AndyAlina

How much evidence is too much?

39 posts in this topic

By 'CYA' I meant nothing more than the lawyer trying to 'cover [his] a$s' by asking you to send as much as possible (so you can't complain if you get an RFE).

Probably wouldn't hurt, but it doesn't prove you met.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
By 'CYA' I meant nothing more than the lawyer trying to 'cover [his] a$s' by asking you to send as much as possible (so you can't complain if you get an RFE).

Probably wouldn't hurt, but it doesn't prove you met.

Well, I didn't base my decision soley on what my lawyer said, I based my decision on my fellow Viet Nam filers as well. As for my lawyer, he is also my best friend. So no, he wasn't covering his A$$, he was looking out for his friend.

As for the posters original question, my advice to him was to send everything he has, to both USCIS and the consulate. Why you ask? So he can avoid RFE's from both USCIS, consulate and not have to think about "What should I send?". If he sends everything to both...then he won't be sitting around worrying to himself later on...."Should I have sent more?" Nothing like not providing enough of something and then consequently going through the AR process. That means, not only can the consulate put things on AR, but the USCIS does the same thing as well. Is that a risk that people are willing to take? Why gamble or play with fire?

Edited by CharlieBox

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's not a matter of throwing a ton of evidence at the adjudicators, it's a matter of being smart about what you submit. As Yodrak said previously, if you send in evidence that brings up more questions than answers, why send it in?

It's a balance between sending in not enough evidence (or evidence that does nothing to bolster your argument that you have a legitimate relationship) and sending way too much. I use this analogy every time this topic comes up: think of your relationship as a big puzzle, and all the forms and evidence as the pieces. If the evidence you submit, in conjunction with the documents you have to fill out, does nothing to fill in the big picture (yes, you have met in the last two years, and yes, you have a legitimate relationship), then it doesn't fit and don't include it.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Analogy: I ask two people for their phone number.

One person hands me their business card, with their phone number printed on it.

The other hands me the telephone book, his birth certificate, drivers' license showing his name, his business card, his second grade spelling bee certificate (because it has his name on it), and a copy of his telecom contract proving beyond all doubt that's his number, and some e-mails where he talks about buying a telephone.

Which has given me more useful information?

More isn't always better.

CharlieBox, didn't mean to come across harshly. You'll be fine and there's nothing really wrong with having a lot of evidence, assuming it doesn't bring up questions like Yodrak mentions. But it's not good to give people the idea that they need to send in a ream and a half of paper (literally) to have a chance at approval. No one is gambling with their future because they don't have IRC logs, y'know?

(Of course, if I get an RFE, I'm sending them the shoebox full of used phone cards, but that's more to be brat than anything else.)

AOS

-

Just to add one more point - if you send too much information, then it is very likely that the information that you really want them to see will simply be lost in the piles and piles and PILES of paper. I'm sure they go through each case thoroughly, but anything past the first few pages (just like a resume) is probably not going to be read with as much interest as the first two.

How are they going to see your little passport stamp (I take it we all agree that this is crucial primary evidence?) if it has been buried under emails, skype logs, movie tickets, pressed flowers, the kitchen sink and whatever elss you have tossed in the poor envelope?

(ok .. so I got a LITTLE carried away with the flowers and sink).

Read the guides, take the advice of HUNDREDS of others that have gone before you. (That's why we are on VJ, not so?) Send what is needed and asked for - put it together it in a clear, concise, organized way that will not have the adjudicator flipping back and forth. Try not to overwhelm anybody - NOBODY likes that. Mail it off - have a glass of wine and then wait. That's all we can do.

Mo

Edited by mozplay

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Plus, the shipping costs on the standard stainless steel kitchen sink? Will eat you alive.

AOS

-

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
If your petition packet is over an inch thick, you have too much. The visa interview is when you throw everything at them

Okay, so the 400 pages of e-mail hard copies don't have to go... Whew... That would have really made shipping the 129F a pain. :lol:

As it was, I sent copies of my passport visa page, copies of boarding passes and train tickets, copies of our handwritten "let's get married" letters, and five or six photos.

However, that leads me to a question... When I visited Bobbie in Qingdao, I took my digital camera...so all of our photos together are electronic. I pasted them into a Word document and printed it out for the 129F. Ought I to get photo prints made, and send them to her for the interview?

I agree with everyone who said it would be wise to send documentation for each visit. Pair it down to the important evidence such as plane tickets, passport stamps etc. But include information on all of the trips.

Good luck on your journey! :thumbs:

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.