline

As an experienced medical employee. Patients have choices who to see and who not to see as well as their families since it is their lives in the line. And if a community requested certain services from the hospital and the management knew about, implemented them, trained their employees, informed them. It seems the Nurse broke the local hospital law. There is no coercion in this country. If someone wanna see only females or males it is their choice. But there are times that the patients do not have choices, Example, an injured women and lack of female or a complicated procedure that needs an expertise or an urgent care, then it then becomes the professional responsibility of the medical community to save lives. But when they are walking normally it becomes their choice who to see. This country is founded on freedom, all races are equal as well as religions constitutionally.

I'm sort of cunfused by your post.

Are you saying that hospitals should change their standards to accomodate the minority or are you saying that different cultures/religions need to adapt to US practices?

Please clarify your post.

Thanks.

K-1 JOURNEY

08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
01/04/2011 - Medical
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Timeline

This is what I am. Saying.

I have worked in many different medical practices that the served for many commnunities with ethnically different backgrounds. And here is what happens. A community will come to thier hospital and will explain their needs which they would like their hospital to cover. Then the hospital will either accept the request to cover the needs or due to its capacity tells the community why not to. This also depends what type of hospital ( governmental or privates)

a.Let's say the hospital accepts request: policy change of the hospital follows and employees follow the rules

b. Hospital does not accept the request for whatever the reason is: Then the community should not expect that service when visiting the hospital

To be very clear, if a patient requested pediatric Budhist nurse and you as the head manager promised that, then you have to fulfil your promise. Because you made it your burden. This is applies to non lethal medical cases only.

When a patient calls for a ambulance, you send them what you got and they should be greatful.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My point is that while America needs to be receptive to the differences we have and embrace our cultural/religious diversity, it does NOT mean that standards in medicine need to be adapted to suit the minority.

Alas, in Deerborn - they ARE the majority, not the minority.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

This is what I am. Saying.

I have worked in many different medical practices that the served for many commnunities with ethnically different backgrounds. And here is what happens. A community will come to thier hospital and will explain their needs which they would like their hospital to cover. Then the hospital will either accept the request to cover the needs or due to its capacity tells the community why not to. This also depends what type of hospital ( governmental or privates)

a.Let's say the hospital accepts request: policy change of the hospital follows and employees follow the rules

b. Hospital does not accept the request for whatever the reason is: Then the community should not expect that service when visiting the hospital

To be very clear, if a patient requested pediatric Budhist nurse and you as the head manager promised that, then you have to fulfil your promise. Because you made it your burden. This is applies to non lethal medical cases only.

When a patient calls for a ambulance, you send them what you got and they should be greatful.

And this is what I am saying...

If I want medical care in accordance with my religious/cultural values and/or beliefs then it is up to me to find a PRIVATE, FOR PROFIT hospital that will accomodate my wishes.

However, if I choose to attend a medical facility that treats ALL patients, regardless of their religion or culture then I get the best trained medical professional available to me at the time of my need.

K-1 JOURNEY

08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
01/04/2011 - Medical
02/18/2012 - Wedding

Timeline

If I was a woman moving to Saudi Arabia I would not expect them to change the cultural norms to suit my personal needs/beliefs. When I visit another country I go by their rules. If you don't like the cultural norms in this country hey no problem - but for crying-out-loud don't move here.

In this case the man was given two sets of conflicting instructions by two different doctors. Looking back he probably should have gotten together with the doctors and said something like "Hey! what exactly is the policy for males treating Muslim women? Can we write that down somewhere?"

Not that this would have solved the problem.... because according to the article it was not the women that had a problem but the Muslim men. He was not let go for violating any orders but because his role in general was not conducent to having a male perform it given the people who frequent the facility.... Kinda like having a male stripper at the local gentlemen's club: No policy or amount of talent is going to solve the underlying problem.

In Saudia Arabia they have constitution to follow, then if we move there we all have to. And in here we have a constitution which is not in question in case you are mistaken. It is a personal choice of who to see or who not to see. More specifically it is a gender issue and personal privacy. So all of us, we are humans representing all the nations of the earthy, that in mind let's use common sense and Do you have a choice as person to see what kind of doctor you would like to see?

Timeline

Acknowledged. If in fact Muslims are the predominent religious demographic locally then a MUSLIM based hospital is welcome to open - wherein the needs of that community will be accorded.

Is there such a place in Deerborn? If not, why? If so - problem solved. Last time I saw, here in the Cleveland, Ohio area the cost to build a new hospital from the gound up is approximately $250 million. Should be a no-brainer to build a private, either FOR profit or NON-profit facility that caters to the needs of the Muslim community.

I am not an expert but I believe religious orthadox Jews have similar views about the privacy of the woman's body for the husband only. I wonder what the outcry would be if a Jew cried foul that a Gentile examined one of them.

K-1 JOURNEY

08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
01/04/2011 - Medical
02/18/2012 - Wedding

Timeline

y'all are forgetting majority rule, here, in a local fashion.

Study who's on the board at that hospital - you'll get a really good sense of 'why' a bit of Sharia law is imposed locally.

Come on - it's all in public records..

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

It is not changing the standard of medical practice. Every medical practice in this country suits their community to serve them better, no matter what side it is either East coast or West coast and that is what makes them the finest of the world.

Timeline

i sense 'standard of medical practice' is not what's at question, here.

But that's ok. Seriously - majority rule, in a local fashion, on this one.

Timeline

y'all are forgetting majority rule, here, in a local fashion.

Study who's on the board at that hospital - you'll get a really good sense of 'why' a bit of Sharia law is imposed locally.

Come on - it's all in public records..

I have not googled it, nor am I going to. But if in fact it is a Muslim board of directors then they can build a "Muslim wing" or something to that effect. I am sure the local Muslim community would pony up to collect the necessary funding for construction of a portion of the hospital dedicated solely to the treatment of Muslims in accordance with their traditions and religion. See - problem solved.

So - if say the local Muslim population was 1,000,0000 and it costs 250 million to build and open a wing to treat them, simply mail your tax deductible check for $250 to the hospital.

Edited by az110965

K-1 JOURNEY

08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
01/04/2011 - Medical
02/18/2012 - Wedding

Timeline

And this is what I am saying...

If I want medical care in accordance with my religious/cultural values and/or beliefs then it is up to me to find a PRIVATE, FOR PROFIT hospital that will accomodate my wishes.

However, if I choose to attend a medical facility that treats ALL patients, regardless of their religion or culture then I get the best trained medical professional available to me at the time of my need.

Then here is the logicall question. I requested to see only the Budhist MD available that also speaks my language, becuase we share a lot in common. The hospital accomodated my request and set the appointment for me. What is your problem that you are against that service to be delivered. And to be clear the service is available quantatively.