Ramsis

married before entering on K-1

91 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ramsis

All what our brothers and sisters here said is true

You never wana lie to USCIS or even anyone, you only get troubles man.

Here is what I would do, talk to her and her family about these concerns and the outcome of such thing, and then tell them either they agree and trust you to send her and get married in the US and obey the law, or tell them that K1 is not the visa yet and go for a CR-1 after getting married in Egypt

CR-1 from filling till getting the visa can take between 5 and 8 months for Egypt, depending on many factors as every case is different

My case was considered fast since my I-130 was approved in 19 days, but yet it took 5 month WITHOUT any troubles or delays, so you better be prepared for that

Let me know if you need further help

Good Luck

YA ALAH Bless Our Joureny To The End , Ameen

Je T'aime Till My Dying Day

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

i think you can do this:

after getting a K1 visa,you hold a tradional wedding ceremoney in Egypt and do not register in the government office. this will not break any law. not sure if her parents would accept it. when she arrives USA then register a marriage in USA.

That is still marriage......marriage is marriage period.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks everyone. Here is the decision we came up with:

My arrival to Egypt is scheduled on 09/22

the wedding is on 09/23

honeymoon is already reserved also

1st: We thought about me sending a specified power of attorney intended for "marriage purpose only" to someone like a relative or a friend, we are trying to convince her brother to do it. and if agrees then i will mail her the power of attorney and they get the marriage certificate done. then i cancel the K1 visa and get the new documents for CR1 ready and file as soon as i receive the translated/certified Egyptian marriage certificate. its an attempt to buy some time instead of waiting until i file after i come back to the US from the wedding in Egypt & Honeymoon.

or

2nd: If we cant find a way to get a marriage done via power of attorney. then we will just get married according to plan and i will have all the documents ready to be mailed except for the marriage certificate and i will just mail it to USCIS from Egypt while in honeymoon :(

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

the wedding is on 09/23

1st: We thought about me sending a specified power of attorney intended for "marriage purpose only" to someone like a relative or a friend, we are trying to convince her brother to do it. and if agrees then i will mail her the power of attorney and they get the marriage certificate done. then i cancel the K1 visa and get the new documents for CR1 ready and file as soon as i receive the translated/certified Egyptian marriage certificate. its an attempt to buy some time instead of waiting until i file after i come back to the US from the wedding in Egypt & Honeymoon.

or

2nd: If we cant find a way to get a marriage done via power of attorney. then we will just get married according to plan and i will have all the documents ready to be mailed except for the marriage certificate and i will just mail it to USCIS from Egypt while in honeymoon :(

Are you talking about a proxy marriage? That is an option but you just have to check on if it is legal in Egypt or not and what caveats there are. I know in Russia and Ukraine it is a legal marriage and it has been accepted by USCIS but I read thread from a petitioner who's wife is in Brazil and they don't recognize it as legal until the marriage is consumated.

Glad to see that you are taking everyones info about not lying on the petitions. Just to throw my hat in to the ring you also have to keep in mind that since you would be a willing party to the fraud, that there are criminal penalties that you would face also. something like a $25000 fine and jail time. No matter what anyone tells you, it isn't worth it.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: Timeline

From what I understand marriage by proxy (by power of attorney) does not have a very good success rate for immigration and instead of shortening your time, my make it longer. Go there and get married and collect lots of evidence. Pics with you 2 together and family and if possible notarized statements from family members it is real marriage entered in good faith and save boarding passes, get any hotels on honeymoon etc... in both names and keep for evidence, you will need it. Boarding passes from plane trip etc..

the wedding is on 09/23

or

Proxy marriage is not a valid or petitionable marriage until it is consummated (ie the people have been in the same place together).

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

In an officially Muslim country, under shariah, a nikah is a fully legal, fully binding marriage certificate. Period, full-stop, end-of-story. If it's filled out and signed, the couple is married, and the US consulate will see it that way, regardless of whether the local government has been informed or not.

I wonder if it would be possible to do a ceremonial marriage, followed by a ceremonial divorce (without telling her parents, obviously) prior to PoE. She could then honestly tell the PoE she is not married, and you two could do another nikah and courthouse legal wedding in the US.

