rostov007

Got Pink!

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

From what I've read, there seem to be four typical interview experiences in HCMC.

1. See Pink, all smiles, very short, Get Pink.

2. See Pink, tough questioning, no smiles, get Pink.

3. See Blue, tough questions, turns to Pink.

3. See Blue, get Blue.

Ours was #2. She arrived an hour early at 7am, then was allowed inside, received her waiting number, then sat for 2 hours waiting to be called. When her number was called, she came to the window and gave our interview package to the CO, who had a neutral disposition and didn't smile or act friendly, all business. She returned to her seat after seeing Pink already. This caused her anxiety level to drop and her confidence grow.

When she was called back to the window for the interview, The CO was joined by a Vietnamese translator, but my wife didn't need her and conducted the interview in English.

The questions lasted 10 minutes and were rapid fire, directed, and were requested to be backed up by evidence. For example, they discussed my year living in Vietnam:

What is your husband's highest level of school? Bachelor's.

Where did he go to school? University of Paris campus in HCMC.

Do you have his degree? Yes.

How long did he study? One year. Only one year for a Bachelor? He already had three years in the US, just needed to finish. Was required to submit transcripts to qualify.

Do you have those? Yes.

Let me see them? Do you have his degree? Yes. Let me see them.

How did he get to school? He rode his motorbike.

He knows how to ride in Vietnam? He had a license.

Do you have it? Yes, here it is.

And on and on it went. She saw pink, but was required to prove everything. Thank God for good preparation, can't stress this enough. Don't take it lightly, it's not about being able to remember my siblings' names, she knows that because she knows them. It's about being able to prove what you say if they ask.

Later, the CO wanted to look at photos so my wife handed her the book and while she looked at the book, the Vn translator chatted with Anh. When the CO was finished, the translator translated everything they chatted about.

They were professional but had a high proof bar for us. Higher than I've seen for others who have posted reviews. We prepared well, put together a comprehensive interview package, and were able to prove everything she said in the interview. Even if your interview is more like #1, I would highly recommend having a good package that proves everything you say.

We were both so happy last night, we laughed and talked for an hour afterwards. I loved hearing the excitement in her voice, and the relief, and later the exhaustion.

We both went to bed totally spent, but happy to know we will be together soon.

Thank you so much to all the VJers who helped us along the way.

congrats!!!

To quotes a movie, “So how does it happen, great love? Nobody knows... but what I can tell you is that it happens in the blink of an eye. One Moment you're enjoying your life, and the next you're wondering how you ever lived without them.” I felt I found something with Kieu that is rare in life... true love.

Timeline

Nothing beats a good interviewee!!!

Sounds like you wife walked into battle and won the war single handily.

I have witness several people with major red flags walked out with pinks thanks to being good interviewees!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Congrats!

There's at least one scenario you forgot, which is relatively common.

5. See pink. All smiles. Easy questions. One bombshell question. Smiles disappear. Pink is put away and blue is produced. Get blue.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

just curious what the chat with the translator was about...was it questions in Viet? or just a friendly chat...and if so, why did it have to be translated?? thanks, Long.

To quotes a movie, “So how does it happen, great love? Nobody knows... but what I can tell you is that it happens in the blink of an eye. One Moment you're enjoying your life, and the next you're wondering how you ever lived without them.” I felt I found something with Kieu that is rare in life... true love.

Timeline

Congrats!

There's at least one scenario you forgot, which is relatively common.

5. See pink. All smiles. Easy questions. One bombshell question. Smiles disappear. Pink is put away and blue is produced. Get blue.

Oh, that would be heartbreaking. Does the bombshell tend to be a known red flag or an issue they were previously unaware of?

Timeline

just curious what the chat with the translator was about...was it questions in Viet? or just a friendly chat...and if so, why did it have to be translated?? thanks, Long.

No, I asked her if it was official questions or just small talk, she said just small talk. I've been thinking about the reason also, and I can't think of any. Maybe just so everyone knows what everyone else said.

Congrats!!!

K-1 Visa

I-129F application received at USCIS: November 30, 2010

I-129F approved: March 28, 2011

Packet 3 Received: April 11, 2011

Packet 3 forms submitted to Consulate: May 4, 2011

Packet 4 received: June 16th, 2011

Interview date: July 25, 2011 (Pink!)

Pick up Visa: August 1, 2011

POE: August 5th, 2001 (Woot!)

Timeline

Nothing beats a good interviewee!!!

Sounds like you wife walked into battle and won the war single handily.

I have witness several people with major red flags walked out with pinks thanks to being good interviewees!

My wife has a master's degree in sales and marketing, she's never had a job interview without a job offer so I was confident in her skills, but it sounds like they were the toughest interview yet!

Timeline

Congrats. But why did they have to ask for your school transcripts? That doesn't even make sense...

reg.ula.tion.me.ooow.2011 // tomcat.fight

to do list:
file i-130, petition for alien relative
get immigrant visa
get ssn card and green card
get employment authorization - not required
file I-751, petition to remove the conditions of residence (before 2nd year expires upon entry)
become a US citizen

Thank you Visajourney!

Timeline

Congrats. But why did they have to ask for your school transcripts? That doesn't even make sense...

Maybe to make sure my degree wasn't from a diploma mill. Also, to verify what she said was accurate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.