earinsound

Attorney vs. DIY

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I recommend the posts from those who have used your specific Consulate. :)

They are not all created equally.

Oh, and most def. look into DCF, and follow Yodrak's recommendation.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I would gladly pay a neurosurgeon to remove, and later replace, the part of my brain that obsesses over the process or perhaps get a hypnotist to send me to sleep while the process runs its course. Paperwork and details? Can handle those without a lawyer but then again my case is relatively straightforward....

I think any person with an eye for detail can complete this process without a lawyer. I also believe that there is an opportunity available to learn about the immigration process. I probably would hire a lawyer too if there were not so many other avenues to spend the money, but alas there are!!!!!!!!!!!

K1 Trip

6-23-2006: I-129 mailed

8-31-2006: K1 approved

11-15-2006: K1 Interview: done and visa approved

11-21-2006: K1 visa issued

11-27-2006: JFK as POE: Work authorized stamp on I-94

AOS Mission

12-16-2006: 1-485 + I-765 mailed

1-3-2007: NOA1 received: Notice date 12-28-2006

1-16-2007: Biometrics

1-17-2007: Case transferred to CSC

2-10-2007: I-693 RFE (whatever happened to the panel physician`s medical report?)

4-3-2007: Another I-693 RFE

5-8-2007: Resident Permit Card received Next Stop: February 6, 2009 (I-751)

Removal of Conditional Basis of Residency (Form I-751)

2-6-2009 Mailed Form 1-751:::VSC

2-14-2009 Received I-751 Receipt notice indicating one year extension of conditional residency status

3-6-2009 Biometrics:::::::::::::waiting for VSC

7-7-2009: E-mail notice received: Card production ordered

8-3-2009: 10year Green Card Received in the mail.

Naturalization Application (N-400)

2-16-2010: N-400 sent in..

4-2-2010: Biometrics

5-18-2010: Interview

6-16-2010: Certificate of Nat. received- Masterpiece is a USC!

7-16-2010: U.S Passport in hand

Filed: Timeline

Hello and thank you all for your very sound advice. I downloaded some of the forms yesterday and had a look through them. I think my case is pretty straightforward...I'm just hung up on the fact that I won't immediately have employment when I return. I'm going to do it myself. I just can't imagine paying someone $2000 to fill out a form for me and mail it. Plus one firm wants to charge me an additional $250 because I'm not the sole supporter!! The reason? "Because we have to get more paperwork from the joint sponsor." Huh? Actually, the attorneys don't have to do that---my father would!! :angry:

I emailed a friend who used to work with me here in Bangkok--he brought his fiancee over to the US, and helped three other friends do the same. Luckily he'll be here next month, so I can go over things with him.

Thanks again and GOOD LUCK to everyone! :D

I-129F Sent : 2006-09-25

Request for "Original signature": resent signature early October

I-129F NOA1 : November 8, 2006

NOA2: February 1st 2007!!!!

NVC: February 10th 2007

PACKET 3 arrived: February 28, 2007

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Translation:

I didn't use a lawyer and you shouldn't either = I'm willing to risk your future with my advice.

I couldn't agree more. I am so tired of hearing everyone bash bad lawyers they should just change the thread name to "Bash Immigration Lawyers". People have been laying blame at crappy lawyers forever.

But in my opinion, if you are smart enough to educate yourself and do the process correctly, then you're smart enough to find a good immigration lawyer that knows what they are talking about.

What I did? I did the entire package myself. I thought it looked good and it was ready to go.

I contacted a local immigration attorney, Alex Halow (google alex halow immigration) and he took the whole thing apart and did it entirely his way. The good thing was that I already knew what had to go in there. But because of some issues I had with income, proof, etc... he was able to 100% fix this thing so that the K1 package 'looked' impressive, ready for presentation at your local supreme court.

Needless to say I was impressed. He and I worked together on it in the end, including a backup co-sponsor package for my fiance to present at the Moscow interview (only if needed) to prevent an rfe. His office manager was also a notary. Everything in there was notarized. All the stuff that didn't need it... still notarized. Signed blue pages by my then fiance and by me that he was representing us ect. It was even accompanied by CD's that had scanned copies of every document page in the file (yes the cd's were sent to uscis and in the package for my wife - unless they lose the cd, there's no way they can misplace a document and then not be able to get it from the cd - eg less chance of an rfe).

You just don't hear people praising immigration attorney's in forums. All you see is the pissed off attitude because somebody got screwed by this or that lazy whatever and didn't do what they were supposed to do.. got sick, blah blah. I think those are some pretty lame attorney's. ####### happens.

The point is though, if you hire an attorney, YOU should already know what THEY are supposed to be doing for you. I don't think it's a good idea to hire one and then forget the entire process just because you've hired one. This is life surgery, and if you just trust someone to open you up and say they'll fix what's wrong and you don't even know what's going on then in some cases, I can see where you could deserve to have your hat handed to you.

pffft.

Regarding the 100% success rates, yes I do believe they are true. Someone in one of those threads talked about a very expensive west coast firm (which will remain nameless). I contacted `Mr Lawyer` myself back when I started this mess and explained my situation. Even if I did pay the $5000 retainer that they wanted at the time, he said there was no way he could guarantee success, and he didn't want to hurt his success rate, so he declined to take my case.

Heck I don't blame them. My case had some serious weak spots. But I wanted this package to show the departments to be that I was prepared to fight if need be, and that I had representation. And by the looks of the package, it looked like I had a freakin pit bull beside me.

