one...two...tree

DARPA: Let’s Get Rid of Antibiotics, Since They’ll Be Obsolete Anyway

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

For the better part of a century, antibiotics have given doctors great powers to cure all sorts of bacterial infections. But due to bacteria's nasty habit of evolving, along with widespread overuse of these drugs, disease-causing bacteria are evolving antibiotic resistance at an alarming rate, making it much harder, and at times impossible, to wipe them out. DARPA, the military's research agency, is eyeing an innovative solution to the problem: Rather than struggling to make better antibiotics, ditch them altogether. It may be time to start killing bacteria a whole new way. The agency issued a call for proposals to develop a system of bacteria-beating drugs based on siRNAs, tiny scraps of genetic material that turn genes on and off. The idea is to hitch siRNAs onto a nanoparticle, which can make its way into the bacterial cell. What's more, DARPA wants siRNAs "whose sequence and objective can be reprogrammed 'on-the-fly' to inhibit multiple targets within multiple classes of pathogens," meaning they can be easily tweaked and tailored in the lab to combat a new bacteria or virus, be it a naturally emerging disease or a carefully designed bioweapon.

DARPA is known for its at times far-fetched requests, but as Katie Drummond at Wired's Danger Room points out, the basic science has been worked out—albeit not with the range or speed DARPA has in mind:

[R]esearchers already know how to engineer siRNA and shove it into nanoparticles. They did it last year,
that saw four primates survive infection with a deadly strain of Ebola Virus after injections of Ebola-targeted siRNA nanoparticles. Doing it quickly, and with unprecedented versatility, is another question. It can take decades for a new antibiotic to be studied and approved. Darpa seems to be after a system that can do the same job, in

Read more at Danger Room.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Uhmmm.... yeah. Let's get rid of them, since there are already natural ways of combating bacterial infections, without harming the bio-equilibrium, in most instances.

"Truth is simple. If it was complex,... everyone would understand it" ... anonymous. (Maybe Walt Whitman)

07/27/2011...........NOA1 received.

12/05/2011...........RFE received.

12/13/2011...........RFE response sent.

12/16/2011...........RFE RESPONSE received by Vermont S.C.

12/22/2011...........Teased by a text-message from uscis, saying they have received my response to the RFE.

12/30/2011...........LA VISA APROVADOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

01/12/2012...........Case Sent To Bogota Colombia, from the National Visa Center.

02/09/2012...........Schedule Interview.

03/23/2012...........Interview (to take place then)!

04/07/2012...........Arrived in USA.

07/01/2012...........MARRIED!

What next?

.......How the days DO slip away!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Fine. If they have a better way then they just need to perfect it, market it and they stand to make a fortune. There will still be a need for antibiotics.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Country: Venezuela
Timeline

What they should do is allow people to take them when it makes sense. Because every time I go to Dr and say hey I'm hacking up green aliens they say oh its just a virus, and I have to suffer. Last week I took a single doxy 100 I had for a upper resp infection and within 24 hours mucus went clear, and I was 90% better. Now because I did not have a full course of doxy I may be guilty of helping the bacteria to mutate. And I would have went to Dr. to get prescription if I thought they'd actually give it to me. I'm not a dr. or biologist but it would seem that ensuring patients take the full cycle woud be better and more practical.

Edited by caterino

Timeline

Met 2.18.11 (Was on B1 Visa I-94 expired 2.11.11)

Engaged 6.12.11

Married 7.12.11

I-485/I-130/I-765/I-131 Filed/Rec'd CHI 7.25.11 (Rec'd @ 165 days overstay)

Bio Appt 8.29.11

I-485 Rec'd Interview Appt. (Date of notice 9.12.11 / Date of Interview 10.14.2011)

I-765/I-131 Approved 9.16.11 / Card Received 9.24.11 (53 Days Processing Time)

Applied for SSN 9.28.11 / SSN Card Received 10.3.11 (5 Days Processing Time)

Approved in person I-485 Interview 10.14.11 (81 Days from start of process)

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

What they should do is allow people to take them when it makes sense. Because every time I go to Dr and say hey I'm hacking up green aliens they say oh its just a virus, and I have to suffer. Last week I took a single doxy 100 I had for a upper resp infection and within 24 hours mucus went clear, and I was 90% better. Now because I did not have a full course of doxy I may be guilty of helping the bacteria to mutate. And I would have went to Dr. to get prescription if I thought they'd actually give it to me. I'm not a dr. or biologist but it would seem that ensuring patients take the full cycle woud be better and more practical.

The sinuses are a breeding ground for bacteria and always have bacteria present. The problem isn't then really the bacteria, but keeping it in check. When you're congested, bacteria can build up, but one of the best remedies for that is to take something like Mucinex or Robitussin which helps loosen up the mucus so you can blow it out. Drinking lots of fluids makes a big difference. So if you take antibiotics when you have a cold, it maybe killing off the bacteria in your sinuses, but cultures will continually be replenished while you have a lot of mucus. You can also take a decongestant, but taking probiotics (good bacteria) will go a long way in keeping the bad bacteria in check. Except in cases where there's a persistent fever, it's not necessary to take antibiotics.

Edited by Mister Fancypants

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Colds are caused by viruses. Taking antibiotics is a waste in most cases, but patients want and expect the Dr to give them antibiotics.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

As a rule, doctors have been prescribing doxycycline lately for 2 reasons; to get you out of the office because they think you have something minor and doxycycline is dirt cheap, or because they think you have an atypical respiratory infection such as mycoplasma or something.

They stopped using doxycline years ago for bacterial repiratory illnesses because most respiratory bacteria were resistant. They stopped using it for so long that it is actually became somewhat effective again. When an antibiotic is not used for a long time, the percentage of resistant bacteria decreases. Basically the bacteria that produce the gene for resistance become competitively disadvantaged, using excess energy for nothing.

Anyway long story short, they generally wouldn't be using doxycycline if they thought you had something serious.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Eric, you make the human species look bad with your horrible grammar.

[/quo

YAWN come up with new come backs and quit stealing others this line you use is older than the crust on your dirty underwater.