This is just brainstorming though. I sincerely doubt any devout Muslim woman would ever willingly undergo a secret ceremonial divorce and later remarriage.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

Proxy marriage is approved in Egypt through power of attorney as of what I know

you are gonna be in Egypt GOD willing by 09/22

First: Power of attorney is pain in the As* to get it done here, I started one for some finance managing in Egypt, and the process can take as little as 5 days up to 15 days depending on where you are and how far you are from different places you need to go to and get that done

The hassle behind this process beside the hassle you might encounter with immigration for proxy marriage is not simple or little, Think about it again may be you come with a better solution, if not then take the decision and start

Good Luck

the wedding is on 09/23

or

Timeline

The main issue is that her family doesnt wana send her while she is not married to him , if she get divorced then she is not married, back to zero again.

also in countries like Egypt divorce is not an easy decision to just take it for the sake of immigration as it touches and effect the man/woman reputation, and always considered negative thing when you need to marry someone else, and questiones are asked really.

divorced girl just after being married is something ppl would raise their eyebrow for.

Just thought t explain it really quick

In an officially Muslim country, under shariah, a nikah is a fully legal, fully binding marriage certificate. Period, full-stop, end-of-story. If it's filled out and signed, the couple is married, and the US consulate will see it that way, regardless of whether the local government has been informed or not.

I wonder if it would be possible to do a ceremonial marriage, followed by a ceremonial divorce (without telling her parents, obviously) prior to PoE. She could then honestly tell the PoE she is not married, and you two could do another nikah and courthouse legal wedding in the US.

This is just brainstorming though. I sincerely doubt any devout Muslim woman would ever willingly undergo a secret ceremonial divorce and later remarriage.

Proxy marriage is approved in Egypt through power of attorney as of what I know

you are gonna be in Egypt GOD willing by 09/22

First: Power of attorney is pain in the As* to get it done here, I started one for some finance managing in Egypt, and the process can take as little as 5 days up to 15 days depending on where you are and how far you are from different places you need to go to and get that done

The hassle behind this process beside the hassle you might encounter with immigration for proxy marriage is not simple or little, Think about it again may be you come with a better solution, if not then take the decision and start

Good Luck

Did you read what I wrote? In USCIS's eyes, a proxy marriage is NOT a legal marriage until it has been consummated, no matter if it was legal in the country where it was performed. If someone petitions for a proxy marriage and has not seen their spouse since the marriage, they will be denied for a visa because they do not have a valid marriage for USCIS.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

So much noise to avoid confronting family? Dude, you are already waiting for a K1 visa has 3 months, right? You are under Vermont, and this NOA2 could come before you know it, and even if it takes a little longer it gives you time to find a better solution, to make her family understand, etc.

Since you just said that you'll travel there, why not use this time you'll spend with your fiancee to EXPLAIN CRYSTAL CLEAR what the process it's like and why this is the best route, to her family. I do understand families there are/can be totally different than in another countries, but you're first thinking of doing some crazy stuff, then withdraw your petition, proxy marriage, bla bla bla.. when the only thing you SHOULD do is, man up, go there, have your fiancee beside you and TALK to her family. You'll waste 3 months, money, heart and time that you already gained with VSC, to just please the family, to avoid this conversation?

AND IF when you get there, to do all of what you just said, you receive the approval from VSC before you withdraw your petition? You'll start all over the process, to do a CR-1, which it COULD take even longer than the K1. Does that really worth it? I mean, reading through all the posts, replies and all here... this last plan you had seems so surreal to me. Think wise, does it worth spend all this money, time and heart instead of talking to her family? Unless she'll be put in risk if she doesn't marry with you in Egypt, I don't see a reason to do all of that. That's my two cents. Think wise, think twice before you do anything. Good luck.

Carolina.

Edited by MatthewNCarolina

03/17/2011- Mailed K1 petition

03/25/2011- Email and text NOA1, routed to VSC

03/25/2011- Check cashed

07/05/2011- NOA2, USCIS website, text and email!
10/04/2011- Interview, APPROVED!
10/23/2011- POE - Dulles
11/08/2011- WEDDING!
11/15/2011- Applied for SSN
01/18/2012- AOS package sent
01/24/2012- NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP
01/25/2012- Check cashed for AOS
02/16/2012- AOS & EAD biometrics
02/13/2012- AOS case transferred to CSC
02/21/2012- AOS application received at CSC
03/15/2012- EAD/AP cards approved
03/26/2012- EAD/AP combo card received
07/30/2012- Service Request on AOS, past 6 months mark...
08/28/2012- Ombudsman & Senator contacted, past 7 months mark...
09/04/2012- AOS Approved!
09/10/2012- GC in hand!

08/13/2014- Mailed I-751(ROC) package to VSC

08/15/2014- Delivered

08/18/2014- NOA1/Letter of Extension

08/20/2014- Check cashed

09/17/2014- Biometrics

02/18/2015- Card Production Ordered/ Approved!

ejXGm5.pngSDeHm4.png

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Be fierce! Be consistent, know no bounds, take pleasure in the little things, make love your sole focus, don't submit until you have absolutely no way out........

