AndyMisiu

Staying in touch!!

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Again I think a cultural thing. My Fiancee is Filipino. I think we have missed 2 days of chatting in the last year and 1/2. It is very important for us to stay in touch. I know what you are going through though. She was raising her child when I first met her and was not working or going to school. I am putting her through nursing school now and our time to chat has been drastically curtailed. This is difficult on both of us.

Date I-129F Sent : 03/17/2006

Date I-129F NOA1: 04/03/2006

I-129F RFE(s) : 08/10/2006

I-129F RFE Reply(s) : 08/17/2006

Date I-129F NOA2 (Approved) : 08/18/2006

Date Package Received By NVC : 09/05/2006

Date Sent to Embassy: 09/18/2006 assigned number MNL2006743xxx

Date Embassy received 09/26/2006

letter-touched 10/17/2006

information on medical and interview 11/17/2006

Packet with Information 11/29/2006

Medical 1/12/2007

Interview 1/19/2007

Filed: Timeline

Andy, it's very hard trying to balance everything, elieve me...pretty much all of us know what you're talking about. Sometimes I push D to go out & experience all the things he's going to be missing....gigs,footy matches, piss ups with his friends, etc....and then I'm feeling sad cos all I'm doing is sat at home or working. Develop your own routine which makes you happy & keeps you busy. Your fiancee will be here soon enough and you won't have the time to waste like you do now. My thing is, I do things for myself. I go to the gym, shopping, do ridiculously long spa treatments, spending time with friends for hours and hours on end, etc...these things, I know, I will be pressed for time when he gets here & I will not have all this disposable time as I do now. I would say it'd be wise for you to look at it in this fashion, because imo, it really puts things into perspective.

Good luck!

I would suspect it's a personality thing rather than a cultural thing. Andy, I'm sort of like your fiancée w/r/t clinginess, so let me try to explain it from my perspective.

My fiancé and I talk every day. But there was a time when we would get into horrible arguments over when we should talk, how often we should talk, and I found it very controlling. I didn't want to spend every night waiting for a phone call -- I wanted to go out and hang out with my friends, or see a movie, or grab a drink with my roommate -- basically have as normal a life as possible. The last thing I wanted was to look back on my 20s and realize I spent it online.

I also hate e-mailing. E-mailing love notes drives me mad.

In our case, we resolved the problem by him relaxing & trusting me more and me keeping the lines of commmunication open. I may head out tonight with friends, but before I do, I'll probably give him a call to tell him I love him and not to wait up. Last night he went out visiting his cousin so he called me first.

I find that numerous short phone calls are better than one long one. It's also good to keep busy. IMO, there's nothing more dull than someone whimpering 'love you miss you' all the time. I'd rather hear about what he thought of a movie, or whether he had a good time visiting friends, or what book he likes. And to do that, we need to cut the apron strings a bit.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline
I would suspect it's a personality thing rather than a cultural thing. Andy, I'm sort of like your fiancée w/r/t clinginess, so let me try to explain it from my perspective.

My fiancé and I talk every day. But there was a time when we would get into horrible arguments over when we should talk, how often we should talk, and I found it very controlling. I didn't want to spend every night waiting for a phone call -- I wanted to go out and hang out with my friends, or see a movie, or grab a drink with my roommate -- basically have as normal a life as possible. The last thing I wanted was to look back on my 20s and realize I spent it online.

I also hate e-mailing. E-mailing love notes drives me mad.

In our case, we resolved the problem by him relaxing & trusting me more and me keeping the lines of commmunication open. I may head out tonight with friends, but before I do, I'll probably give him a call to tell him I love him and not to wait up. Last night he went out visiting his cousin so he called me first.

I find that numerous short phone calls are better than one long one. It's also good to keep busy. IMO, there's nothing more dull than someone whimpering 'love you miss you' all the time. I'd rather hear about what he thought of a movie, or whether he had a good time visiting friends, or what book he likes. And to do that, we need to cut the apron strings a bit.

Thank you for this post. You are absolutely correct in everything you just said. She is not clingy, she is very independent, and very laid back. She should be out enjoying her 20's and trying her best to pass time until we can be together.

I was doing it all wrong. I was locking myself inside my house and work cuddled up to my computer all the time. In the process I was losing who I was, the person she fell in love with. I was losing my personality. I was becoming boring and the subject of all our conversations were, I love you and I miss you. I probably did push her away a little bit with all of that. She just wants to keep her mind off of things and told me I should do the same.

So I went out last night and had a good time. I should be able to talk with her and keep the conversation light and cool. I do need to relax a little bit. Trust her, and take things one day at a time. I don't want to lose who I am in this process. I don't want her to lose who she is either.