My application zinged thru. At the embassy interview, they hardly even looked at the evidence or the app sent from nvc. Just said something like "I see you have a lawyer".. then struck up a conversation with our 7 year old son about how he felt about going to the USA. It was a breeze... (minus one minor screw up thing on our part that caused an rfe that was fixed very fast). My sorry butt got an approved case with all my lifes baggage.

My lawyer? I made installment payments via paypal, he was very easy going and this is all he does, immigration. Nothing else.

Value? Priceless.

Yes Red Foreman, call me a dumbass

I don't entirely agree.

The OP wants to hear opinions on the matter and most people here, given the nature of the forum, have chosen not to use a lawyer.

Using a lawyer depends on your situation. If you have a straightforward case and have some intelligence to fill out a few forms, I see no reason to hire a lawyer. Filling out the forms is not challenging, in and of itself.

I went through the entire DCF process without a lawyer. I'd like to think that my financial situation was a bit complicated since I was residing in the country where my husband was and did not work. I asked questions here on VisaJourney and got all of the answers I needed. This community helped tremendously. I felt comfortable with the responses I received here coupled with the responses I got directly from the Consulate.

This process is really not complicated, in terms of the paperwork, for the straightforward case.

--Z

Translation:

I didn't use a lawyer and you shouldn't either = I'm willing to risk your future with my advice.

I couldn't agree more. I am so tired of hearing everyone bash bad lawyers they should just change the thread name to "Bash Immigration Lawyers". People have been laying blame at crappy lawyers forever.

But in my opinion, if you are smart enough to educate yourself and do the process correctly, then you're smart enough to find a good immigration lawyer that knows what they are talking about.

What I did? I did the entire package myself. I thought it looked good and it was ready to go.

I contacted a local immigration attorney, Alex Halow (google alex halow immigration) and he took the whole thing apart and did it entirely his way. The good thing was that I already knew what had to go in there. But because of some issues I had with income, proof, etc... he was able to 100% fix this thing so that the K1 package 'looked' impressive, ready for presentation at your local supreme court.

Needless to say I was impressed. He and I worked together on it in the end, including a backup co-sponsor package for my fiance to present at the Moscow interview (only if needed) to prevent an rfe. His office manager was also a notary. Everything in there was notarized. All the stuff that didn't need it... still notarized. Signed blue pages by my then fiance and by me that he was representing us ect. It was even accompanied by CD's that had scanned copies of every document page in the file (yes the cd's were sent to uscis and in the package for my wife - unless they lose the cd, there's no way they can misplace a document and then not be able to get it from the cd - eg less chance of an rfe).

You just don't hear people praising immigration attorney's in forums. All you see is the pissed off attitude because somebody got screwed by this or that lazy whatever and didn't do what they were supposed to do.. got sick, blah blah. I think those are some pretty lame attorney's. ####### happens.

The point is though, if you hire an attorney, YOU should already know what THEY are supposed to be doing for you. I don't think it's a good idea to hire one and then forget the entire process just because you've hired one. This is life surgery, and if you just trust someone to open you up and say they'll fix what's wrong and you don't even know what's going on then in some cases, I can see where you could deserve to have your hat handed to you.

pffft.

Regarding the 100% success rates, yes I do believe they are true. Someone in one of those threads talked about a very expensive west coast firm (which will remain nameless). I contacted `Mr Lawyer` myself back when I started this mess and explained my situation. Even if I did pay the $5000 retainer that they wanted at the time, he said there was no way he could guarantee success, and he didn't want to hurt his success rate, so he declined to take my case.

Heck I don't blame them. My case had some serious weak spots. But I wanted this package to show the departments to be that I was prepared to fight if need be, and that I had representation. And by the looks of the package, it looked like I had a freakin pit bull beside me.

My application zinged thru. At the embassy interview, they hardly even looked at the evidence or the app sent from nvc. Just said something like "I see you have a lawyer".. then struck up a conversation with our 7 year old son about how he felt about going to the USA. It was a breeze... (minus one minor screw up thing on our part that caused an rfe that was fixed very fast). My sorry butt got an approved case with all my lifes baggage.

My lawyer? I made installment payments via paypal, he was very easy going and this is all he does, immigration. Nothing else.

Value? Priceless.

DCF (Germany)

April 7, 2006 - Married

April 15, 2006 - I-130 sent to Frankfurt Consulate

April 22, 2006 - I-130 returned to us (personal checks not acceptable)

April 24, 2006 - I-130 resubmitted with Credit Card Payment Form

June 14, 2006 - I-130 Approved

June 15, 2006 - Packet 3 Received

June 16, 2006 - OF-169 & Passport (Biographical Page Only) faxed to the Consulate

June 17, 2006 - DS 230 Part 1 & OF-169 mailed to the Consulate

June 26, 2006 - Packet 4 Received

June 27, 2006 - Medical Examination in Berlin

July 21, 2006 - Interview at Frankfurt Consulate

July 21, 2006 - Visa Approved!

August 22, 2006 - America!

July 26, 2008 - I-751 sent to VSC

August 1, 2008 - Check cashed

August 1, 2008 - NOA-1 received

September 9, 2008 - Biometics Appointment

March 12, 2009 - Transfer from VSC to CSC?

March 16, 2009 - Approved (10-year green card should be mailed within 60 days)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.