Freedove7

My petitioner doesnt pay taxes..Will this be an issue ?

105 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Haiti
Timeline

Yes, definitely.

But why if he no longer works there ?What purpose will that serve? We dont mind sending it but we're just curious as to how 2008 and 2009's income tax will show he could support me if he changed jobs and has a lesser salary now.

Adjustment of Status from TPS to Permanent Resident

Married on December 28,2007 <3

01/18/2012 Sent I130 to USCIS

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/11/2012 Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

4/23/2012 Biometric Appointment notice received

5/4/2012 Biometrics completed & the real waiting game begins !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

But why if he no longer works there ?What purpose will that serve? We dont mind sending it but we're just curious as to how 2008 and 2009's income tax will show he could support me if he changed jobs and has a lesser salary now.

It shows two things.. he has filed taxes like he should AND he continues to work consistently helping the officers to see that the salary is continuous

Edited by EAbbas

10/02/2010 Nikah/Marriage in Karachi
USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
03/24/2011 i 130 approved!!!
NVC JOURNEY
03/30/2011 NVC received case-04/07/2011 NVC Case Number Assigned
05/03/2011 CASE COMPLETE- In Que for INTERVIEW!!-05/17/2011 Received interview letter and info via email
EMBASSY JOURNEY
05/20/2011 Medical Appt/passed
06/15/2011 Interview result AP
06/21/2011 Submitted requested docs..under review
07/25/2011 CO called did phone interview result: PENDING MANDATORY AP/CO told us they have to do namechecks

03/07/2013 Case returned to USCIS waiting for NOIR/reaffirmation

04/18/2013 USCIS received case for review

08/19/2013 Received NOIR to respond by 9/18/2013

9/9/2013 Responded to NOIR/USCIS received documents awaiting response

9/20/2013 USCIS reaffirmed sent to embassy

1/04/14 Case opened for review

8/31/15 Interview- no questions visa approved on the spot

9/8/15 visa status issued

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Not knowing your case, I'd say he potentially risks to lose his U.S. citizenship because of this. Part of the N-400 process is to make a statement under oath that he never failed to file a required income tax return. The way I interpret your post, that's exactly what he did: fail to file. If so, he would be guilty of perjury and material misrepresentation which potentially will strip him of everything he worked for and may result in his deportation.

Listen, life as an I.O. is boring. If I was the I.O., I would grab this and make my life exiting. I would rip his balls out and use one of them to get the big ball rolling. Heck, it could even get me a promotion! When he's down, I would look at you at the AoS interview and ask you: "are you serious? AoS denied!"

Since there are more people like me, the first thing I suggest you do is figure out if he was require to file an income tax return. If he was required to do so and hasn't filed and has committed perjury under Oath, I'd say he needs to get busy fast, most likely with the help of an attorney.

Many Americans are stupid. Immigration Officers are usually not among them.

Once again, we can clearly be glad you are not employed by USCIS.

Actually it would be kind of funny if you were, because you would soon find yourself out of a job.

Another example of why we should be able to give a Minus One to posts.

Americans file an income tax return every year, no matter who they work for. You can change jobs 10 times in a year and it still doesn't matter. The IRS does not care who you worked for last. They tax the dollars you earn, no matter where they come from.

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Freedove, I think you might want to consider shifting this issue from your perspective to that of the people working for USCIS. The interview and the process before is kind of a show of intent. Instead of deliberating why you shouldn't have to do something - make your life easier and do it. It will be a lot less hassle.

I'm absolutely aware that there is sound (and sometimes not so sound) reasoning behind every issue mentioned here on the board, but in your case I'd ask myself why risking some weird and uncomfortable discussion with a stranger who "holds my future in his/her hands". They are people and if they are of the same mindset as some people here - you can tell them whatever you want, if their mind is set on making an issue out of something they will. Why do that to yourself?

Does the paperwork that anyone of us show whether we are really married? No, not really. Why do they want to see it? I can't say. But instead of arguing the point just go along with ii, drown them in papers and it will make this journey easier for you.

All done ;-)

Filed: Other Timeline

Actually it would be kind of funny if you were, because you would soon find yourself out of a job.

You are entitled to your opinion.

I'm sure there are quite a few rather strict and thorough Immigration Officers working for the USCIS. Exposing somebody who obtained U.S. citizenship by means of tax evasion and perjury while trying to obtain immigration benefits for another person is surely part of the scope of work and something we, the taxpayers, expect an I.O. to do. Doing one's job well is reason for a promotion, not for being fired.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

FreeDove7 -

ask him to show you last year's 1099 and/or W-2 forms. soonish.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

You are entitled to your opinion.

I'm sure there are quite a few rather strict and thorough Immigration Officers working for the USCIS. Exposing somebody who obtained U.S. citizenship by means of tax evasion and perjury while trying to obtain immigration benefits for another person is surely part of the scope of work and something we, the taxpayers, expect an I.O. to do. Doing one's job well is reason for a promotion, not for being fired.

