andyon

K3 interview and I-864

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

ive been reading and reading...and it seems like everyone has their interview first and at the interview submits their I-864. my husband has had his medical..then i recieved visa processing fee(380.00) and the next day...I-864 packet(which is terribly confusing). my question is ..then what???? i keep reading peoples posts saying they are taking their I-864's to the interview???..is my case different or am i confused????plz help!!!!!

01/28/04-met online via yahoo (hot diggity!!!!)

spoke on online and cam every day for over a year

04/01/05-andy comes to tennessee for 2 weeks!!!!! (double hot diggity!!!!)

06/18/05-andy comes back to stay with me for 3 months!!!!!

12/30/05-andy comes back to stay with me for 3 more months!!!!!!!

03/18/06- WE GET MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***HERE STARTS OUR VISA JOURNEY***

04/03/06-mailed packet to texas

04/07/06-touched

04/08/06-check cashed @ texas

04/16/06- 1st NOA!!!!!!!!!!

05/10/06-mailed packet to chicago

05/12/06-touched

07/20/06-2nd NOA.!!!!!!!!!......took forever !!!!(had to send back additional info which was

some form saying youve never committed any horrible crimes!!!!!!

08/22/06-went for his medical!!!!!!!!!!

****waisted a bunch of time because we both recieved packets and got confused..he was sent

k3/ds papers and i was sent I-864 forms for cr-1....WE GOT MIXED UP!!!!!!!!!

10/03/06-hubby mailed off check list for k3 to embassy

10/12/06-hubby recieved interview date!!!!!!.............NOV 7th @ london embassy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OMG

11/07/06-APPROVED!!!!VISA GRANTED!!!! YAY!!!!!!!"

No one said it would be easy...no one said it would be so hard"

Filed: Timeline

andyon,

Sounds like you might be confused about what visa you're working on?

The K3 non-immigrant visa uses the I-134 affidavit of support, usually turned in to the consulate on the day of the interview.

The $380 fee notice and I-864 package is for an immigrant visa, and those things were sent to you by the National Visa Center, yes?

Yodrak

ive been reading and reading...and it seems like everyone has their interview first and at the interview submits their I-864. my husband has had his medical..then i recieved visa processing fee(380.00) and the next day...I-864 packet(which is terribly confusing). my question is ..then what???? i keep reading peoples posts saying they are taking their I-864's to the interview???..is my case different or am i confused????plz help!!!!!

Timeline
andyon,

Sounds like you might be confused about what visa you're working on?

The K3 non-immigrant visa uses the I-134 affidavit of support, usually turned in to the consulate on the day of the interview.

The $380 fee notice and I-864 package is for an immigrant visa, and those things were sent to you by the National Visa Center, yes?

Yodrak

yes..that is correct..we filed a k3..then why did i recieve all of this???? im really worried now

04/07/06-touched

05/12/06-touched

07/20/06-2nd NOA.!!!!!!!!!......took forever !!!!(had to send back additional info which was

****waisted a bunch of time because we both recieved packets and got confused..he was sent

10/12/06-hubby recieved interview date!!!!!!.............NOV 7th @ london embassy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OMG

To file the I-129F for K3, you first had to file the I-130 for CR-1. The I-864 package (and other items from the NVC like the $380 fee) is connected to the CR-1, not the K3. You'll have to pay $100 or so for the K3 at the time of the interview.

Edited by girl 37

Timeline
To file the I-129F for K3, you first had to file the I-130 for CR-1. The I-864 package (and other items from the NVC like the $380 fee) is connected to the CR-1, not the K3. You'll have to pay $100 or so for the K3 at the time of the interview.

OMG. im really confused. we filed a I-130..approved..then a I-129..approved. then i was sent a affidavit of support fee..sent that in. then my husband was sent a packet ...filled them out and then had his medical..after that i then recieved visa processing fee and then this I-863 to send back to the NVC??? what in the world have we done wrong? we were under the impression that his interview would be next and he taked his affiadvit of support with him?

04/07/06-touched

05/12/06-touched

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

OMG. im really confused. we filed a I-130..approved..then a I-129..approved. then i was sent a affidavit of support fee..sent that in. then my husband was sent a packet ...filled them out and then had his medical..after that i then recieved visa processing fee and then this I-863 to send back to the NVC??? what in the world have we done wrong? we were under the impression that his interview would be next and he taked his affiadvit of support with him?

Hello Andyon, 1st, don't panick; i was just searching in advance what will happen more in detail after the NVC; I'm not so advanced in research, but what I can say of your question is that receiving the I-864 brings you in the direction of Cr-1/IR-1, the immigration path; the confusion might be because of I-130 which can take 2 directions: K-3 ( if you filed for I-129f after) and Ir/Cr (without I-129F); but if you fill for both (k-3 and Ir/Cr, and you receive the I-864, that means maybe that the Cr is faster than K-3, which package if you check the Example forms above which have other type of forms to fill: ds-156, etc. Hope it's not too confusing either!

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

25 Aug 06 - Sent I-130 (a Friday)

28 Aug 06 - NOA1 & Certif. receipt returned ( a Monday) Day 1

29 Aug 06 - USCIS cashes check

30 Aug 06 - check cleared & 1ST TOUCH.

01 Sept 06 - NOA1 recvd by Mail

09 Sept 06 - 2ND TOUCH (a Saturday)

09 Mai 07 - NOA2 (2 e-mails)

Note: were told the long delay due to huge backlog and internal changes in VT

NVC :

04-June-07 - NVC generates DS-3032 & AOS bill

12-June-07 - AOS Bill payment sent/ alien receives DS-3032 form (by mail, dated 4th June)

13-June-07 - Alien sends back completed DS-3032 (by mail)/ rcvd 19th of June approx.

