Mrs. Forgetful

Ramadan Question

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have a question, how do you ladies manage keep your weight down during ramadan? I would think fasting all day and then eating at night can't be good for your waist line or am I wrong? I mean I seriously gain 5 lbs every Thanksgiving and thats just 2 days. Is it hard to do?

I don't eat a whole lot at night. We're not really supposed to stuff ourselves after fasting all day. I do have a big breakfast though.

I mean I guess in theory you are not supposed to, but all the good food during Ramadan in Jordan (or other places) lol how can you resist????? :lol:

I guess it helps that I'm here and the food is the same all year round :lol:

Filed: Timeline

After many phone calls to friends and mosques, we will be starting on Sunday. The first 2 Ramadans in America, Mohammed wanted to start when his family started in Jordan. This year, he will follow his mosque in Orland Park, Il.

Ramadan Mubarak

Jackie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

It's nice to go inline with a masjid here, so that you can be sure that you'll have an eid prayer to pray! Ramadan Mubarak to all those fasting today and an early Mubarak to those starting tomorrow! Don't forget, the gates of Jannah are open and Shaytan is locked away for the next month. Wwoo!

rama2.jpg

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

So last night I called 2 masjids here in Philly and they are both starting on Sunday, but the two Masjids that Adil and I go to started today, and so did we! Woke up at 4 for a bagel and oatmeal. Since this is my first Ramadan I am not sure how my body is going to take it, but hopefully it wont go into shock! Well I hope everyone is well!

Ramadan Mubarak!

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

08/16/06- I-130 and EAD sent with AOS packet

08/24/06- I-130, EAD, I-485 recieved

08/28/06- NOA1 for I-130, EAD, and I-485

09/01/06- Recieved boimetrics appointment letter

09/07/06- Biometrics appointment

10/24/06- Recieved letter for initial interview

11/21/06- EAD approved

11/27/06- EAD Recieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/30/06- Touched- NOA for EAD sent

12/01/06- I-130 and I-485 Touched

12/20/06- Initial interview

12/20/06- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (4 months!)

12/27/06- Recieved NOA2 for I-130

12/27/06- Recieved welcome letter

12/27/06- I-485 touched, New card ordered

01/03/06- PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!

09/18/08- Sent I-751... hopefully I did it corectly!

09/something... recieved NOA1 for I-751

10/16/08- Recieved biometrics appointment letter

10/25/08- Biometrics appontment!

03/19/09- Recieved letter stating I-751 transfered to CSC

03/30/09- I-751 approved!

04/02/09- Recieved approval letter

04/30/09- Recieved new card

10/14/09- Sent N-400... the wait begins again.....

10/24/09- Recieved NOA receipt letter

02/05/10- Recieved Fingerprint notification

02/23/10- Fingerprinting appointment

04/07/10- N-400 Interview

10/07/10- Request for aditional evidencce

02/07/11- Oath Ceremony letter arrives!!!!!!!!!!

02/18/11- Oath Ceremony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

I think we should keep this thread going all month ... just kind of as a support group for all of us fasting.

Well my mosque and Lebanon started fasting today (Saturday) ... so so are we ! We woke up for suhoor and had : 1 glass of mik, bread and cheese, and a bananna. I was so happy thinking "my baby will still get nourished". I then threw it all up 5 minutes for athan ! So I ate an apple, brushed my teeth, and began my fast. Here I am fasting (it's 2:17 our time) with hardly anything in my stomach and pregnant. I've gotten a little dizzy but I will be fine. Ali on the other hand is having an easy time and feels like he's not even fasting :angry:

How was taraweeh last night ? I love going to the mosque everyday in Ramadan .... it's what makes Ramadan so special ! To be around all the Muslims and pray together.

I wish you all strength during this month and inshallah allah will accept our praying, fasting, zakat, and du'aa.

Reunited and it feels so good ....

NOA #1 - March 23rd, 2004

Interview- May 18th, 2006 (Success !)

Arrived in the US - May 27, 2006 (our IR-1 visa journey was 2 years and 2 months long)

Wedding - June 17th, 2006

It's a Girl ! Baby Hana's expected due date - March 30th, 2007

591088.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I think we should keep this thread going all month ... just kind of as a support group for all of us fasting.

Well my mosque and Lebanon started fasting today (Saturday) ... so so are we ! We woke up for suhoor and had : 1 glass of mik, bread and cheese, and a bananna. I was so happy thinking "my baby will still get nourished". I then threw it all up 5 minutes for athan ! So I ate an apple, brushed my teeth, and began my fast. Here I am fasting (it's 2:17 our time) with hardly anything in my stomach and pregnant. I've gotten a little dizzy but I will be fine. Ali on the other hand is having an easy time and feels like he's not even fasting :angry:

How was taraweeh last night ? I love going to the mosque everyday in Ramadan .... it's what makes Ramadan so special ! To be around all the Muslims and pray together.

