Alan_G

Removing "Valid to Work Only with DHS Authorization" from Social security card

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi,

I got a social security card when I first came as a student (F1) that had the legend "Valid to Work Only with DHS Authorization". Now my current immigration status is Permanent resident. How can I remove that legend from my social security card?

Does my green card replaces any EAD?

Please Help me!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You take your green card and go to the SS office and ask them to remove the words from the SSN.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

You take your green card and go to the SS office and ask them to remove the words from the SSN.

I did that today... but I asked the person and he told me my card will continue to have that legend "valid to work only with DHS...." so is he wrong?

Filed: Timeline

I did that today... but I asked the person and he told me my card will continue to have that legend "valid to work only with DHS...." so is he wrong?

Yes, the person is wrong. If you applied, hopefully the person coded things right so that you won't get another restricted card. Plus, I hope you didn't give them your SSN card. If you apply and they ask for the old card, say the dog ate it. LOL Do not give up the old card until you receive the new one.

Timeline

Yes, the person is wrong. If you applied, hopefully the person coded things right so that you won't get another restricted card. Plus, I hope you didn't give them your SSN card. If you apply and they ask for the old card, say the dog ate it. LOL Do not give up the old card until you receive the new one.

LOL... yeah the person asked for it but I told him I couldn't find it hahaha. Also right before I left he showed me a print out that contain my name,dob,immigration status:permanent resident and my address.

they also gave me this paper. do you think that the 2nd paragraph means that my card will contain the same legend on it? see picture attached to this message.

Thank you for your time!!

post-117400-0-41032700-1319587624_thumb.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

LOL... yeah the person asked for it but I told him I couldn't find it hahaha. Also right before I left he showed me a print out that contain my name,dob,immigration status:permanent resident and my address.

they also gave me this paper. do you think that the 2nd paragraph means that my card will contain the same legend on it? see picture attached to this message.

My notice said the same thing. My card arrived with no words on it.

( they gave back the card with the words on it so i have 2 cards in my possession)

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

To be sure, call the SSA 800# (800-772-1213) and review your SSN record. If your application has been processed as a permenent resident the IDN code on the new record will be the letter "H". If it is an "H", the card coming will be an unrestricted card.

Timeline

I called my local social security office and ask them. they said I should get an unrestricted card.

Also I found the following in the ssa.gov website:

http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/cards.htm

Thanks to everybody that helped me.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You should get an unrestricted card the person does not know what he/she was talking.

I am in the same situation as you are, I got my orig SSN card when I was student. After change of status, personally I still kept the card with restriction and my reason was it cannot be used illegaly to gain employment.

Illegal would need another document like GC or passport in conjuction with SSN card. :)

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I also have a card that says "work with DHS authorization only".

Now i am a conditional resident and want to get this comment waived from my card.

If i get a new card without showing them my old card, is the SSN number will be same as the old one or they are going to issue me a new SSN number too?

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Hi,

I got a social security card when I first came as a student (F1) that had the legend "Valid to Work Only with DHS Authorization". Now my current immigration status is Permanent resident. How can I remove that legend from my social security card?

Does my green card replaces any EAD?

Please Help me!!!

If you have your 10-year green card all you need do is take it to the SSA and ask them to remove the condition and issue a new card. If you're a resident but holding a two-year green card, the condition will stay until you go through ROC successfully.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

If you have your 10-year green card all you need do is take it to the SSA and ask them to remove the condition and issue a new card. If you're a resident but holding a two-year green card, the condition will stay until you go through ROC successfully.

Nope, this is wrong. Take any greencard to SSA and have them update your file and remove the note on the SS card. You do not need a 10-year card to do this. The number you have is yours for life.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.