kytwell

New York Mayor Bloomberg defends clearing of Occupy Wall Street

51 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

New York's mayor today defended the pre-dawn clearing of the Occupy Wall Street encampment, saying "inaction was not an option" as the nearly 2-month-old set-up became packed with tents and concerns grew that fires and other hazards could erupt.

Police in riot gear moved into Zuccotti Park in lower Manhattan shortly after officers handed out notices to protesters at about 1 p.m. warning them the park was about to be cleared. It said residents could return after a clean-up but that they would no longer be permitted to set up tents, bring in sleeping bags, or camp there 24/7.

“Protesters have had two months to occupy the park with tents and sleeping bags. Now they will have to occupy the space with the power of their arguments," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a statement, promising that the privately owned park would reopen later today. Police said they had cleared it by about 4:30 a.m.

Throughout the night, a police helicopter could be heard thundering above the area. Live video showed some protesters pulling down their own tents and leaving, but it also showed police dumping tents and other belongings into a huge pile to be taken away. Protesters were told they could retrieve their belongings later.

Bloomberg said the city acted in coordination with Brookfield Properties, which owns Zuccotti Park and which until today had let protesters remain there. "At Brookfield’s request, members of the NYPD and Sanitation Department assisted in removing any remaining tents and sleeping bags. This action was taken at this time of day to reduce the risk of confrontation in the park, and to minimize disruption to the surrounding neighborhood," Bloomberg said.

“Unfortunately, the park was becoming a place where people came not to protest, but rather to break laws, and in some cases, to harm others," said Bloomberg, an apparent reference to the recent arrest of a man on sexual assault charges. "The majority of protesters have been peaceful and responsible. But an unfortunate minority have not been – and as the number of protesters has grown, this has created an intolerable situation."

The sudden move followed similar attempts in other cities, notably Portland, Oregon, and Oakland, California, to end Occupy protests, and it comes on the heels of a protest Monday outside City Hall by local business owners complaining that Bloomberg was letting protesters destroy their businesses.

A protester named Dave Harold, interviewed on the local all-news TV channel NY1, said he saw "a ton of cops in riot gear" as the raid began and that he joined a core group that refused initially to leave. "A lot of us were 'no, we're not leaving.' And then they just started pushing in and ... slashing up tents," said Harold.

A woman identified as another protester said one police officer laughed and said "happy trails" as she and a friend headed out of the park. They went to a nearby McDonald's to use the bathroom but were shooed away by police, said the woman, whose name was not given.

Police said they had arrested about 70 protesters, The Associated Press reported, including some who chained themselves together to try to prevent being arrested. Occupy Wall Street protesters told people to move to Foley Square, outside the courthouses in Lower Manhattan, where scores of demonstrators arrested in an early Occupy Wall Street march were due to appear before a judge later today.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/11/new-york-mayor-bloomberg-occupy-wall-street-zuccotti-park.html

Good for NYC.

I like how they handled it. "You can still protest... but you can't protest right now." This has been the problem with the occupiers all over the US. They've broken the law in order to protest when it's perfectly legal for them to protest during certain hours.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good for NYC.

I like how they handled it. "You can still protest... but you can't protest right now." This has been the problem with the occupiers all over the US. They've broken the law in order to protest when it's perfectly legal for them to protest during certain hours.

Any law that restricts free speech is unconstitutional.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Good for NYC.

OK Slim, your 2nd amendment rights are valid, just not right now. I like that. Or is it only constitutional rights that you agree with that are absolute?

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

OK Slim, your 2nd amendment rights are valid, just not right now. I like that. Or is it only constitutional rights that you agree with that are absolute?

Sort of like the right to bear arms, but not in public without a licence?

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Any law that restricts free speech is unconstitutional.

Nobody is restricting their speech. They're restricting when and where they can loiter.

No rights are absolute when they infringe upon other citizens. I can't carry my gun into a hospital or government building or your house if you don't want me to.

The same goes for these protesters who are occupying places after hours. Almost every park in this country closes at a certain time. If they're not out by that time, they're trespassing - just like I'd be if I carried my gun into your home if you didn't want me to.

Sort of like the right to bear arms, but not in public without a licence?

This is exactly like that. It's 100% completely legal to carry firearms in certain parks but 100% illegal to do so in others unless the proper license is acquired.

Much in the same way, the protesters can petition for permits to camp and occupy the park after hours if they desire. If they're denied, they can't do it. Much like I'm not allowed to carry my gun in the hospital, even with a permit.

But why is it ok to regulate arms, but not speech?

Exactly. If it's good for the goose it's good for the gander.

But, as all of you know, I'm not an advocate for government intervention into any part of our lives. However, I am for everyone following the rules equally.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

They can still assemble and protest, they just can't be sleeping in a public park. There's vagrancy and curfew laws to be enforced. So go back today, assemble, protest and go back to your house when park curfew begins.

They can still assemble and protest, they just can't be sleeping in a public park. There's vagrancy and curfew laws to be enforced. So go back today, assemble, protest and go back to your house when park curfew begins.

That's exactly what they should do. But, that would be too hard.

...and that's why they're there in the first place!

Русский форум член.

Very.

Some people think one amendment is more important than another.

Русский форум член.