To mid July-07 - I-864 form sent completed and IV fee bill

19-July-07 NVC rcv I-864 form; mail signature rcvd.

22-Aug-07 Ds-230 with documents sent to NVC.

20-Sep - 07 Alien sends NVC Missing document. NVC receives it the 25th.

05-Oct - 07 NVC completed.

16-Jan - 08 Interview, 3 questions asked, visa approved same day, received 1week later approx.

Note: delay due to internal delay, missing document (not rfe) and self procrastination of understanding some abstract terms. C Post not at all reliable (delivery duration, delivery with signature (did not deliver personnaly), and delivery of interview letter rcvd after the interview).

In USA:

01-03-08 POE Entry in USA

...-03-08 2 Welcome in America letters and green card received.

"What I know is that I know nothing"

You should take a look at the NVC flowchart, pinned by Captain Ewok at the top of the NVC forum, below. The flowchart will show you what happens during the I-130 process at the NVC.

It sounds like your husband has received his packet 3 for the K3 interview, and he's gathering the necessary items.

In the meantime your I-130 for CR-1 or IR-1 (depending on how long you've been married, CR-1 is for <2 years, IR-1 is for >2 years) is making its way through the NVC.

Depending on how long it takes (there are ways to speed it up, as noted in Aussie's thread which is also pinned at the top of the NVC forum), your husband might want to wait for the greencard interview at the Embassy, or he might want to return to the UK for that interview after initially entering on the K3 but not adjusting status.

I'm sure someone else will be along soon with more info. ;)

Filed: Other Timeline

you've done nothing at all wrong, there are two paths to tread, and at this point in time you need to choose to do one or both of them.

The K3 package that your husband received is what results from the approved I-129F.

The package that you've received is the result of the approval of the I-130.

These are two separate but connected processes, and at this point you can choose which one you want to do.

Your husband can continue along with the K3 stuff, and you can continue on with the CR1 stuff, and you can see which one reaches the consulate first for which interview. All in all, the I-130 to CR1 path is probably the better of the two, as it results in an immigrant visa, with work permit built in. The K3 is a non-immigrant visa, with which he will later have to make another choice, and either move to the US on the K3, and then return to the UK for the CR1 interview, or apply for Employment Authorization and Adjustment of Status in the US.

IIWM, I'd wait the extra couple or few weeks on the CR1 visa, and save yourselves the expense of a return to the UK for another interview.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
you've done nothing at all wrong, there are two paths to tread, and at this point in time you need to choose to do one or both of them.

The K3 package that your husband received is what results from the approved I-129F.

The package that you've received is the result of the approval of the I-130.

These are two separate but connected processes, and at this point you can choose which one you want to do.

Your husband can continue along with the K3 stuff, and you can continue on with the CR1 stuff, and you can see which one reaches the consulate first for which interview. All in all, the I-130 to CR1 path is probably the better of the two, as it results in an immigrant visa, with work permit built in. The K3 is a non-immigrant visa, with which he will later have to make another choice, and either move to the US on the K3, and then return to the UK for the CR1 interview, or apply for Employment Authorization and Adjustment of Status in the US.

IIWM, I'd wait the extra couple or few weeks on the CR1 visa, and save yourselves the expense of a return to the UK for another interview.

Girl and Reba, if I understood well the proceedure, the lady was confused about receiving the I-864 which is the Cr-Ir's direction or path as a result of the I-130's approval, not the path of K-3 (even if the I-129 was approved). Thus, more clearly to me that means that Cr/Ir worked faster for them.

Actually, and also after reading some posts, that makes me think if it's not better we do not fill for K-3 in addition to Cr/Ir; so much more confusion, and above all, it seems that more and more, the USCIS do not appreciate those who fill for both...as confusing, for them maybe but also obviously for us...

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

25 Aug 06 - Sent I-130 (a Friday)

28 Aug 06 - NOA1 & Certif. receipt returned ( a Monday) Day 1

29 Aug 06 - USCIS cashes check

30 Aug 06 - check cleared & 1ST TOUCH.

01 Sept 06 - NOA1 recvd by Mail

09 Sept 06 - 2ND TOUCH (a Saturday)

09 Mai 07 - NOA2 (2 e-mails)

Note: were told the long delay due to huge backlog and internal changes in VT

NVC :

04-June-07 - NVC generates DS-3032 & AOS bill

12-June-07 - AOS Bill payment sent/ alien receives DS-3032 form (by mail, dated 4th June)

13-June-07 - Alien sends back completed DS-3032 (by mail)/ rcvd 19th of June approx.

To mid July-07 - I-864 form sent completed and IV fee bill

19-July-07 NVC rcv I-864 form; mail signature rcvd.

22-Aug-07 Ds-230 with documents sent to NVC.

20-Sep - 07 Alien sends NVC Missing document. NVC receives it the 25th.

05-Oct - 07 NVC completed.

16-Jan - 08 Interview, 3 questions asked, visa approved same day, received 1week later approx.

Note: delay due to internal delay, missing document (not rfe) and self procrastination of understanding some abstract terms. C Post not at all reliable (delivery duration, delivery with signature (did not deliver personnaly), and delivery of interview letter rcvd after the interview).

In USA:

01-03-08 POE Entry in USA

...-03-08 2 Welcome in America letters and green card received.

"What I know is that I know nothing"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.