Thanks again.

06/30/06- sent I-129F petition to VSC.

07/11/06- NOA1 (received in mail)

07/19/06- RFE received in mail, IMBRA

07/28/06- e-mail, IMBRA RFE received at VSC

09/11/06- called VSC, told I'm with an adjudicating officer

09/25/06- called VSC, told to file expedited service, outside 60 days of RFE received date

09/26/06- sent expedited service request to VSC via fax and snail mail

09/26/06- Senators and Congressman making inquiries into my petition

09/29/06- expedited service request approved by VSC director

10/04/06- e-mail NOA2 approved!!!!!!

10/05/06- NVC received

10/06/06- NVC forwarded to Poland Embassy

10/16/06- Packet #3 received

10/17/06- Packet #3 sent to US Embassy Warsaw

10/30/06- Packet #4 received

10/30/06- Interview scheduled for November 22nd!!!

11/30/06- Visa in hand, via DHL!!!!

12/05/06- Ania and I arrive together in the USA

02/11/07- Ania applied for Social Security Card

02/17/07- Ania and I were MARRIED!!!!!!

07/24/07- Social Security Card in hand- after some minor issues and a little procrastination :)

10/14/07- I-485, I-765, and permission to travel mailed to USCIS

10/17/07- Received NOA1

12/17/07- I-485 shipped to California Service Center for faster service

12/17/07- I-765 approved new card should be mailed within 30 days, Advanced parole approved

02/28/08- AOS APPROVED!!!! PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECEIVED!!!!! (card received couple weeks after approval)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Andy, you know you're co-dependent and insecure. So develop a group of supportive friends you can talk to, in person. This may not be a bunch of guys going to a football game.

While it's important to "have a life," it's equally important to understand your past life and how it made you the person you are now. If you're aware of your triggers and patterns, you'll have a better chance of stopping them.

It may be interesting to drop in on a few 12-step groups. Even if you're not abusing anything or anyone, it's interesting to hear the stories and get some insights. There are many common threads. You may meet people with valuable things to tell you.

We can talk forever about how many times we communicate with our fiances and spouses, but that's not the point. If you want to stop being clingy, try using this time to understand the reasons why you're insecure.

It's ironic that the title of this tread is "staying in touch," because the person you may not be in touch with enough is yourself.

(We're all on your side.)

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Paul and I talk everyday for a few hours at a time... it would have to be something extraordinary for us not to talk... and it is gonna happen when I am in England coz I will not have a puter at my disposal :blink:

Paul and I met on the Bazaar on the 14th January (he joined my progressive rock forum that day)

July 3rd he flew to England to meet me

We fell in love while he drove all over the place coz I cannot read maps (we were supposed to go to Ingleton - but touched Darlington 4 times, Pierce Bridge 6 times, Scotch Corner twice and Bernard Castle twice and we never did make it to Ingleton)

It has been so long and so much has happened in between...

Arrived in Houston on October 29th 2006

Married 17th November 2006

Lost my father 8th January 2007 (all dates are a blur after this)

Conditional Green Card dated 24th October 2007

I-751 posted on 6th August 2009

Received on 7th August 2009 in VT

Melo's Prog Bazaar

CTTE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I know how you feel when it comes the the distance. On the other hand, I am the female in the relationship. I want to spend every second I can with my SO. If he and I were together, after a while, we'd need some space, but we both want to spend all the time we can together now, and for a while after we are together again. It's hard I know, and though I will still want as much time as possible with him once he has been here a while, we will need some freedom. I don't think there are enough hours in a day, to tell you the truth. Ryan and I talk everyday, a couple times a day. We long for the next chance we get to spend time together.

I look at it this way, get to know other married couple. Be-friend them, so when your SO or yourself wants to go out with "friends" you will be able to trust. And when you go out, you can do the whole "group" scene, or just spend a night out with your SO alone.

Look at all the options and try to solve as many of the problems with more options. Let her know how you feel, and if she truly cares she will recognize it. You have to work on it together. Afterall, aren't relationships 50/50???

Our Timeline:

05.18.2006-I-129F Petition sent to NSC

05.19.2006-I-129F Petition rec'd by NSC

06.02.2006-Rec'd NOA1

06.30.2006-Rec'd RFE

07.03.2006-Sent RFE to CSC

07.11.2006-RFE rec'd by CSC - Reply

09.11.2006-*APPROVED*

09.18.2006-Rec'd NOA2

09.29.2006-Sent I-129F pkg

10.04.2006-Rec'd I-129F pkg

10.06.2006-Embassy sent packet3