Freedove7

My petitioner doesnt pay taxes..Will this be an issue ?

105 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Haiti
Timeline

I will be adjusting my status in the U.S.My husband is a freelance and doesn't pay taxes.He gets paid with checks but I think this is still considered working "under the table." Will they deny my application because my petitioner doesnt pay taxes ? I will get a joint Sponsor, but I'm afraid that since my husband is the petitioner and doesnt have a way to prove his income,this might be an issue.Any thoughts ?

Adjustment of Status from TPS to Permanent Resident

Married on December 28,2007 <3

01/18/2012 Sent I130 to USCIS

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/11/2012 Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

4/23/2012 Biometric Appointment notice received

5/4/2012 Biometrics completed & the real waiting game begins !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I will be adjusting my status in the U.S.My husband is a freelance and doesn't pay taxes.He gets paid with checks but I think this is still considered working "under the table." Will they deny my application because my petitioner doesnt pay taxes ? I will get a joint Sponsor, but I'm afraid that since my husband is the petitioner and doesnt have a way to prove his income,this might be an issue.Any thoughts ?

Even if he is a freelancer/self employed he still has to pay US taxes. Is there a reason he isn't paying taxes?

10/02/2010 Nikah/Marriage in Karachi
USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
03/24/2011 i 130 approved!!!
NVC JOURNEY
03/30/2011 NVC received case-04/07/2011 NVC Case Number Assigned
05/03/2011 CASE COMPLETE- In Que for INTERVIEW!!-05/17/2011 Received interview letter and info via email
EMBASSY JOURNEY
05/20/2011 Medical Appt/passed
06/15/2011 Interview result AP
06/21/2011 Submitted requested docs..under review
07/25/2011 CO called did phone interview result: PENDING MANDATORY AP/CO told us they have to do namechecks

03/07/2013 Case returned to USCIS waiting for NOIR/reaffirmation

04/18/2013 USCIS received case for review

08/19/2013 Received NOIR to respond by 9/18/2013

9/9/2013 Responded to NOIR/USCIS received documents awaiting response

9/20/2013 USCIS reaffirmed sent to embassy

1/04/14 Case opened for review

8/31/15 Interview- no questions visa approved on the spot

9/8/15 visa status issued

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

He will need to file back taxes for at least the last three years,

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

No tax filing nothing will proceed, a filing is needed for three years.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

:thumbs:

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Nigeria
I-129F Sent : 2011-06-08
I-129F NOA1 : 2011-06-17
I-129F RFE(s) : No RFE
RFE Reply(s) : No RFE
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-09-27
Interview: 2nd Week of January

Immigrant Visa rescheduled for second week of February 2012

Visa Refused on Immigration Purpose February 2013

We Got Married and Filed Spouse Visa

dancin5hr.gif Visa Approved in May 2013dancin5hr.gif

POE was Easy in June 2013

USA Citizen July 2016

Who cares to know how long My Visajourney was???

SSN Arrives on 07/01/2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Many people receive cash for employment. Such a waiter getting tips, or a mechanic taking on extra work on the side, or your husband. It is only considered "under the table" when it is not declared and no taxes are paid.He needs to file. If this means he will owe taxes that he cannot pay right away, he can make payment arrangements with the IRS. The USCIS does not care so much that he might be paying off this debt,as much as he can show he can support you.

Timeline

Many people receive cash for employment. Such a waiter getting tips, or a mechanic taking on extra work on the side, or your husband. It is only considered "under the table" when it is not declared and no taxes are paid.He needs to file. If this means he will owe taxes that he cannot pay right away, he can make payment arrangements with the IRS. The USCIS does not care so much that he might be paying off this debt,as much as he can show he can support you.

I will have a joint sponsor with good income and who does pay tax.Will it still matter that my petitioner doesnt file for taxes ?

:thumbs:

I thought it was optional to show proof of filing for the last 3 years? atleast thats what it says on the application.It says to show proof of filing for the most recent tax year.

What if I have a joint sponsor ?

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

Timeline

I posted another question in regards to this.My husband,the petitioner for my AOS, doesnt file for taxes.He gets paid with checks and cash and works as an Event Planner for a company.He says the company files taxes .Im confused...Anyhow,will him not paying taxes prevent me from being approved ?Can we just send a copy of his checks and a letter frm his employer ?what if I just get a Joint Sponsor ?

Edited by Freedove7

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

Filed: Timeline

It depends on how much he's actually making. For self-employed people like your husband, he must file for income over $400. Does he receive 1099's? He's also cheating himself on social security and, not to mention, the rest of the American people.

You will have to justify why he hasn't been filing returns. If you do anything other than file the back taxes, you and your husband could be getting into some serious trouble.

Your joint sponsor does not matter.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

much ado about nothing.

Your petitioner will file with no taxable income and your joint sponsor will take the burden of your immigration support.

You won't be denied because of this situation.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline

much ado about nothing.

Your petitioner will file with no taxable income and your joint sponsor will take the burden of your immigration support.

You won't be denied because of this situation.

I hope you're right .I hope all goes well

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

Timeline

It depends on how much he's actually making. For self-employed people like your husband, he must file for income over $400. Does he receive 1099's? He's also cheating himself on social security and, not to mention, the rest of the American people.

You will have to justify why he hasn't been filing returns. If you do anything other than file the back taxes, you and your husband could be getting into some serious trouble.

Your joint sponsor does not matter.

He says the company files for taxes.What is the purpose of a Joint Sponsor? He became an American Citizen this year with no problem,why might him not paying for taxes pose a problem with my AoS application ?

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

I posted another question in regards to this.My husband,the petitioner for my AOS, doesnt file for taxes.He gets paid with checks and cash and works as an Event Planner for a company.He says the company files taxes .Im confused...Anyhow,will him not paying taxes prevent me from being approved ?Can we just send a copy of his checks and a letter frm his employer ?what if I just get a Joint Sponsor ?

Everyone, even if not actually going to pay taxes (because of lower income) is supposed to file. Many people who are below the tax rates or whose exceptions/deductions are high and hence will not be actually paying often do not; that could be the case here; but for things like an immigration process, you need them.

"The company files taxes" could mean that his company prepares them and files, yet he still needs to sign. Or it could mean the company files their own taxes in which case it has nothing to do with your husband's

One alternative would be to file retroactively, but this could open a can of worms as he might discover that he indeed now owes back taxes. This last will still need to be fixed, but perhaps that is the best course of action and know ahead of time and with time to correct that.

USCIS wants evidence that he can support you in a sustainable manner, and tax records are just the easiest way to do that, though the 864 requires at least the last year I believe.

And yes, co-sponsor would do, but the potential tax liability is not going to be fixed by itself.

Timeline

He says the company files for taxes.What is the purpose of a Joint Sponsor? He became an American Citizen this year with no problem,why might him not paying for taxes pose a problem with my AoS application ?

He is mistaken, his company does not file for nor do they satisfy his individual tax filing obligation. Period.

He really needs to understand the potential ramifications of his decision to not file and the ramifications to you if you choose to follow his decision. Since you are aware of what he is doing, the provision of "innocent spouse" may not apply to you.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline

Why did you start a new thread? Did you think the answers would be different?

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.