Freedove7

My petitioner doesnt pay taxes..Will this be an issue ?

105 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I am guessing you came here and you guys got married ....then doing AOS. But he willhave a hardtime explaining why he has a job and not filing taxes. we all have to file individually...he would get a 1099 and file if he is a contractor and they pay him without taking taxes. Him getting letters from his employers may raise questions as to why he doesnt file taxes. I would get ajoint sponsor....if i was you!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am guessing you came here and you guys got married ....then doing AOS. But he willhave a hardtime explaining why he has a job and not filing taxes. we all have to file individually...he would get a 1099 and file if he is a contractor and they pay him without taking taxes. Him getting letters from his employers may raise questions as to why he doesnt file taxes. I would get ajoint sponsor....if i was you!

Who will he have a hard time explaining to? If you are referring to the IRS then I agree, but they are not involved here the USCIS is.

The USCIS will simply be looking to see if they have a qualified sponsor and ultimately an approvable I-485. They will not be making judgement calls about someone's tax filing compliance or non compliance, it is not there job.

YMMV

i heard that once you have a joint sponsor, your petitioners financial information is no longer of concern to them, the big issue they have is who is gonna take care of you if you need help? the answer is the joint sponsor, thats all they wanna know, they know that all types of people fall in love and get married, unemployed and poor people, so they shouldnt hold that against a couple once they have the joint sponsor

6/29/12 AOS Package mailed Chicago Lockbox

7/01/12 Package delivered

7/09/12 NOA email notification

7/14/12 Received hard copy of NOA in the mail

7/16/12 Received biometric appointment letter for 8/01/12

7/23/12 Successful walk in Biometrics

8/15/12 Received email for interview notice

8/17/12 Received interview notice in the mail

9/10/12 EAD card ordered, (didnt get email or text checked it on USCIS website)

9/18/12 EAD card received in the mail

9/18/12 Interview done, approved on the spot!

9/19/12 Got email that approval notice was mailed out on 9/18/12

9/22/12 Received Approval notice in the mail

9/24/12 Got email that greencard was sent in the mail

9/26/12 Received greencard in the mail, thank you lord!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Who will he have a hard time explaining to? If you are referring to the IRS then I agree, but they are not involved here the USCIS is.

The USCIS will simply be looking to see if they have a qualified sponsor and ultimately an approvable I-485. They will not be making judgement calls about someone's tax filing compliance or non compliance, it is not there job.

Yes but he has to turn in his Tax returns as well even if they get a sponsor and USCIS will not do anything tohim, but can cause them not to be believed. This is about them getting through AOS. And he will have to submit his information too. BUt with no information...that can cause aproblem.

Filed: Country: Haiti
Timeline

Well we didn't just move here recently.I have been in the U.S. for 18 year since (I came here at a young age)and he has been here for about 12 years.We got married almost 4 years ago.I hope my chances of finally getting my green card doesnt get jeopordize by the fact that he doesnt pay taxes.Your saying getting a co sponsor will solve this issue right?

Adjustment of Status from TPS to Permanent Resident

Married on December 28,2007 <3

01/18/2012 Sent I130 to USCIS

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/11/2012 Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

4/23/2012 Biometric Appointment notice received

5/4/2012 Biometrics completed & the real waiting game begins !

Timeline

Yes but he has to turn in his Tax returns as well even if they get a sponsor and USCIS will not do anything tohim, but can cause them not to be believed. This is about them getting through AOS. And he will have to submit his information too. BUt with no information...that can cause aproblem.

Who says he has to show tax returns? He can submit an i-864 that does not show adequate proof income and they will simply move on to the joint sponsor who does.

YMMV

Timeline

You've just lifted so much weight off my shoulders right now! Im such a worrier,but now Im feeling more optimistic :-)

Why did you start a new thread? Did you think the answers would be different?

No. I just more answers .

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

I hope you're right .I hope all goes well

Think twice before you take that risk. You may end up with an RFE for those tax returns and if you can't produce them within the time period USCIS allots, your application will be denied.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

duplicate topics have been merged

please do not make more than one topic about the same issue.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

i heard that once you have a joint sponsor, your petitioners financial information is no longer of concern to them, the big issue they have is who is gonna take care of you if you need help? the answer is the joint sponsor, thats all they wanna know, they know that all types of people fall in love and get married, unemployed and poor people, so they shouldnt hold that against a couple once they have the joint sponsor

This is the only issue that is worrying me right now.However I do have a joint sponsor who is willing to sponsor me.I can't wait till this is over.What do you suggest we do.Does he still have to fill out the affidavit? Do we put his income or leave it blank ? He doesnt get a paid a fixed amount of money every week.It varies.Do we just put the least amount

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

He says the company files for taxes.What is the purpose of a Joint Sponsor? He became an American Citizen this year with no problem,why might him not paying for taxes pose a problem with my AoS application ?

A joint sponsor is to prove an immigrant will not become a public charge if the petitioner doesn't meet poverty guidelines, not to help with tax evasion. Even if the company pays his taxes, he has to file. He just wouldn't OWE.

Filing back taxes is not that difficult nor that time consuming and if his company really pays his taxes as you said he won't owe any money to the IRS so unless there is some other issue I am not sure why you wouldn't just fill out the forms and file today.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Willful failure to file taxes can be charged as a felony and can result in being imprisoned for up to five (5) years.

- 26 U.S.C. § 7203

The actor Wesley Snipes is currently doing three (3) years for a violation of 26 U.S.C. § 7203.

--------------------------------

Priorty Date: June 22, 2011

Interview Sept. 7, 2012

Visa in hand, Sept 15, 2012

Timeline

I take it you have been through the AOS process yourself?

YMMV

Timeline

No. I just more answers .

Well in the future don't do that... because then the mods will need to merge the threads ... oh wait, they already did

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.