Freedove7

My petitioner doesnt pay taxes..Will this be an issue ?

105 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Freedove, both of you have to think long-term. First of all, your husband cheats himself out of retirement benefits. Second, if he has no sound reasoning behind it, it might be a problem at the interview. Also, in two years both of you have to go to another interview - what if he gets caught not paying taxes? You gonna tell USCIS he couldn't make the interview because he is in jail? I think this is a bit short-sighted. You might want to reconsider filing at least for last year - the taxes won't kill you - instead it might make you sleep better...

All done ;-)

You are in the country illegally and have been for a very long time and your husband who is also your petitioner for some reason doesn't file taxes.

This may be one of the cases where hiring a lawyer may become necessary.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

No one can say with certainty how an adjudicating officer will act. With a joint sponsor there may be less scrutiny of the petitioner's I-864. USCIS won't share information with the IRS.

The biggest potential problem in this scenario is at an interview if the OP is asked about their spouse's work. If their answer does not match the information provided (and the interviewing officer is really paying attention to the information presented in the petitioner's affidavit of support) it is a possible problem.

Not being truthful (lying) at the interview can have significant consequences. Worst case scenario: material misrepresentations (lying) can result in a ban.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I take it you have been through the AOS process yourself?

I am startingit.....and exactly why are you singling me out...Otherpeople on this thread are saying this is a problem. Either way NOT filing your taxes will come back on them. And asothers have stated that this can be a problem. SHe is worried because she has cause to be worried. Whether with USCIS or IRS....take your pick.....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

No one can say with certainty how an adjudicating officer will act. With a joint sponsor there may be less scrutiny of the petitioner's I-864. USCIS won't share information with the IRS.

The biggest potential problem in this scenario is at an interview if the OP is asked about their spouse's work. If their answer does not match the information provided (and the interviewing officer is really paying attention to the information presented in the petitioner's affidavit of support) it is a possible problem.

Not being truthful (lying) at the interview can have significant consequences. Worst case scenario: material misrepresentations (lying) can result in a ban.

agreed.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am startingit.....and exactly why are you singling me out...Otherpeople on this thread are saying this is a problem. Either way NOT filing your taxes will come back on them. And asothers have stated that this can be a problem. SHe is worried because she has cause to be worried. Whether with USCIS or IRS....take your pick.....

She has cause to worry but not from an immigration standpoint on this particular issue. You have on multiple posts have said she does, was just curious about your experience level in AOS. You answered my question, you don't have any.

YMMV

Filed: Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

From my point of view. this is a bigger legal issue, and if I were you I would consult a laywer (immigration expert lawyer) with your petitioner before doing anything stupid. All these replies are only opinions against each other, so take them as just an information but your steps must be based on the advises of the legal experts of the law. .... Remember that you need a financially solid Co-sponsor in your case. this is my opinion and you cannot qoute me in the court of law

Timeline

Not necessarily. There is no guarantee they won't receive an RFE requesting the husband's tax returns, even if they have a cosponsor. They may not, but they quite possibly could. Here are two cases on VJ alone where a co-sponsor was used but nonetheless an RFE was received for the US citizen's tax returns.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/296877-rfe-i-864-from-wife-student/

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/183202-i-485-rfe/

Now, the OP's husband can either file the taxes now and include the returns with their application. Or they can file without using a cosponsor, hope they don't get an RFE, and if they do have to rush to get it done, sent back in, and hopefully accepted or risk getting their application denied.

facts are quite different. case #1 the spouse did not provide an I-864 at all. Case2 the I-864's had income noted without the proper support.

YMMV

facts are quite different. case #1 the spouse did not provide an I-864 at all. Case2 the I-864's had income noted without the proper support.

Yes, but the OP's husband MUST file an 864 as well, so he will also have income noted without proper support just like in the second case. I'm not sure how they could get around it without lying.

Again, I'm not saying they WILL get an RFE. I'm saying they COULD get an RFE, and they have to determine if that is a chance they are willing to take.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

You MUST put down his income on the 864 and if you try to cover it up by saying he has $0 income, you could be denied for lying to USCIS and banned.

Honestly...I don't understand what your husband is playing at. He could go to jail for this (willfully not filing for taxes) and his wife could be deported if he tries to misrepresent himself (not to mention that you've been out of status for many years). Does he not realize what kind of fire he is playing? It sounds pretty selfish, IMO.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Timeline

You MUST put down his income on the 864 and if you try to cover it up by saying he has $0 income, you could be denied for lying to USCIS and banned.

Honestly...I don't understand what your husband is playing at. He could go to jail for this (willfully not filing for taxes) and his wife could be deported if he tries to misrepresent himself (not to mention that you've been out of status for many years). Does he not realize what kind of fire he is playing? It sounds pretty selfish, IMO.

So you are saying that they will be denied for under reporting there income?

When I filled out the I-864, I did not report any assets... did I commit misrepresentation?

YMMV

So you are saying that they will be denied for under reporting there income?

When I filled out the I-864, I did not report any assets... did I commit misrepresentation?

No. The instructions clearly state you only need to include assets IF you are using them to meet the income guidelines. But the instructions ALSO clearly state that anyone who was required to file taxes and did not MUST file back taxes AND include documentation from IRS to this effect BEFORE filing the 864.

Perhaps it's not required to report income but I can't imagine lying on a government document and saying you don't work when you do, for the purpose of evading paying taxes, is allowable.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Freedove, both of you have to think long-term. First of all, your husband cheats himself out of retirement benefits. Second, if he has no sound reasoning behind it, it might be a problem at the interview. Also, in two years both of you have to go to another interview - what if he gets caught not paying taxes? You gonna tell USCIS he couldn't make the interview because he is in jail? I think this is a bit short-sighted. You might want to reconsider filing at least for last year - the taxes won't kill you - instead it might make you sleep better...

Second that, the short-sighted part. AOS will likely proceed with co-sponsor without much problems at all; but that does not "clean" up the tax problem (which is an entirely different problem and one not the focus of VJ). Besides the long term implications on social security, medicaid, etc; there is something here that is (or should be) important: to follow the law. (tax laws in this case).

USCIS does not share records with IRS, so you both are 'safe' there; but you are doing yourself a big disfavor by being accessory to a possible tax fraud (can't say it is, as no one here except your husband knows his actual income and deductions, etc).

Filed: Country: Haiti
Timeline

Well in the future don't do that... because then the mods will need to merge the threads ... oh wait, they already did

Leasson learned ! Lol

Adjustment of Status from TPS to Permanent Resident

Married on December 28,2007 <3

01/18/2012 Sent I130 to USCIS

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/11/2012 Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

4/23/2012 Biometric Appointment notice received

5/4/2012 Biometrics completed & the real waiting game begins !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.