I wish you all strength during this month and inshallah allah will accept our praying, fasting, zakat, and du'aa.

I think it's great you are fasting. I hope it dosen't get to rough on you and the baby. My husband is the same way. It doesn't even phase him! I woke up this morning to eat and he slept and didn't eat til it was time to break fast. He called me right at 6:57 tonight and told me congrats and was suprised that I didn't have food in my mouth when he called! :lol: I told him to give me 5 minutes and I will be having my sandwich and a cup of latte. It wasn't to hard today. I have a slight headache, but I think I will be ok. It doesn't feel like one that will turn into a migrain thank goodness! Anyway, I hope everyone who celebrated the start of Ramadan today had a good fast and for those of you starting tomorrow (or Tuesday ;) ) have a good fast!

May Allah bless us for our efforts and give us strength!

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

08/16/06- I-130 and EAD sent with AOS packet

08/24/06- I-130, EAD, I-485 recieved

08/28/06- NOA1 for I-130, EAD, and I-485

09/01/06- Recieved boimetrics appointment letter

09/07/06- Biometrics appointment

10/24/06- Recieved letter for initial interview

11/21/06- EAD approved

11/27/06- EAD Recieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/30/06- Touched- NOA for EAD sent

12/01/06- I-130 and I-485 Touched

12/20/06- Initial interview

12/20/06- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (4 months!)

12/27/06- Recieved NOA2 for I-130

12/27/06- Recieved welcome letter

12/27/06- I-485 touched, New card ordered

01/03/06- PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!

09/18/08- Sent I-751... hopefully I did it corectly!

09/something... recieved NOA1 for I-751

10/16/08- Recieved biometrics appointment letter

10/25/08- Biometrics appontment!

03/19/09- Recieved letter stating I-751 transfered to CSC

03/30/09- I-751 approved!

04/02/09- Recieved approval letter

04/30/09- Recieved new card

10/14/09- Sent N-400... the wait begins again.....

10/24/09- Recieved NOA receipt letter

02/05/10- Recieved Fingerprint notification

02/23/10- Fingerprinting appointment

04/07/10- N-400 Interview

10/07/10- Request for aditional evidencce

02/07/11- Oath Ceremony letter arrives!!!!!!!!!!

02/18/11- Oath Ceremony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

OK, I guess its on. Hatem leaves for work between 3 and 3:30 so breakfast was right in our routine - and he didn't even eat. Thats not unusal at all, but today I wanted him to leave full. Oh well, I served it and it was good. He won't come home until dinnertime, but we didn't discuss exactly when that should be and I'm not sure. I know he would have told me if I asked, but I didn't and I think he thinks I just know these things.

I feel silly asking, but I could use some help here. Islamicfinder says for my city, fajr is at 5:26 am and sunrise is at 6:41 am. I am suposed to be done with my coffee at 5:26, right? Thats what I will do but 6:41am would be much nicer. It also says that magrib is at 6:46pm - thats the earliest you serve dinner right? Or is it isha at 8:03pm? Thats generally an after dinner prayer, right?

its 523, I'll be back

3dflags_jor0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Hatem & Dawn

Dec 09, 2004 I130 sent to USCIS

Mar 02, 2006 Arrives in US

15 months start to finish for cr-1 from Amman with no RFEs, ARs or other bonus hang-ups

complete timeline in profile

Nov 27, 2007 Three year Annivrsary. Two more and I can apply for a Jordanian Passport, and then we're going to Cuba (Just because I can). can't wait...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Congratulations to all those who are finished the first day of Ramadan, especially for those whom it is the first time (huzzah) or who are pregnant. SubhanAllah, it takes sabr (patience).

I'm one of those who is doesn't phase :unsure: But, I think it will phase me when Ramadan is in the middle of July in a couple of years :wacko:

Dawn, for your questions, we stop eating at the first fajr adhan, so that would be at 5:26. And, we can eat come maghrib time, so you can serve dinner at 6:41. Now, I'm one to serve it right as soon as the adhan is done, and will eat a small helping ASAP. My husband on the other hand will not break his fast until after he's prayed maghrib, which used to po me off, because I'd get a nice meal all laid out for him, and then it would be cold by the time he got there :angry: But, then I realized he does that all year round anyways, so it doesn't bother me so much this year :P

Also, just as a reminder :) There are several authentic hadith that say something along these lines:

The Prophet (saws) said:

"The supplications of three persons are not rejected: the supplication of a fasting person at the time of breaking fast, of a just ruler, and of a person who is wronged. Allah causes their supplications to rise above the clouds, and gates of heaven are opened for them, and Allah says, 'By My Majesty, I will help you, even it be after a while'."

(Reported by Tirmidhi)

So, when you hear the maghrib athan and you're sitting down to eat, make dua! Don't miss the opportunity.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.