Missing one year of filing is hardly "tax evasion", especially if our friend's husband gets on it right now and files.

You clearly have no idea how status adjustments are approved. The supervisor of the AO also has to sign off on the decision. This is how zealotry is kept in check.

The US is not a gulag. I'd appreciate if you would stop trying to strike terror into the hearts of new residents of our country with your "out there" ideas.

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Timeline

Missing one year of filing is hardly "tax evasion", especially if our friend's husband gets on it right now and files.

You clearly have no idea how status adjustments are approved. The supervisor of the AO also has to sign off on the decision. This is how zealotry is kept in check.

The US is not a gulag. I'd appreciate if you would stop trying to strike terror into the hearts of new residents of our country with your "out there" ideas.

Well said :-)

Americans file an income tax return every year, no matter who they work for. You can change jobs 10 times in a year and it still doesn't matter. The IRS does not care who you worked for last. They tax the dollars you earn, no matter where they come from.

Understood !

It shows two things.. he has filed taxes like he should AND he continues to work consistently helping the officers to see that the salary is continuous

I understand now.

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

While I agree that with new facts it does not sound like tax evasion so much as some bad planning and misinformation, the OP's original posts stated that he was working under the table and had not filed in years and was looking for ways to get around having to do so, which sounds a lot more like tax evasion to me.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

While I agree that with new facts it does not sound like tax evasion so much as some bad planning and misinformation, the OP's original posts stated that he was working under the table and had not filed in years and was looking for ways to get around having to do so, which sounds a lot more like tax evasion to me.

The dude needs to take care of his tax problem for sure. But we can't tell (from the information given) if he would even be required to file. If he files smartly as a self-employed person he may owe little taxes to begin with.

I just don't think it is fair to jump to conclusions with the information we have.

Timeline

Freedove, I think you might want to consider shifting this issue from your perspective to that of the people working for USCIS. The interview and the process before is kind of a show of intent. Instead of deliberating why you shouldn't have to do something - make your life easier and do it. It will be a lot less hassle.

I'm absolutely aware that there is sound (and sometimes not so sound) reasoning behind every issue mentioned here on the board, but in your case I'd ask myself why risking some weird and uncomfortable discussion with a stranger who "holds my future in his/her hands". They are people and if they are of the same mindset as some people here - you can tell them whatever you want, if their mind is set on making an issue out of something they will. Why do that to yourself?

Does the paperwork that anyone of us show whether we are really married? No, not really. Why do they want to see it? I can't say. But instead of arguing the point just go along with ii, drown them in papers and it will make this journey easier for you.

Lol you got that right ! They really do have my future in their hands .

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

Filed: Timeline

The US locks up more people per capita than any other country in the world.

The step up to tax evasion is solely a matter of intent. Did her husband willfully fail to file? If she's saying that he "doesn't pay his taxes," it sounds willful to me.

The IRS rarely sends people to jail, but they do ensure that they get every penny within one's means.

As Bob pointed out, if this comes to light on the USCIS side, it could have serious immigration effects, up to denaturalization--and the current taxpayer mindset does not respect these types of immigrants.

USCIS is terrible at finding out information on their own, but they are masters at finding inconsistencies in what you tell them. He said he never failed to file a return? And now he's filing a late return that he supposedly filed before? Interesting...

The US locks up more people per capita than any other country in the world.

The step up to tax evasion is solely a matter of intent. Did her husband willfully fail to file? If she's saying that he "doesn't pay his taxes," it sounds willful to me.

The IRS rarely sends people to jail, but they do ensure that they get every penny within one's means.

As Bob pointed out, if this comes to light on the USCIS side, it could have serious immigration effects, up to denaturalization--and the current taxpayer mindset does not respect these types of immigrants.

USCIS is terrible at finding out information on their own, but they are masters at finding inconsistencies in what you tell them. He said he never failed to file a return? And now he's filing a late return that he supposedly filed before? Interesting...

That's it, keep hammering away at something you know little or nothing about.

I don't have a problem with the OP being told they need to take care of their situation pronto. I don't have a problem with the OP being told their husband better get his taxes taken care of before he signs his name to any other immigration paperwork. I don't have a problem with you finding all this "interesting".

I do have a problem with somebody coming into the thread and acting like the Almighty Immigration God, swooping down from the heavens with his mighty sword and especially "ripping (her husband's) balls out".

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Maybe there should be a lot less 'judging' here - and I can't really say more helping - because there is more than a lot of help here.

We are talking about one missing tax-return; a situation that can easily be resolved. We are not talking about anything else. Yes, maybe the original post was written somewhat unfortunate and misleading, but that can happen. No reason to get judgmental, and no reason to ride this horse to death. OP has cleared up the original issue, received responses, and knows what to do. That is all that is necessary.

All done ;-)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

hey - any eyeball review for 1099, W-2 tax documents from 2011, or they just ain't available?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.