31 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Okay so I just got an email back from the US consulate and to my absolute annoyance my packet 3 has been sitting in my fiancees emails since July 12 (Boy did she get an earful). Anyway when filling out the for a co-sponsor do her parents have to fill out the I-134?

Yes, she has to fill out an I-134, and then one of her parents will fill out their own I-134.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Now how big of a deal is the money? I've been having trouble finding work for 6 months so haven't had much money but recently found 2 jobs so I'm working both to get some money together but it's still not going to look good when I go for my interview and I plan on staying in Australia till I've got the money required to go over there.

I plan on telling them I have a car to sell.

When I get over to the US I'm pretty much going to be set up till I find a job, my Fiancees parents are extremely nice and own 2 houses and they're letting us have one till I can get on my feet over there and start making some money so the housing and food isn't a problem. What are the chances they'll reject me on this?

Also couldn't I just get someone I know to put some money into my account for me and then after they can take it out again? My only problem with that is it looks suspicious if I just get a load of money into my account. I'm pretty worried this might mess up my whole visa..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I understand its possible to use the beneficiary's offshore assets at 5 times the shortfall. Don't do the instant transfer - not worth the risk. My situation is similar to yours and I will be using my savings + the equity in my Sydney property to exceed our household's povery line. We are determined to avoid the co-sponsorship path. Here is some info. from an immigration lawyer regarding offshore assets:

Q: I have no income and have no valuable assets in the U.S., but I have a house in China with a current value of US$100,000. Does it count?

A: Yes. You may count significant assets outside the U.S. as long as your assets are readily convertible to cash within 13 months.

Q: How can I determine that my assets are sufficient to meet the financial support requirements?

A:The value of your assets less any offsetting liabilities must exceed by at least 5 times the poverty lines minus the sponsors household income.

For example: Mr. Smith has an annual income of $2,490. If the federal poverty line for a 2-member household is $12,490. He must show that the value of his assets is not less than ($12,490-$2490) x 5 = $50,000.

Q: What evidence of assets may I submit?

A: Evidence of assets includes almost all tangible or intangible properties. Usually they are: a. bank statements covering the last 12 months; b. stocks, bonds, and other securities; c. personal property; d. real estate.

Good luck!

Sakeena & Richard

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok heres the deal, it seems no one has told you that your Fiancee must meet %125 of the poverty guidelines for her to sponsor you see the link below. If she doesnt meet the poverty line then her parent can sponsor you if they meet %125 of the poverty line.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

If you received packet 3 Jul 12 you better get the I-134 from her and her parent asap.

My Proposal to kristine!!! :)

I-129F Sent : 2011-01-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-01-25

I-129F RFE(s): NONE!!!

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-06-02

Interview Date : 2011-09-01

Interview Result : Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

If her parents are willing to become co-sponsors then they need to fill out an I-134 as well as yourself. It is better to have a co-sponsor and not need them then to not have them fill out the paperwork and be denied.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi,

I understand its possible to use the beneficiary's offshore assets at 5 times the shortfall. Don't do the instant transfer - not worth the risk. My situation is similar to yours and I will be using my savings + the equity in my Sydney property to exceed our household's povery line. We are determined to avoid the co-sponsorship path. Here is some info. from an immigration lawyer regarding offshore assets:

Q: I have no income and have no valuable assets in the U.S., but I have a house in China with a current value of US$100,000. Does it count?

A: Yes. You may count significant assets outside the U.S. as long as your assets are readily convertible to cash within 13 months.

Q: How can I determine that my assets are sufficient to meet the financial support requirements?

A:The value of your assets less any offsetting liabilities must exceed by at least 5 times the poverty lines minus the sponsors household income.

For example: Mr. Smith has an annual income of $2,490. If the federal poverty line for a 2-member household is $12,490. He must show that the value of his assets is not less than ($12,490-$2490) x 5 = $50,000.

Q: What evidence of assets may I submit?

A: Evidence of assets includes almost all tangible or intangible properties. Usually they are: a. bank statements covering the last 12 months; b. stocks, bonds, and other securities; c. personal property; d. real estate.

Good luck!

Sakeena & Richard

Please remember that the interviewing officer has sole discretion as to what is accepted as assets for the purposes of the affidavit of support. If the CO feels that the assets would not be easily converted into cash or that the liquidation would impose a significant hardship to the owner/sponsor then that asset will not be considered.

Regarding real estate you would need to supply a recent valuation done by a licensed professional to establish a market value. Also you would submit any mortgages or liens along with certificate of title.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

I had a similar issue.

My US fiancee (the petitioner) is currently unemployed with less than $1000 to her name.

So we had to get co-sponsors.

Both the Petitioner and the co-sponsor fills out I-134 forms, so not just the co-sponsor.

It's not an issue at all as long as the co-sponsor is of close relation to the petitioner and they meet the requirements and submit the required documents.

Co-sponsors are normally only an issue if the petitioner are in a position where they are not likely to be working, therefore be a public charge, they will assume they you will be also. So only if the petitioner has been on welfare for time will this be a problem.

If your US fiancee is a student and her parents are willing to sponsor and they meet the requirements, you will have no issue! Just make sure your fiancee fills in an I-134 as well as the co-sponsor.

Good luck!

Gray

___________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Gray and I'm originally from Perth, Western Australia, my wife Bry is from Montana.
We met in June 2010, got engaged in November 2010, and married in January 2012!
We are now living together in Montana.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

07/04/2015: Applicable for Naturalization

For my full K-1/AOS/AP/EA/ROC process see my timeline here: http://goo.gl/AyNVBd
Check out my Flickr Page here: http://goo.gl/Yx4THU

I had a similar issue.

My US fiancee (the petitioner) is currently unemployed with less than $1000 to her name.

So we had to get co-sponsors.

Both the Petitioner and the co-sponsor fills out I-134 forms, so not just the co-sponsor.

It's not an issue at all as long as the co-sponsor is of close relation to the petitioner and they meet the requirements and submit the required documents.

Co-sponsors are normally only an issue if the petitioner are in a position where they are not likely to be working, therefore be a public charge, they will assume they you will be also. So only if the petitioner has been on welfare for time will this be a problem.

If your US fiancee is a student and her parents are willing to sponsor and they meet the requirements, you will have no issue! Just make sure your fiancee fills in an I-134 as well as the co-sponsor.

Good luck!

Gray

Congratulations on your visa approval!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Okay so I just got an email back from the US consulate and to my absolute annoyance my packet 3 has been sitting in my fiancees emails since July 12 (Boy did she get an earful). Anyway when filling out the for a co-sponsor do her parents have to fill out the I-134?

Ok I don't mean to be rude but your fiancee let the packet 3 sit in her inbox for a month? A whole month wasted? Are you sure she wants you there after all this? Is just a question is all. SO if she has no income I take it you paid for the petition? or her parents helped out?

As she is going to need a co sponsor yes both fill in 134 affidavit of support. I wish you luck

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Ok I don't mean to be rude but your fiancee let the packet 3 sit in her inbox for a month? A whole month wasted? Are you sure she wants you there after all this? Is just a question is all. SO if she has no income I take it you paid for the petition? or her parents helped out?

As she is going to need a co sponsor yes both fill in 134 affidavit of support. I wish you luck

Well she is absolutely sure it wasn't in her inbox when she checked, I don't know if I believe her but to her defense she hasn't had a computer for the last 2 months but could have easily accessed one. The annoying thing is that If I hadn't had the initiative to contact them I wouldn't have even known they'd sent it and there goes our whole process and she just keeps saying it's fine it'll work itself out. Grr! I guess one of us has to be the mature one :)

To answer your other question we paid half, half for the visa. She does have an income. She's just on minimum wage so doesn't make much.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Well she is absolutely sure it wasn't in her inbox when she checked, I don't know if I believe her but to her defense she hasn't had a computer for the last 2 months but could have easily accessed one. The annoying thing is that If I hadn't had the initiative to contact them I wouldn't have even known they'd sent it and there goes our whole process and she just keeps saying it's fine it'll work itself out. Grr! I guess one of us has to be the mature one :)

To answer your other question we paid half, half for the visa. She does have an income. She's just on minimum wage so doesn't make much.

