I AM NOT THAT GUY

Continuing to Dumb Down America: Failing Schools Except from Testing

72 posts in this topic

Instead of holding folks accountable... we'll just lower the standards. Great job!

This is the equivalent of a participation trophy for all schools.

And should the fed be involved? Absolutely not. The federal government has no business doing anything at all with education.

Heaven forbid that we damage fragile children's self esteem by rating and grading them, and letting them fail and be picked last for PE softball games. :whistle:

It's not like public school is meant to prepare our kids for life in a competitive and capitalistic world based on results and performance. :whistle:

Yikes! :blink:

Calling all parents: Work 3 jobs if ya have to, but put your kids in a private school of your choice, where they WILL equip your kid to be a functional, stable, contributing member of society, instead of Jr. Ghetto Gangstas! :thumbs:

public-school1.jpg

Edited by Boing!

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Timeline

And so? That doesn't answer why you think specifically schools are solely under state jurisdiction and not the Fed.

Look we all know that you are only going to agree with anything that establishes a centralized government in Washington controlling all facets of our lives from cradle to grave.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

It is not the Feds right to do this. At the most the states have a right to set guidelines on school districts if the localities want a school district. It is best at the local level as locally we can judge how much and what level of schooling we want. The most the Feds can do is say that all schools must adopt whatever and that creates a cookie cutter approach that lessens the education overall for a country.

You can't just make up rights and expect nobody to call you out on your bullsh!t. The federal government can step in and dictate when the state or local agency is not doing an adequate job. Schools should have some leeway to adhere to local guidelines, but not if they are trying to teach nonsense ####### like creationism in schools.

Look we all know that you are only going to agree with anything that establishes a centralized government in Washington controlling all facets of our lives from cradle to grave.

Right, so now we're basing everything on ignorant stereotypes?

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

You're deflecting. I've asked you a fair and pointed question to explain your argument why you think that the Fed has no jurisdiction over public schools. Surely you've based your view on something substantive beyond mere opinion. I mean, opinions are great, but they're no substitute for the U.S. Constitution.

Edited by DFH

The Feds have no business telling the states how we should educate. Abolish the Department of Education. It is the states right to do what we think is best.

Huzza!

And so? That doesn't answer why you think specifically schools are solely under state jurisdiction and not the Fed.

Anything not specifically outlined in the constitution is left to the states. That pretty much sums up why the fed has no part in education.

put your kids in a private school of your choice, where they WILL equip your kid to be a functional, stable, contributing member of society, instead of Jr. Ghetto Gangstas!

I graduated from public school and I turned out just fine.

It's pretty obvious why you'd want education to be centrally controlled, at least to some degree

I don't want anything to be centrally controlled to any degree.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Yeah well that's a given isn't it. A predictable, kneejerk response from you slim, all gut no brain.

Or fact-based and constitutionally supported information on the legality of something like the DOEd. and NCLB.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

You have provided no facts slim. It's kneejerk ####### until you do.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people

Русский форум член.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people

^This.

The part of the US Constitution the federal government has completely ignored since (and arguably including) the Civil War.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Well, ain't it funny how you criticize the federal government getting too much into the business of the states and then you turn around and criticize when the feds get out of the business of the states. You want more autonomy for the states or less? Make up your mind, will ya'?

Your friend in Wisconsin, Hosni Walker, was one of the first in declaring he'd be taking advantage of this.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

I just wanted to know what everybody else thinks about this. What has been happening so far is that every year, the percentage of students required to pass the yearly test has gone up in order for the school to be judged acceptable by the federal gov't. Eventually it will be required that every student pass whatever test a state gives. If a school has one student who doesn't pass the test, then the school is not acceptable.

Anybody have an opinion on that?

If the test is actually subject to a curriculum tat emphasizes learning and critical thinking, then schools definitely ought to be held accountable for teaching their students to think. State or national government, there is no difference in accountability. Maybe the standards ought to be publicized more for those that have serious issues with both thinking and learning to calm down a bit on their anti-government rants.

As it stands, its a hard leap to send schools (and obviously the communities and the students) into disarray by punishing them all when their local systems fail at getting students to overcome not just the academic issues they have- but the social and family ones that affect academic performance.

If the test is actually subject to a curriculum tat emphasizes learning and critical thinking, then schools definitely ought to be held accountable for teaching their students to think. State or national government, there is no difference in accountability. Maybe the standards ought to be publicized more for those that have serious issues with both thinking and learning to calm down a bit on their anti-government rants.

As it stands, its a hard leap to send schools (and obviously the communities and the students) into disarray by punishing them all when their local systems fail at getting students to overcome not just the academic issues they have- but the social and family ones that affect academic performance.

But do you agree with the only acceptable passing standard for a school is 100%?