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

So much noise to avoid confronting family? Dude, you are already waiting for a K1 visa has 3 months, right? You are under Vermont which it COULD mean you'll probably wait a little longer until you receive the NOA2.

Since you just said that you'll travel there, why not use this time you'll spend with your fiancee to EXPLAIN CRYSTAL CLEAR what the process it's like and why this is the best route. I do understand families there can be totally different than in another countries, but you're first thinking of doing some crazy stuff, then withdraw your petition, proxy marriage, bla bla bla.. when the only thing you SHOULD do is, man up, go there, have your fiancee beside you and TALK to her family. You'll waste 3 months, money, heart and time that you already gained with VSC, to just please the family, to avoid this conversation?

AND IF when you get there, to do all of what you just said, you receive the approval from VSC before you withdraw your petition? You'll start all over the process, to do a CR-1, which it COULD take even longer than the K1. Does that really worth? I mean, reading through all the posts, replies and all here... this last plan you had seems so surreal to me. Think wise, does it worth spend all this money, time and heart instead of talking to her family? Unless she'll be put in risk if she doesn't marry with you in Egypt, I don't see a reason to do all of that. That's my two cents. Think wise, think twice before you do anything. Good luck.

Carolina.

if the girl is muslim there is pretty much no chance she will be able to travel to the usa on k1 visa her family will never allow it.

sara

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

the wedding is on 09/23

or

I am not sure why you are freaking out so much about sending the documents. Here is the advice I would give where you can get your paperwork done and you can enjoy your honeymoon.

Go as per your plan get married, enjoy the honeymoon, take with you all the forms or you cna print them when you are there since some forms like G325 needs her signature and other forms where you need her signature get her signature.

Ask her brother or someone to get docs translated while you guys are on honeymoon they dont require you in person.

When you have your packet ready you can come back as per your plan to US and then send everything togeather. Sending couple weeks here or there is not going to make any diff.

if the girl is muslim there is pretty much no chance she will be able to travel to the usa on k1 visa her family will never allow it.

sara

Right, I see. But if there is 1% of chance? I hope OP think twice before doing anything that could ruin all of his chances to be with the one he loves. By the way, when he started this K1 process, he had to tell the family, if so... didn't they agree with the process, were they aware she would have to get legally married in the U.S? :huh:

Anyway, good luck.

03/17/2011- Mailed K1 petition

03/25/2011- Email and text NOA1, routed to VSC

03/25/2011- Check cashed

07/05/2011- NOA2, USCIS website, text and email!
10/04/2011- Interview, APPROVED!
10/23/2011- POE - Dulles
11/08/2011- WEDDING!
11/15/2011- Applied for SSN
01/18/2012- AOS package sent
01/24/2012- NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP
01/25/2012- Check cashed for AOS
02/16/2012- AOS & EAD biometrics
02/13/2012- AOS case transferred to CSC
02/21/2012- AOS application received at CSC
03/15/2012- EAD/AP cards approved
03/26/2012- EAD/AP combo card received
07/30/2012- Service Request on AOS, past 6 months mark...
08/28/2012- Ombudsman & Senator contacted, past 7 months mark...
09/04/2012- AOS Approved!
09/10/2012- GC in hand!

08/13/2014- Mailed I-751(ROC) package to VSC

08/15/2014- Delivered

08/18/2014- NOA1/Letter of Extension

08/20/2014- Check cashed

09/17/2014- Biometrics

02/18/2015- Card Production Ordered/ Approved!

ejXGm5.pngSDeHm4.png

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Be fierce! Be consistent, know no bounds, take pleasure in the little things, make love your sole focus, don't submit until you have absolutely no way out........

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Correct me other Vj'ers if I am wrong: I believe the process for people who are married is not that much longer than the K1 process? I have to say I agree with other voicing the frustration we feel when we try to walk a thin line to obey every law and such then other people try to cut corners and not worry about the laws. I understand, though, that desperation of missing your finace but the cost is so not worth following the laws. And they ALWAYS find you sooner or later. Too bad you cannot make arrangements for her folks to visit here to see her marry you according to their traditions, etc. Maybe there is a way to make a compromise that honors her culture but obeys immigration law?

7/15/11 Sent K1 Petition to Lockbox

8/10/11 STILL NO NOA1!

8/12/11 Called USCIS to get receipt number-NOA1 will be resent

8/16/11 Received NOA1 with date of 7/20/11

1/3/12 NOA2!!!

1/12/12 Got email notice we are through the NVC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.