Oh ok cool 1/2 for the petition cool. SO you need to have your medical and police report or have you had that done already? HHHmmmmm I agree she could have easily checked this and obviously not that excited to get you here . I hope this works out for you. You will pay for your visa at post office before interview stage.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Oh ok cool 1/2 for the petition cool. SO you need to have your medical and police report or have you had that done already? HHHmmmmm I agree she could have easily checked this and obviously not that excited to get you here . I hope this works out for you. You will pay for your visa at post office before interview stage.

Well I just got my package 3 today so went down to the local police station and got my fingerprints done and they'll send them to Brisbane and from there to the Sydney consulate. I'm calling the doctors in the morning to make an appointment to get it all check out, I'll also fill out all the forms tomorrow as well and then I've just got to wait for my medical. I'll go send the DS-230? I think that's what it's called as well tomorrow.

Working 2 jobs to get the money together for this. I hope it works out as well. I have to agree that she may not seem like she misses me but she tells me daily that she misses me and can't wait for me to get back she just sucks at doing anything. One of those people who's gotta be told a million times to do something before she does it. Oh well. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Why are they sending packet 3 to the petitioner? Don't they usually send packet 3 to the beneficiary? :unsure:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

What is more important is the sponsor's income and that you won't become a public charge to the government, thus she needs to meet a minimum income requirement. She is allowed to have someone co-sponsor with her using their income also. She and her co-sponsor are in essence signing that they will be responsible in paying back any monies that you may collect from the government. Your money, from my understanding, is not important and will not help at all. They may look at your income as help, but I highly doubt it. You could leave the country with your money and they would have no recourse to get that money back. So that is probably why you need someone to sponsor you (or co-sponsor) here that is a citizen or permanet resident.

They went over that with a fine-tooth comb at my interview, because they asked about my taxes from last year. I always file an extension, but I included the W2 from last year along with the year taxes prior to that. So proof of income is important. You also have to include support for resources of income that is included in the sponsor document. This includes a letter from your employer (which I included just in case) and a letter from the bank showing how much money you have and how long it has resided in the account.

So I do think that receiving a large deposit within months of the interview may throw a red flag, and you will have to explain the source. My philosophy is it is always better to be safe than sorry.

09/08/2008 - Began emailing each other

07/04/2010 - Began communicating regularly

12/25/2010 - Met in Australia for holidays

12/27/2010 - Became engaged in Margaret River

01/20/2011 - Purchased ticket to visit her in Colombia

01/29/2011 - I-129F Sent

01/31/2011 - I-129F received and signed by USCIS

02/09/2011 - Check cleared bank

02/11/2011 - Received NOA1

02/14/2011 - Touched

02/17/2011 - Service Request response received

03/02/2011 - I-129F Approved

03/08/2011 - Received NOA2 approval letter

03/21/2011 - Case forwarded to Bogota

03/24/2011 - Received NVC letter. Sent email to Bogota Embassy.

03/25/2011 - Received response from embassy to download instruction package.

03/30/2011 - Emailed fiancee DS-230 & DS-2100 to embassy for interview.

03/31/2011 - Received confirmation of documents submitted to embassy.

05/10/2011 - Visa interview scheduled but later postponed by us.

07/19/2011 - Visa Approved

07/30/2011 - Visa picked up at Domesa office.

I filled out the paperwork as the sponsor and attached my tax paperwork, I make enough to meet the level demanded. She makes pennies compared to me and manages to do more with less. I think I will give her the checkbook to balance when she comes over!

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Do you really think they would conduct a background check on a bank account? I doubt they really have the resources to do that unless it was really suspicious - I was more under the impression that any large recent deposits had to be 'explained' so therefore as long as you have a legitimate reason for a large deposit i.e. recently acquiring inheritance money or money from parents that is say a 'wedding gift' for example and can prove it by form of a letter or other evidence then its ok. This of course completely depends on your situation however I think all consulates are different and I think they look at the whole situation. I think getting the parents to act as co-sponsor is the safest bet, good luck!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.