Heracles

$342 million on a Stadium will people still suffering

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Most people in the US would want a new stadium than better schools. So sad.

In other situations where local cities (Seattle, Phx) have gotten the taxpayers to foot the bill for stadiums, I've been adamantly opposed. However, this stadium already existed, housed thousands of people after one of the biggest natural disasters in U.S. history, and condemning it would have cost millions in clean up. I think this was a good decision and when looking at the dollars per person - it's about $387, which is really isn't that much in comparison to the costs needed to rebuild the city.

In many cities they want a shiny 'new' stadium to replace an older perfectly serviceable one. I have a problem with that.

I do too and when I first saw this posted, my initial reaction was the same. I absolutely hate when teams want cities to pay for stadiums with tax money and threaten to move the team elsewhere if they don't get what they want. In this case, that is not the situation, IMO.

Please also factor the $15 million given from the NFL to speed up the rebuilding of the stadium.

Sports teams do have a way of bringing people together. I can imagine that if the NO Stadium was selected for a future Super Bowl, the local economy would benefit greatly.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

after reading all of this, i'm baffled. NO goes and spends money to fix a football stadium. meanwhile, a respectable percentage of the population is displaced to other cities. the levees still suck. housing is sky high. so on and so forth. there's hundreds of other projects that are more important to NO than a freaking pro football team playing in NO! ####### is wrong with nagin and the powers that be in NO?

after reading about this, i think it's safe to take that nasty saying that was floating around about bush, modify it some, and say "NO and nagin don't care about the displaced people from NO, unless they are the NO saints"

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

in the south, football is almost like a religion... perhaps part of the reason the renovation was done was to give the citizens of the city a reason to gather together in celebration of something... and im sure that being able to retain the team and have games that draw visitors from all over the whole country, generating a lot of revenue for the city, was also a factor

its a gamble on how best to rebuild that city... many ppl have many ideas... but i do think there needs to be better teamwork or it will all fall apart and not come to fruition...

as far as the folks that were displaced, they have to WANT to return...

"True love is falling in love with your best friend,

and only then, will you find the meaning of happiness."

tony_1.gif

Filed: Timeline

Most people in the US would want a new stadium than better schools. So sad.

In other situations where local cities (Seattle, Phx) have gotten the taxpayers to foot the bill for stadiums, I've been adamantly opposed. However, this stadium already existed, housed thousands of people after one of the biggest natural disasters in U.S. history, and condemning it would have cost millions in clean up. I think this was a good decision and when looking at the dollars per person - it's about $387, which is really isn't that much in comparison to the costs needed to rebuild the city.

In many cities they want a shiny 'new' stadium to replace an older perfectly serviceable one. I have a problem with that.

I do too and when I first saw this posted, my initial reaction was the same. I absolutely hate when teams want cities to pay for stadiums with tax money and threaten to move the team elsewhere if they don't get what they want. In this case, that is not the situation, IMO.

Please also factor the $15 million given from the NFL to speed up the rebuilding of the stadium.

Sports teams do have a way of bringing people together. I can imagine that if the NO Stadium was selected for a future Super Bowl, the local economy would benefit greatly.

They've played several Super Bowls and at least one college national championship there; I think that is one of the main reasons they rebuilt it so quickly because you're right; those are big boons to the local economy.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth