w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Free anonymising browser (modified version of Firefox) debuts

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Interesting that you can basically surf the net off a USB drive or Ipod without saving anything directly to your PC.

I downloaded it last night out of curiosity. It certainly works, but you have to put up with a certain degree of slow-down. Slow-down that would probably put off anyone from using it EXCEPT those up to no good.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
if your net nazis spot encrypted traffic, odds are the one generating that might find their computer under the microscope, as the first thought will be industrial espionage. and also it should be mentioned that although the data stream might be garbled as they see it go by, that does not mean they can't see your desktop and the unencrypted information ;)

yes, you can delete the cache. easy to recover too.

it should also be noted that any it staff worth their salt will have the computers locked down where additional software cannot be installed, and those that are able to install it might find such "disappears" one day.

If you run your browser from a USB key (as the Torpark browser people suggest),

the cache would be stored on the key and there would be nothing for them to recover.

At the end of the day, you pull the key, put it in your pocket and go home, with your

browser cache.

As for "seeing my desktop" -- net admins don't have any magic powers that allow them

to observe what I'm doing on my machine. There are applications that can do that

and they could run some sort of a surreptitious monitoring service but it's not like

I wouldn't know about it if it's running on my machine. They could even bug my

keyboard (with a keylogging device) but again, I think I'd notice an extra bit of wiring

between my PC and my keyboard.

Of course, they could replace the entire OS with a custom-hacked system that reports

and logs everything I do, but how many companies would actually do that? And why?

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Of course, they could replace the entire OS with a custom-hacked system that reports

and logs everything I do, but how many companies would actually do that? And why?

Microsoft... to find out who leaked their code a while back. :P

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
If you run your browser from a USB key (as the Torpark browser people suggest),

the cache would be stored on the key and there would be nothing for them to recover.

At the end of the day, you pull the key, put it in your pocket and go home, with your

browser cache.

As for "seeing my desktop" -- net admins don't have any magic powers that allow them

to observe what I'm doing on my machine. There are applications that can do that

and they could run some sort of a surreptitious monitoring service but it's not like

I wouldn't know about it if it's running on my machine. They could even bug my

keyboard (with a keylogging device) but again, I think I'd notice an extra bit of wiring

between my PC and my keyboard.

good point about the usb key, provided your company does not have a security section that can shake you down in the name of corporate espionage when you leave the building.

don't bet on that - i've seen it done, where they are able to see everything you do while you are logged in ;)

key logging programs don't require any additional wires........

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline

It'll show up inTask Manager, won't it?

Interesting that you can basically surf the net off a USB drive or Ipod without saving anything directly to your PC.

I downloaded it last night out of curiosity. It certainly works, but you have to put up with a certain degree of slow-down. Slow-down that would probably put off anyone from using it EXCEPT those up to no good.

Yeah I downloaded it and tried it too. Performance sucks but then again, they told us it would.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

not the good ones

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

not the good ones

Even if you have "Show processes from all users" checked?

only thing some people notice is a slowdown in performance and the hard drive is being written to. IF they are swift enough to watch for those things and are not doing something that would slow the comp down (heavy browsing or writing to the disk anyways).

here is one such program.

link

IamBigBrother 9.0 will monitor your children in Instant Messages, Chats, Emails, Web Site URL's and much more - while running completely undetected by the user!

We test many of these and this is the best low-cost product. Not only do you see what your child types online, but what is said back as well. (It monitors both incoming and outgoing activity - no other program offers this feature.)

other offerings are as follows:

link

link

Optimal Stealth Mode - SpyBuddy offers unparalleled stealth mode features. SpyBuddy has the capabilities to hide itself from every Windows operating system, thus ensuring that when you put it in stealth mode, it will be completely hidden from the user!

link

link

it should be noted that installing and using software such as that above can get one crossways with law enforcement, even if used to monitor your own kids on the internet

oh and here's a corporate version on that last link: Spector CNE

Spector Corporate Network Edition is the worlds leading employee internet monitoring and recording software designed to provide you with accurate documentation of all PC and Internet activity within your business. Spector CNE will significantly prevent, reduce or eliminate the problems associated with Internet and PC abuse. When you absolutely need to know exactly what your employees are doing on the Internet, Spector CNE is the tool of choice.

Spector CNE will help your company:

• Conduct Investigations on Employees Suspected of Inappropriate Activity

• Increase Employee Productivity by Reducing Frivolous and Inappropriate Activity

• Eliminate Leaking of Confidential Information

• Recover Lost Crucial Communications (Email, Chat & Instant Messages)

• Assist Help Desk Staff With PC Recovery

• Meet or Exceed Federal, Industry or Agency Compliance Requirements for Keeping Records of Company Communications and Transactions.

Spector CNE allows you to install, configure, record and review Internet and PC activity across your network. With Spector CNE you will have a complete record of every Email sent and received, every Chat conversation and Instant Message, every Web Site visited, every Keystroke typed, every Application launched and detailed pictures of PC Activity via periodic screen Snapshots.

The Spector CNEkeylogger will record everything typed on the keyboard. Spector CNE not only logs standard alphanumeric keystrokes, but also tracks "hidden" characters and keystroke combinations, such as the Shift and Ctrl key, as well as “true” keystrokes which may otherwise appear differently on screen (such as an * when a password is typed).

Edited by charlesandnessa

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

not the good ones

Even if you have "Show processes from all users" checked?

It might install itself as a device driver and not a user-level process, but it's still

impossible to hide 100%. Think of it this way, if there was a bullet-proof way

to hide a keylogging program, someone would write a keylogging virus and infect

all computers in the world with it (if it can't be detected, it can't be removed, right?)

The best keyloggers are physical devices (USB sticks, basically) that connect your

keyboard to your PC or are custom-built into your keyboard.

There are ways around keyloggers, too. Things like virtual keyboards that you

click with your mouse. Mouse movements can be captured too but they are

utterly useless.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
it should be noted that installing and using software such as that above can get one crossways with law enforcement, even if used to monitor your own kids on the internet

If they dont know how you know... DONT TELL THEM.

simple solutions for a simple life. thats $85 as a consultant. pay up ppl... you read it :yes::P

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

Timeline
It might install itself as a device driver and not a user-level process, but it's still

impossible to hide 100%. Think of it this way, if there was a bullet-proof way

to hide a keylogging program, someone would write a keylogging virus and infect

all computers in the world with it (if it can't be detected, it can't be removed, right?)

The best keyloggers are physical devices (USB sticks, basically) that connect your

keyboard to your PC or are custom-built into your keyboard.

There are ways around keyloggers, too. Things like virtual keyboards that you

click with your mouse. Mouse movements can be captured too but they are

utterly useless.

invisible to most users, i doubt 99.9% of the population could spot one. that's why it's a good idea to have an anti-virus and anti-spyware scanner that looks for such. i had a keylogger trojan get loaded on my home comp in a drive by install by visiting a website and webroot spysweeper killed it immediately. :thumbs:

Edited by charlesandnessa

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline
invisible to most users, i doubt 99.9% of the population could spot one. that's why it's a good idea to have an anti-virus and anti-spyware scanner that looks for such. i had a keylogger trojan get loaded on my home comp in a drive by install by visiting a website and webroot spysweeper killed it immediately. :thumbs:

99% of the population couldn't spot a keylogger, and 99% of companies wouldn't

install keyloggers on their employees' PCs. Monitoring web access -- sure, many

(or most?) companies do that, but keylogging is going a bit too far.

Timeline

i'd really not bet the farm on that ;)

corporate espionage and people job hopping probably makes this more common than one might think.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

corporate espionage and people job hopping probably makes this more common than one might think.

How would keylogging help against either? You don't need to type anything to

copy the files you want to a USB stick. These days you can also copy files to

your PDA, cell phone or iPod. You can also use your cell phone to send the data

out, bypassing your company's network altogether. As for job hopping, how can

a company prevent you from finding a new job, if you are determined to do so?

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

How would keylogging help against either? You don't need to type anything to

copy the files you want to a USB stick. These days you can also copy files to

your PDA, cell phone or iPod. You can also use your cell phone to send the data

out, bypassing your company's network altogether. As for job hopping, how can

a company prevent you from finding a new job, if you are determined to do so?

I guess if your company has an entire 12 storey building dedicated to its I.T. Department, that might tip you off ;)